G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
USB Ports are Dead :(

Well I don't think I can replace them on a laptop so I was browsing Slickdeals.net and Dell.com basically the coupons on Slickdeals were expired so I priced out some laptops and got the same price for a HP and a Dell..

This is the Dell
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Business
17.0 inch Wide Screen XGA+ LCD Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
160G 5400RPM SATA hard drive
8X CD/DVD Burner w/double-layer DVD+R write capability or w/Roxio Creator (Free upgrade)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT

56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Microsoft® Office Small Business 2007 (Basic+PowerPoint and Publisher)
No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.08

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
don't read this

Guess I could get this and save about $1400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815104803

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 AM
No Crying Allowed

Are you sure it's not a driver or software issue causing the usb ports to be dead?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
don't read this

why would it all of a sudden me a driver or software issue?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM
No Crying Allowed

I'm not sure, but it could be as simple as a Microsoft update that is causing issues.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
don't read this

hmmmmmm.. I did the malicous software updated yesterday

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM
No Crying Allowed

That's just a shot in the dark... but it may be worth looking into.

Also maybe try updating your bios as well, if the above doesn't do it.

If not, hey go buy a new one.... New pc's are always a good thing.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
we meat again

Wait... is your USB drives dead, or USB port?

If it's USB drives, do you leave your USB drives on 24/7? Never do that, XP doesn't see an external USB drive as a real harddrive, so it doesn't power down your USB drive automatically.

:comperror

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

removed the updated reinstalled it and retarded now it works correctly

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
removed the updated reinstalled it and retarded now it works correctly
Wonder how many laptops/pcs rinn has replaced all these years after installing something...

¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
No Crying Allowed

Good to hear...... I just got lucky on that guess.

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Wait... is your USB drives dead, or USB port?

If it's USB drives, do you leave your USB drives on 24/7? Never do that, XP doesn't see an external USB drive as a real harddrive, so it doesn't power down your USB drive automatically.

:comperror
Nothing wrong with a usb drive running 24/7. Nothing is going on while they are just sitting there. There is a small amount of power keeping the chips running, but no reads/writes (unless you added the drive into Vista as a ReadyBoost drive).
If you're refering to an external hard disk, connected via USB (as opposed to a solid state usb disk like a memory stick), then they certainly will use more power, but hard drives don't mind running 24/7.

I turn off basically all power management on my desktops, other then turning off the monitor, and they both run 24/7 (one is a mediaPC, constantly using the disk, other is my file server, I need to be able to get at it from anywhere anytime).

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Wonder how many laptops/pcs rinn has replaced all these years after installing something...
none... :offsett

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
Nothing wrong with a usb drive running 24/7. Nothing is going on while they are just sitting there. There is a small amount of power keeping the chips running, but no reads/writes (unless you added the drive into Vista as a ReadyBoost drive).
If you're refering to an external hard disk, connected via USB (as opposed to a solid state usb disk like a memory stick), then they certainly will use more power, but hard drives don't mind running 24/7.

I turn off basically all power management on my desktops, other then turning off the monitor, and they both run 24/7 (one is a mediaPC, constantly using the disk, other is my file server, I need to be able to get at it from anywhere anytime).
Yeah I was referring to external hd connected via USB... I don't know, but from experiences, I've seen so many external hds get overheated when they're just kept on 24/7 without using... Personally I turn off all my external hds when I don't use them... :comperror

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
No Crying Allowed

I recently bought an external hd enclosure and the heat is an issue with it if left plugged in... It's a cheapo unit and that may be why. I have a couple of other external h/d's that I use 24/7/365 and they stay much cooler, but these are the seagate ones designed for everyday use and not a cheapo enclosure.

|
|
|
|
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Gang Green

If the external enclosure doesn't have a fan on it, then yea, I'd be keeping an eye on the heat levels as well.
The enclosures I use are all well ventilated and have a fan. Seagate drives inside too only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode