G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb AMD confirms triple-core desktop CPU

AMD confirms triple-core desktop CPU

In an effort to regain a competitive edge over Intel, AMD today said that it has added a triple-core version of the upcoming Phenom processor to its roadmap.

Preceding the opening of the Intel Developer Forum by one day, AMD made a rather surprising announcement today. The upcoming Phenom 2x (dual-core) and 4x (quad-core) desktop processors will be joined by a 3x model (triple-core) in the first quarter of 2008. AMD said that these new CPUs, code-named Toliman”, are expected to be the world’s first PC processors to integrate three computational cores on a single die of silicon.

Of course, the 3x Phenoms do not really have just three cores on a die, but rather four with one core being cut off. The chips are based on the same general layout of the CPU architecture that was introduced with the Barcelona quad-core processor last week and that will surface in the Phenom processors as well. The processor will integrate a DDR2 controller, a Hypertransport 3.0 interface, a crossbar switch, a system request interface and 2 MB L3 cache. Since there are only three cores active, the 3x CPU will only have 3 x 512 kB L2 cache, compared to the 4 x 512 kB of the 4x model.

AMD declined to reveal further details about the CPU, such as expected clock speeds, power consumption and pricing – other than its usual claim that it will “price its products competitively.” However, it is clear that AMD will be using the 3x Phenoms to create another pricing tier – to take advantage of its quad-core technology in the mainstream, while protecting the pricing levels of the “real” quad-cores by positioning a triple-core in the mainstream market.

:comperror
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triple_core_amd.jpg (17.0 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
No Crying Allowed

Why not just 4? why even bother with 3?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Gang Green

They make quads as well.
I believe the logic is that sometimes you make a quad with one defective core. instead of throwing it in the trash, they can disable that core and sell it as a triple.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Why not just 4? why even bother with 3?
Price?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
No Crying Allowed

hmmmmm well if the 4th is there then price is no issue... I think the above may make sense.... If you have one bad core sell it as a new design...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
I just want to know when I can buy a quantum computer :comperror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
I just want to know when I can buy a quantum computer :comperror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer
I have one running at 5.7 quMhz...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
I have one running at 5.7 quMhz...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
7c Forever

Quantum computing is a LONG way off yet.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Gang Green

for home yes it is a LONG way off.
A Canadian company has a very basic quantum computer running for business. It's huge, needs to be liquid cooled, and is very sensitive to any sort of movement/vibration, but it does use quantum computing.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
A Canadian company has a very basic quantum computer running for business. It's huge, needs to be liquid cooled, and is very sensitive to any sort of movement/vibration, but it does use quantum computing.
that's actually pretty cool. Is it to a point where it's actually practical?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
I was only joking when I posted that...didnt think they were anything but theoretical. Got any links? (Yeah I'm being too lazy to google lol)

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
hmmmmm well if the 4th is there then price is no issue... I think the above may make sense.... If you have one bad core sell it as a new design...
I was talking about retail sale price... I'm pretty sure the triple will cost less than the quad in buying...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
I was talking about retail sale price... I'm pretty sure the triple will cost less than the quad in buying...
yea, I still don't really know why they bother tho, I mean make a proc that's a quad core with less cache, and sell it as the entry level design. Taking a good QC and chopping a core off it is just kinda barbaric and foolish. "here's what we've made, and now we're gonna bastardize it so we can sell it to you cheaply!"

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
I was only joking when I posted that...didnt think they were anything but theoretical. Got any links? (Yeah I'm being too lazy to google lol)
http://science.slashdot.org/article..../03/09/2129249

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode