G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
question? ?? ??

So like r1lover i to have a home phone we never use. With the exception of some one calling us.The bill that I never look at and my wife just pays it and I saw it was almost 50bucks with $25 in just usage fees and taxes for everything they can. I have a high speed internet dish/antenna on the roof of my house and its plenty fast. The only down side I have noticed is that on a windy day the neighbors trees(that blow in the way of my reception) everything is great. I was thinking of getting Vonage to have my home phone number through and pay 1/2 or better that we are paying now. Any adverse effecs of the vonage thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:09 PM
No Crying Allowed

I knew I could save someone else some money with posting that...

I have a few friends that have vonage and I think they pay 20 bucks tops for everything.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
I have the equivalent service of Vonage through Comcast. I've had no issues with it so far. The 911 service on it works as it should. The modem for it even has a couple hour battery back-up in case the power goes out. Plus the ability to check your voicemail and change all your settings online is pretty cool. I'd say go for it. Why keep paying Ma Bell 30, 40 or 50 bucks a month when you only make half a dozen calls? thats ridiculous!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Gang Green

For VOIP services like vonage, your total bandwidth, ie how quickly files download, isn't really the deciding factor in how well VOIP will work.
Latency (the amount of time data takes to get to the destination) is the most important factor.
Wireless services can have high latency, which is bad. Satellite internet is proably unusable with voip becuase there is a 300-500ms delay for anything going up to the satellite and back down. If it's a microwave line of sight system, you are probably ok.

To test it out, open up a dos window (start, run, type in CMD), and type in:
ping www.google.ca
(I use google because they have plenty of bandwidth, so your connection is the limiting factor, not theirs The canadian site allows pings, the US one doesn't, which is why I said to use .ca not .com).
It will start listing back ping times to you, they should be in milliseconds, so 55ms as an example.
If this number averages over 100ms, you'll notice poor call quality on any voip service. if it's over 200, then it will be very poor.
The lower the better. You can try this with other sites as well. If your numbers are high, you can see where the slowdown is by doing the following also at the dos prompt:
tracert www.google.ca

It will list all the connections your data goes through to get to google and back.
If the high reply times start in the first couple of hops, then your wireless is the limiting factor. if it happens more then 4-5 hops down the line, your connection itself is ok, and it's just general internet traffic causing the slowdown, so you might be ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode