G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Thumbs up This is cool

Starting Monday, Nov. 12, Americans and Canadians will have the chance to add charity and innovation to holiday shopping lists. The One Laptop Per Child organization is offering the chance to purchase two XO laptops—one to be given to a child in the developing world, the other to keep or donate locally.
It's called "Give 1 Get 1" and the $399 offer is good for two weeks. The XO laptops are durable laptops designed for education and connecting kids in developing nations who have never worked with computers.
The One Laptop Per Child Organization has had verbal agreements from many developing country governments to purchase the laptops in bulk, but concrete, signed orders have not been as forthcoming as project founder and chairman Nicholas Negroponte had hoped. So the group has opened up the sale of the laptops from Nov. 12 to Nov. 26 to Americans and Canadians in an effort to spark worldwide sales. They will be delivered by Christmas.
The energy-efficient computers have high-resolution screens, cameras, and peer-to-peer wireless communication capability built in. They run on free open-source software. There are no moving parts—no CD or DVD drive, and no hard drive—just 1GB flash memory and a low-power processor so it can be easily maintained. It can be powered by solar energy, a foot pump, or pull-string powered chargers, and the screen is readable in full sunlight.
The New York Times reports that some members of the laptop project were understandably concerned that if American children were to use them, they would be highly critical when comparing them to Macs and PCs. But focus groups with kids ages 7 to 11 turned in high praise, so they moved ahead with the one-for-one program. For a good look at the XO laptop, check out David Pogue's review in the Times.
Affordable laptops for kids have been top of the news lately. Asus' $400 Eee PC is getting some good early reviews, while Intel announced its $400 flash-memory "Classmate PC" will be tested by the Brazilian government alongside OLPC's XO Laptop.
Whether families keep the second OLPC computer for their kids, Give 1 Get 1 is about the giving. "The main thing is to get this thing started," Negroponte says in the Times piece.
Interested? What would you do with the second laptop if you decide to make the $400 donation?
LINKS:http://www.xogiving.org/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting that. I just called and ordered one for my son. The other will be donated, figured it was for good cause and plus my kid will love it as a Christmas present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrds10 View Post
Thanks for posting that. I just called and ordered one for my son. The other will be donated, figured it was for good cause and plus my kid will love it as a Christmas present.
Let me know what you think of it. I think I might get one for my niece

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 06:26 AM
we meat again

Very cool idea... get one and donate one...

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Don't they run on a Unix based OP?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Ya think 4yrs old is too young for that? might get one for my God Daugter

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
That is a good idea. would val count as a kid that i could donate one to if i bought one?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Ask the Chief

would be cool to get one for the boy, but he'd need a DVD drive.....just too many kid movies to watch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode