G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Question How Do I Build A website?

I was wanting to build my racing website and I was just wondering on how to do it. the domain name I want is for sale. I went to godaddy.com and its availiable for $9.99 a year. Any tips/info?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Get the domain first.......... register it and you can sit on it for a few weeks why you get it setup

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
don't read this

You need a CMS
https://www.sportbikeforum.net/showthread.php?t=25724

I use Wordpress but it's not that easy to setup I had to have Shagz help me a lot..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
im trying to start one too... ill keep an eye on this thread!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM

You need a host for your files/content in addition to a DNS (domain name server host thingy). Then it all depends if you actually make the content yourself or pay for premade stuff that you edit yourself.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Macromedia Dreamweaver is pretty easy to use if you can get your hands on a copy. I also got some really good advice from Budha(I think it was Budha anyway.)

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
doomsday machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
You need a CMS
https://www.sportbikeforum.net/showthread.php?t=25724

I use Wordpress but it's not that easy to setup I had to have Shagz help me a lot..
If you think Wordpress was hard to set up, most full CMS's are going to be damn near impossible.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
phil-osepher

basics:
-domain name
-hosting
-website creation program (dreamweaver/frontpage etc)

Buy the domain name and get your hosting sorted out. Your hosting source will provide you with a username/pass which you can use to access your server (shared hosting is cheap). You access the server via an FTP program, some use smartftp and there are others out there too.

You utilize your website program to build your site, and then upload it to the server. I almost forgot, you have to point your domain name to that particular server as well, so when people type in your site name it points to your site.

Sorry, I've done all of this quite a few times but writing it all out isn't my forte....

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM
No Crying Allowed

Simple answer......... have alex do it for you...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Simple answer......... have alex do it for you...
Love your new forum too man... Looks like you caught the majority of the R1-forum withdrawal patients

Just became a member there yesterday

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Getting domain name is cheap. $9.99 a year. But Yahoo has a package that you get a domain name and Get a web site + email + domain name.
Web Hosting Starter
Free domain name
Your own professional web site
Easy site building tools and designs
24-7 toll-free customer support
Learn more...
$11.95/mo.
$25 setup fee

Is this a good package you fellas think? Because I know a few things about the computer but not alot. The things you's mentioned like Joomla sees complicated to the untrained.

Help would be appreciated... Thanks

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
don't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagzomatic View Post
If you think Wordpress was hard to set up, most full CMS's are going to be damn near impossible.

the hacking of it to get gallery to work and add the quote at the top was cuz I didn't know I had to actually edit the template..

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgium View Post
Love your new forum too man... Looks like you caught the majority of the R1-forum withdrawal patients

Just became a member there yesterday
Thanks alex.... so far so good

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i use to use notepad to start out making webpages...start there and it makes using those apps much easier in the end once you understand the basics of coding. Adobe golive is my personal favorite application for making webpages.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM

I just went the basics. Bluehost.com has awesome deals on webspace & registration, so you'll never run out of room. Then used Joomla template for the starting site. Now we're going a bit further, I've got a friend that will customise the code to make it more streamlined, and do exactly what I want it to do, rather than be restricted by the original templates.

All up I've probably only spent 40 hours on the site to date.

Must admit I moved away a lot from frontpage etc, as I didn't quite know what I was doing, but once I get this PhD out the way in the next couple of months, I'll probably look into it further.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Gang Green

Wordpress is pretty simple to setup with most hosting providers, because the SQL database is already there. You just copy it to a folder on the server and click on install.php
I have my own domain that hosts my family website, some forums, and webmail.
I also run my own server in the basement that runs Wordpress for blogging, Webguide so I can watch TV from my media center while on the road, and software to let me get at my files on the road.

For basics, get your domain name, then get a hosting company. I use inmotionhosting.com and it's less then $10 a month, I get like 30 gigs of space.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

kneedragger has taken my site name and is going to help me along with it.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
phil-osepher

so don't expect much

really though, might as well pass along what little I know

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
No Crying Allowed

Don't let him charge you

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode