G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

New PC Parts list

I'm building a new pc and thought some of you may be interested in what and where I'm buying so I thought I would post it up. Budha has been helping find some great deals so far.

Items purchased

Hard Drives - 2 - 500GB 7200 SATA $109.99 each. Total price with tax shipping $244.49
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/469...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Memory - 2- OCZ 2GB ( 2 X 1GB ) Platinum PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory $99.99 each Total price after rebates $ 172.38
http://www.buy.com/prod/ocz-2gb-2-x-...203271640.html

Power Supply - APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL ATX12V / EPS12V 680W - $109.99 after rebate 69.99 + shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148025

Case Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $ 129.99 after rebate 89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

Video Card HIS Hightech H195PRQT512DDN-R-V2 Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported $200.99 after rebate $165.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161093

DVDRW-DL Pioneer Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM $29.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129007

CPU Fan Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU Cooler $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Motherboard / Processor Combo deal Q6600 Quad Core Processor & Intel Motherboard 975XBX2KR $ 489.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...530&CatId=2406

Card Reader Rosewill RCR-103 USB 2.0 Card Reader $11.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223076

The total price for above is $1816.24 shipped but that does include tax on most of the items as they came from cali.
That's a great price considering what you get.

Recap

Intel Quad Core 2.4 GHZ Q6600
4GB DDR2 800MHZ Ram
1TB of disk space (2x500gb)
DVDRW-DL
Card Reader
1GB Network connection
7.1 Audio -Optical and Coaxial out
Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit Video Card

Try doing that with a dell and you come up with about 2500-3200

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
the case is on sale and has a $40 rebate at newegg.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021

spend that money

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Here is Dell's price for the same config.

$2745.55 Shipped. Total savings = 929.32 + if I get all the rebates back then it will be about $200.00 more

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
VIDEO CARD 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
MEDIA READER 13 in 1 Media Card Reader

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 AM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post

$2745.55 Shipped. Total savings = 929.32 + if I get all the rebates back then it will be about $200.00 more

ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Need more ram for the video card... the other day I saw a GeForce 8600 GT that has 1 GB memory in a laptop...

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Gang Green

That system looks pretty good. Seagate hard drives have a 5 yr warranty, which is good. OCZ ram is good. 2GB is fine for anything currently out there.
Video card is 1 generation back, it doesn't support DX10, but it a higher end card for it's generation, and still powerfull enough to run any current game.

The Quad core cpu is not comparable to a what a 9ghz cpu would be if one existed. multicores are not used fully by pretty much any program out there. Windows is multithreaded pretty well, but most games, even ones that have multicore support, will never use them all fully.

Good system all in all.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Ya I was guessing on the = to... lol

as for the video card, it's 4x what I need so it's good for me. I don't play any games on my pc... other then motogp.

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:09 AM
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
That system looks pretty good. Seagate hard drives have a 5 yr warranty, which is good. OCZ ram is good. 2GB is fine for anything currently out there.
Video card is 1 generation back, it doesn't support DX10, but it a higher end card for it's generation, and still powerfull enough to run any current game.

The Quad core cpu is not comparable to a what a 9ghz cpu would be if one existed. multicores are not used fully by pretty much any program out there. Windows is multithreaded pretty well, but most games, even ones that have multicore support, will never use them all fully.

Good system all in all.
Actually a lot of the programs he runs are multi-threaded, and the quad core is great as it can actually be told to only use two cores each for most programs that are multi-threaded if you like.

Photoshop is Multi-threaded
most every video encoding program is multi-threaded.
most dvd ripping programs in current use will multi-thread if necessary.
most business apps, (office, adobe acrobat, etc) will use multiple threads for intensive processes if available.
and IF he wants to run it as a home server, which he does iirc, he can run a db backend on it and that will be multi-threaded as well.

as to the video card, im sorry for anyone that bought a new dx10 card as there is a dx10.1 standard now that is not 100% backward compatible to dx10.
So they basically bought something that will never get used.
game programmers are already working on the 10.1 spec.
thank you microsuck.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Gang Green

Well DX10.1 doesn't really introduce new features, from what I saw it just make some features that were optional, mandatory.

The current DX10 cards are not too good in my opinion anyway, WAY more power usage, for not that much more speed.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
This your linux box R1Lover?

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 PM
we meat again

Quote:

Forgot one thing, you should get 4 x 250 GB drives instead of 2 X 500 ones... better performance... :

¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

No that one is up and running....

This is to be my main system I use at home, then the current system I'm using now will be either a linux system or a media center pc to hook up to my TV. I'm not sure yet.

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Forgot one thing, you should get 4 x 250 GB drives instead of 2 X 500 ones... better performance... :
Well I'm not running raid on this one, so how is it better performance? Just wondering?

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Nice system.

I built mine about three years ago. I bought most of the components up in Canada. The processor and MB were way cheaper. I guess it has to do with the import duties. Check the Canadian web sites. Some stuff is junk, like the power supplies. I only went with the name brand stuff.

If it will save you some money I can bring it down and ship it to you. I'm in BC every other weekend
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscott View Post
Nice system.

I built mine about three years ago. I bought most of the components up in Canada. The processor and MB were way cheaper. I guess it has to do with the import duties. Check the Canadian web sites. Some stuff is junk, like the power supplies. I only went with the name brand stuff.

If it will save you some money I can bring it down and ship it to you. I'm in BC every other weekend
My guess is you probably picked up your parts at a shop located in a Indian reserved area. In Canada, I always drive to the Indian reserved area to pick up the computer parts because you don't pay any taxes over there... :

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 PM

BTW I had nothing but problems trying to run a raid setup on my system. It wasn't stable. Things may have gotten better now though

$0.02

Quote:
My guess is you probably picked up your parts at a shop located in a Indian reserved area. In Canada, I always drive to the Indian reserved area to pick up the computer parts because you don't pay any taxes over there... :

Nope. Most of the shops were in Richmond and Vancouver. There are just a ton of them and they are right next to each other so they are extremely competetive. Even with paying for PST and GST I came out way ahead on the CPU and MB. The MB was about half of what tiger wanted.

Last edited by rocketscott; 08-21-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Well I'm not running raid on this one, so how is it better performance? Just wondering?
Raid or non-raid, more spindles = better performance :

Also, better reliability, when more harddrives you spread out the data, if a harddrive fails, you lose less data than if a really large harddrive fails... :

But of course, the trade off is :dolla

:

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

If you have 10 cars the chances of one of them braking down are very good...

but if you only have two then the odds are reduced.

it's all in how you look at it.

|
|
|
|
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscott View Post
Nope. Most of the shops were in Richmond and Vancouver. There are just a ton of them and they are right next to each other so they are extremely competetive. Even with paying for PST and GST I came out way ahead on the CPU and MB. The MB was about half of what tiger wanted.
You need to find a place inside the Indian reserve, no GST nor PST to pay, you can save even more... :

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
You need to find a place inside the Indian reserve, no GST nor PST to pay, you can save even more... :
You talking about fireworks indian or 7-11 indian?
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:26 PM
we meat again

Quote:
If you have 10 cars the chances of one of them braking down are very good...

but if you only have two then the odds are reduced.

it's all in how you look at it.
hahaha not true, if I have 10 cars, which mean each car I will drive a lot less, so the chances of a breakdown become less again... :

Think about it, 5,000 users spread around 10 cars is better, or spread around 2 cars is better? Which cars you think will be more abused? :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode