G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
edit: 5 Hard drive crashes now

So I've had 3 hard drives crash on my Sony Vaio... Last one lasted 6 days before I got the BSD and a hardware failure...

So basically I just want to send the fucking computer back to them so they can figure this shit out...... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut NO!!!!!!!!! I have to reset the fucking bios and do the recovery disk, and play with my balls while balancing a cup on my fuckin head.....

GOD I FUCKING HATE SONY!!!!!!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
damn bro... that blows...

i bet you paid too much for that sony too...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

oh hell ya but my Dad bought it one day at Bestbuy... so I didn't pay for it..

One thing that is good about knowing something about computers is when the fucking Representives ask you to do something that I already did I just sit there and tell them what they want to hear so I can get the stupid repair done.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
HillBilly

Send a message via AIM to KWComp Send a message via Yahoo to KWComp
Damn, that blows. Lose much data or have you become a backup expert after 3 hard drives?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
doomsday machine

Ok, so if I'm guessing right this is a laptop, no? Granted, it looks like you've got a string of bad luck going, but...you know what one of the biggest reasons is for why hard drives fail more often in laptops? "Power saving" settings. Most of the time, laptops are either pre-set or users set them to spin down the hard disk after X period of inactivity, which saves power and thus adds battery life. The thing it also does is wears out your hard drives because spinning up and spinning down the drives is what wears down drives the most. The more you spin down/up a hard drive, the shorter its life becomes....so make sure that setting is high enough it's not constantly spinning your drive up and down, or else your likelihood of this happening yet again is greatly increased.

I've sat next to people who have the damn thing set to spin down after 1 minute of inactivity. I can about guarantee they're replacing drives like candy.

If you're going to be using your laptop for a while, disable that setting and just let the drive spin. Once a drive is spinning, it doesn't take *that* much extra power, so you won't see a serious battery life hit.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Ask the Chief

Sucks Ryan....I've had a Sony Vaio PC for three years now, without a single problem.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
Next laptop I buy i'm going to walk into best buy or something that way if i have a problem i can walk back in and drop it off and tell the mto fix it. Dell gave me the run around like all hell when we got a bad laptop.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagzomatic View Post
Ok, so if I'm guessing right this is a laptop, no? Granted, it looks like you've got a string of bad luck going, but...you know what one of the biggest reasons is for why hard drives fail more often in laptops? "Power saving" settings. Most of the time, laptops are either pre-set or users set them to spin down the hard disk after X period of inactivity, which saves power and thus adds battery life. The thing it also does is wears out your hard drives because spinning up and spinning down the drives is what wears down drives the most. The more you spin down/up a hard drive, the shorter its life becomes....so make sure that setting is high enough it's not constantly spinning your drive up and down, or else your likelihood of this happening yet again is greatly increased.

I've sat next to people who have the damn thing set to spin down after 1 minute of inactivity. I can about guarantee they're replacing drives like candy.

If you're going to be using your laptop for a while, disable that setting and just let the drive spin. Once a drive is spinning, it doesn't take *that* much extra power, so you won't see a serious battery life hit.
I've got my monitor and HD set to turn off after 15 mins of inactivity. Could I just let my monitor turn off and set the hard drive to "never" ??

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagzomatic View Post

My roommate said the same thing so on Hard Drive 2 I changed that to never spin down the hard drive down it died after about 9 days.. It's something with the computer itself that is killing the hard drive what it is I don't know so I called up the idiots at Sony and their outsourced "tech support" runs through there stupid ass script of bullshit of reseting the bios and doing the recovery when they just can't understand a simple hardware error that windows tells you..

So after 30min of that bullshit I get one of the US reps in San Francisco or some shit at their repair depot and he gets it all setup for me to send the whole computer back. Which was easy I just went to Fed-ex Kinkos and shipped it back.. at least Sony has some deal with them where I just take the computer in with a service number they pack & ship it for me.. easy sleazy...

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 AM
doomsday machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
I've got my monitor and HD set to turn off after 15 mins of inactivity. Could I just let my monitor turn off and set the hard drive to "never" ??
That's what I do on my desktop machines. On my laptop, I've got it set for something fairly high for HD spin-down (maybe like an hour or something? don't remember exactly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
My roommate said the same thing so on Hard Drive 2 I changed that to never spin down the hard drive down it died after about 9 days.. It's something with the computer itself that is killing the hard drive what it is I don't know so I called up the idiots at Sony and their outsourced "tech support" runs through there stupid ass script of bullshit of reseting the bios and doing the recovery when they just can't understand a simple hardware error that windows tells you..

So after 30min of that bullshit I get one of the US reps in San Francisco or some shit at their repair depot and he gets it all setup for me to send the whole computer back. Which was easy I just went to Fed-ex Kinkos and shipped it back.. at least Sony has some deal with them where I just take the computer in with a service number they pack & ship it for me.. easy sleazy...
Yeah, 9 days is not something that would be caused by excessive spin-up/down. That's either a bum drive or possibly something like a power supply overvolting or something. Mostly I just threw that out there as general info, since it was related.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Gang Green

Powersaving should not be a problem on Windows based systems, or most other systems. Having the HDD spin down after 30 minutes (Thats my default) is OK. Even 15 minutes would be fine for most people.

There is a bug, sort of, in the latest Ubuntu I believe, where it will be resetting this like mad,which can wear out the drive quickly. It's not really a bug because Ubuntu just tells the drive to use it's default time for powersave, as opposed to user set time, and the default time from the factory is just way too short. Someone correct me if I'm mis-remembering that.

Anyway, 3 drives quickly would lead me to suspect either heat, or a faulty voltage regulator in the laptop.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

5 F'n Hard Drives Killed by this Computer!
So ya I keep sending this computer back to Sony they slap another fuckin hard drive in it send it back.. it works for about a week then it freezes and the hard drive starts clicking..

THIS IS BULLSHIT I call them up last time telling them I want a new computer I don't want to deal with this, I wanted them to call me before the sent it back last time.. oh no they don't do it, they just slap a new hard drive and then send back. So I start using it leave it on for 3 days and just basically use it for browsing the internet.. The fucker died on Saturday..

So what do I do I call them up again furious but I hate yelling at the dip shits in Customer Service because I've done that job but I am not going to go through this shit again. I tell them this time new computer or a fucking refund well only the Repair service manager can do that but I can't talk to him they need the computer before they can do that...

So now I've got to send this shit ass computer back to Sony again because they are too fucking stupid to realize that 5 dead hard drives is not a hard drive issue..

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM
we meat again

WTF?!?!?! Are they giving you "refurbished" HDDs?

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
No Crying Allowed

damn........... sucks to have your sony... lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
User error
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Gang Green

Well there is obviously another issue causing it, could be voltage, heat, or some bug causing excessive read/writes.

My last laptop's HDD survived being on the back seat of my bike for 3 years to and from work, including a crash at 60mph that sent the laptop bag flipping down the highway
It's still going strong today as a loaner at work.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
don't read this

Ya today at work I will be writing a nice letter to the jackass Repair Center Manager..

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 AM

lol ouch man... I'd be pissed too

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 PM

Since its almost impossible to get them to replace a whole pc, Demand that they replace the mobo along with the next HDD at the very least.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

that's my thinking that it's the Motherboard... we'll see if they even call me before the ship it back the fucking assholes..

I'd rather get a refund and go buy a different computer to be honest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode