G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

DVD+R vs. DVD-R

What's the real difference here and how do I know what to use? Recently I tried to... erm... backup a PS2 game that I already owned. On a DVD-R it wouldn't work, with a DVD+R it worked just fine. I've made legal backups of other PS2 games in the past on DVD-R's without issue. So why was this different? Was the original on a +R or something? If that's the case, how do I determine this in advance?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
No Crying Allowed

The only difference that I know of is compatibility, most newer dvd players will play everything.... some of the older ones will only play certain types.

For example the dvd player I have in the house plays everything... but the one in my wifes Tahoe only plays DVD- Single Layer... so I have to strip the garbage off the dvd's and then burn them to dvd-.

I'm sure there is more to it that others can add but that is my experience.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:35 PM

Here is a good article...

http://www.proactionmedia.com/dvd_media_formats.htm

There are many articles online, but a lot of them are giving wrong information. DVD-R is pronounced "dash R" not "minus R".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Just a side note to dvd player compatibility....also depends on the burner. I can burn a dvd (+r) on the drive in my laptop and it wont play on my older dvd player (the newer one plays it fine). However I can burn the same content on the same +r disc in my external Iomega burner, and it plays in all my dvd players. So go figure.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
Disc quality has a lot to do with it also

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Gang Green

disc quality is the most important, as mayo said.
+r or -r does not matter in 99% of the drives out there. I almost always use -R because I've never had issue with it, but have used +R as well without issue.
I did have issue when buying cheap, crappy discs of either variety.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I've been using Philips or Sony media. It just seems like it depends a lot of the time on what you're trying to copy. I've since copied a few different games on -r's and have had no issue. ANyway... thanks for the info

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode