G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Wireless Network problems

I'm trying to get my wireless router setup securely and I'm having trouble.

My setup:
Linksys Cable Modem - BEFCMU10
Linksys Wireless-G - WRT54G
IP for my router is obviously 192.168.1.1.

My main desktop(192.168.1.100), my wifes desktop(192.168.1.102), and my work laptop(192.168.1.102) are hard-wired to the router.

I'm trying to get my buddy who is staying with us connected from another room. He has a Linksys wireless card, we installed everything correctly. I turned on broadcast so we could make sure we're finding the right network. The card sees the network fine, we try to connect up and get the following message.

You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found

I've tried a number of things and googled the error message and am having a hard time getting this figured out. I believe that I'm entering the WEP key correctly. I've even tried turning all security off and I still get the same error message. I know the router sees his connection because I can look in MAC Address filtering and his MAC address shows up. I've even tried setting that to allow.

Help! I'm REALLY trying to avoid calling Cisco... last time I tried calling them I got a helpdesk in India and they were about as helpful as a kick in the nuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Gang Green

I assume thats a typo above that two of your computers are both .102

Anyway, first thing. Check the router's wireless security, are you actually using WEP or WPA encryption? WPA is better, but older network cards might not support it, or might need drivers for it.
If you are using WPA, check on his laptop, in the list of wireless networks available (I'm assuming just using the Windows client, not the Linksys one), it should show a lock if the network is encrypted, and should show (WPA) if it's using WPA. If you are using WPA but the computer does not show it, then you need new drivers for his network card, assuming Linksys posted WPA drivers for it.

If you are using WEP on the router, then assuming you are using the right key, it should be picking up an IP. Make sure his wireless network card is setup to obtain an IP automatically.
Once connected, check to see what he is getting for an IP.
If this is Win9x, go to run, type winipcfg
Then select the wireless card, and see what the IP address is, the gateway, and DNS. make sure they all look right (IP should be similar to your other PC's, gateway and DNS should be identical to other PC's).
If WinXP, go to Run, and type in cmd
then at the dos prompt that appears, type ipconfig/all and compare as above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GreenEnvy; 09-05-2007 at 07:30 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM
doomsday machine

...and double-check to make sure DHCP is turned on in your router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
I assume thats a typo above that two of your computers are both .102

Anyway, first thing. Check the router's wireless security, are you actually using WEP or WPA encryption? WPA is better, but older network cards might not support it, or might need drivers for it.
If you are using WPA, check on his laptop, in the list of wireless networks available (I'm assuming just using the Windows client, not the Linksys one), it should show a lock if the network is encrypted, and should show (WPA) if it's using WPA. If you are using WPA but the computer does not show it, then you need new drivers for his network card, assuming Linksys posted WPA drivers for it.

If you are using WEP on the router, then assuming you are using the right key, it should be picking up an IP. Make sure his wireless network card is setup to obtain an IP automatically.
Once connected, check to see what he is getting for an IP.
If this is Win9x, go to run, type winipcfg
Then select the wireless card, and see what the IP address is, the gateway, and DNS. make sure they all look right (IP should be similar to your other PC's, gateway and DNS should be identical to other PC's).
If WinXP, go to Run, and type in cmd
then at the dos prompt that appears, type ipconfig/all and compare as above.
Yeah that was a typo, sorry.

I've tried WEP, WPA, and no Security and I get the same result. I've been using the Linksys client to try and get it connected. Also, it's a desktop using XP, and he bought a Linksys Wireless card(Model WMP54GS) which we installed. IPconfig shows his IP to be configured as 192.168.1.101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagzomatic View Post
...and double-check to make sure DHCP is turned on in your router.
It is.

This is frustrating! Generally speaking I'm fairly savvy on things like this... but this no worky!!

Last edited by Slickpitt; 09-05-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
No Crying Allowed

Post up the model number of the router/wireless

There are a few options in the new ones that restrict internet access..... but without knowning what model you have it's hard to say.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Post up the model number of the router/wireless

There are a few options in the new ones that restrict internet access..... but without knowning what model you have it's hard to say.
Cable Modem: Linksys BEFCMU10 Ver. 2.
Wireless router is: Linksys WRT54G Ver. 6, Firmware v1.02.2.

Linksys Wireless card: Model WMP54GS

I've also tried to get my PS3 to hook up to the Wireless.

I just don't understand why all my computers that are hard-wired to the router work fine, but anything wireless is hosed.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
No Crying Allowed

sorry I missed that in the first post...

It's the same one I have as well..... log into the router... default addy is http://192.168.1.1

Then check the wireless settings and also check the internet restriction settings, see if they are turned off... Also check the dhcp limits... I have mine set to the number of pc's I have on the system. (so nobody else can connect)

if all that is fine, then ping the other pc's on the network... if the others have internet access and you can ping them then it has to be a setting on the wireless config.

The other thing that comes to mind is the internet connection setup on the pc itself.... (but most likely this is fine, but work checking)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Then check the wireless settings and also check the internet restriction settings, see if they are turned off...
Is this what you're talking about? If so is this correct?

router.jpg

Last edited by Slickpitt; 09-05-2007 at 11:50 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Also check the dhcp limits... I have mine set to the number of pc's I have on the system. (so nobody else can connect)
I think it's set to 50(default.)

router2.jpg

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
if all that is fine, then ping the other pc's on the network... if the others have internet access and you can ping them then it has to be a setting on the wireless config.

The other thing that comes to mind is the internet connection setup on the pc itself.... (but most likely this is fine, but work checking)
I can ping the hard-wired computers with no problem. Ping times out on the wireless ones.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Update: I removed the Linksys software from the computer I'm trying to connect and used the XP software to install the driver only from the CD and try and connect. No luck.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 PM
doomsday machine

I'm thinking this may be an issue with your router config, since if I'm gathering correctly the wireless computer is connecting and obtaining an IP address without issue.

I've got the same router at home but I can't remember where all the fun little settings are, and I'm having trouble accessing it remotely at the moment.

Last edited by shagzomatic; 09-05-2007 at 12:44 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
doomsday machine

....either that or some kind of firewall fun on the wireless computer.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagzomatic View Post
I'm thinking this may be an issue with your router config, since if I'm gathering correctly the wireless computer is connecting and obtaining an IP address without issue.

I've got the same router at home but I can't remember where all the fun little settings are, and I'm having trouble accessing it remotely at the moment.
kewl thanks. I've searched all over and this seems like a fairly common problem... but I haven't read any kind of for sure fix. I've tried numerous suggestions but coming up empty. Might just have to break down and call Cisco.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Posting this from my PS3....So wireless works...must be that pc....hrmmm

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
No Crying Allowed

Sound like you got it, an issue with the pc that is trying to connect.

you settings look fine from what I can see

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
This might be a stupid idea, but I recently had pretty similar problems, and spent awhile and all different types of way setting things up, and what it came down to was the fact that my ISP was blocking access b/c of a change in the mac address with the modem.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sound like you got it, an issue with the pc that is trying to connect.

you settings look fine from what I can see
Thanks for taking a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo5 View Post
This might be a stupid idea, but I recently had pretty similar problems, and spent awhile and all different types of way setting things up, and what it came down to was the fact that my ISP was blocking access b/c of a change in the mac address with the modem.
If that were the case, wouldn't the other computers have problems as well?

Last edited by Slickpitt; 09-05-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:57 PM
doomsday machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickpitt View Post
If that were the case, wouldn't the other computers have problems as well?
Yep.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
oh sorry about that, is it just that one pc? I skimmed over it; and thought it said all exlcuding the PS3 were having that problem.

I could connect and retrieve my ip and gateway address and everything, just wasn't able to connect to a browser until I called them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode