G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
doomsday machine

Latest spam tactic: mp3s

Had a fresh load of messages hit my inbox at work this morning from strange addresses with no body and an mp3 attached. I figured it was the latest virus attempt (remembering the windows mp3 vulnerability a couple years back).

...and now this shows up on /. -- apparently this is the latest spam tactic. Audio spam. Woo.

Quote:
Spammers are back with a new trick, this time round sending messages with MP3 attachments that contain the latest pump-and-dump stock scams. One sample identified by Sophos was a heavily distorted 30-second MP3 file. A synthetic female voice was used to promote a particular stock. Says Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos: 'Although the spammers seem to have a fair bit to learn about machine-generated sales patter, some companies might consider blocking all MP3s in email as a matter of course. So many music files infringe copyright, and it can be hard for a company to establish which ones are legal and which are not after they have arrived. Blocking MP3s, or at least quarantining until requested by the user, can be a good way for a company to take a proactive stance against the use of email for illegal file sharing. It also has the benefit of neutralizing this sort of spam at the same time.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
No Crying Allowed

bastids...... always something huh.

speaking of spam, I have an e-mail account that I posted in the admin section here and on another forum about 6 months ago. I never use it actually and today for the first time I received three spam messages on it.

Strange how they can find addy's when there not even out there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
doomsday machine

That's simple. Directory harvest attacks. Brute-forcing attempts at sending email to all possible addresses at a domain.

I just want to find the dumbasses who click the links and/or buy stuff from these emails. I've got to believe that in some capacity, if it didn't make financial sense to send this crap it wouldn't be sent. i.e. someone out there is making this type of "advertising" valid by responding to it, or they're falling for scam attempts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
No Crying Allowed

You have a point there...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
ya how is this even profitable who actually falls for these scams

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Ask the Chief

Nice avatar R1Lover....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Nice avatar R1Lover....
Ya she is pretty cute

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Ask the Chief

OHHHHHH.......that's LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
OHHHHHH.......that's LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my new sig someone made for me.

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
doomsday machine

dear.

god.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode