G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Blue-Ray = winner?

Looks like this format war might be all but wrapped-up. Toshiba did slash their HD-DVD player prices, but I suspect it's too little too late.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news...ines/8955.html

Quote:
The deciding vote?

The high-definition DVD war is all but over, according to most industry analysts attending the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas last week. In perhaps the most important “big picture” news of the convention (with apologies to Panasonic and its 150-inch plasma screen), Warner Brothers may have cast the deciding vote by opting to offer its titles on Blu-ray disc over the HD DVD format.

Behind Warner’s decision was widespread fear about the sagging home entertainment market. Many predict that domestic DVD sales fell by nearly three percent in 2007, partly because of confusion in the marketplace over the various formats. Barry M. Meyer, the chief executive of Warner Brothers, told The New York Times that the window of opportunity for high-definition DVD was in danger of being missed if “format confusion continues to linger.”

HD DVD, however, is not dead. Two major studios, Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures, have deals in place to continue releasing their movies exclusively on HD DVD, as does DreamWorks Animation. [However, it’s rumoured that Paramount and Universal will announce a switch to Blu-ray later this year, when their existing agreements expire.]

Toshiba, HD DVD’s main backer, told a briefing at CES that the format “has not lost.” However, a major press conference at the show was canceled after the Warner Brothers announcement, and the HD DVD camp appeared in disarray.

With Warner on board, Blu-ray now has about 70 percent of the market locked up. Walt Disney, 20th Century Fox, MGM, Lionsgate and, of course, Sony are all on Blu-ray’s team.

For Sony, Warner’s decision is a chance to rewrite history: the company faltered in its introduction of Betamax in the consumer market in the 1970s. Many analysts say the HD DVD players now risk becoming the equivalent of Betamax machines, which died out in large part because it became harder for consumers to find Betamax movies as studios shifted allegiance to VHS.
http://www.thetimes.co.za/Business/A...aspx?id=677490

Quote:
The battle to decide on the new HD-disc standard might be over

It seems that the war was won without firing a shot, but in fact there were many salvos fired, all in vain. Blu-ray has all but won the high-definition format war and will almost certainly be the new standard for HD discs.

Last week, Warner’s backing of the format heralded a wave of victory announcements.

Tech pundits have announced that the format wars have been won by Sony’s Blu-ray, which has already captured an estimated two-thirds of disc and player sales globally and has the backing of most Hollywood studios.

It certainly was a pointless war, which consumers, for the most part, failed to engage in. And rightly so, as they waited for either the war to be won or the dual players to arrive and start selling at reasonable prices.

Who can blame them — it was VHS vs Betamax all over again. It’s as if, 20 years later, none of the big-name consumer electronic makers had learnt anything from introducing competing technologies and asking the consumer to choose.

In the blue corner, you have Sony, with its Blu-ray technology, and in the, well, other blue corner, you have Toshiba, with HD DVD format.

Both use a blue laser instead of the current red one, which allows you to cram more data on a DVD because blue light has a shorter wavelength. A current DVD can hold 4.7GB of data (or more, if it’s a commercially made movie DVD), but Blu-ray and HD DVD can hold 10 times that much — about 45GB.

For the movie industry, it means you can include many more features than previously, such as bonus material, and in HD DVD’s case the ability to be more interactive and link to online content and resources.

Commentators have watched in wonder as this Blu-ray vs HD DVD feud developed, with a potential deal fading in late 2006 just as players starting emerging, and a widening split.

It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, to borrow a phrase used to describe the merger of HP and Compaq. The merger led to HP becoming the No 1 technology company

In the 1980s, VHS finally won that format war, in spite of the fact that Betamax was a superior technology and was used by the broadcasting industry as its standard until a few years ago, when the use of digital storage media finally overtook that of tape.

The unknown story, I was told by a Sony executive years ago, was that while Sony wanted licence fees of 50 per Betamax player, JVC realised that a much lower licence fee on VHS tapes would earn it more because of higher sales.

I’ve never been able to confirm this, but it’s a compelling thesis and it underwrites everything we know about the boom in consumer electronics.

But Sony wasn’t going down without a fight. Hardware executives told me Blu-ray was the superior technology, and the launch of Sony’s PlayStation 3 was delayed as they waited to be able to include a Blu-ray player, making the PS3 something of a Trojan horse in the war.

The PS3 was also the cheapest Blu- ray player at the time and gives Sony a significant leg-up in the equally engaging games-console wars against Microsoft’s Xbox 360.

Fortune magazine pointed out a few years ago that it was Sony’s own fault because it contracted an outside company to help it with the blue laser technology, and the company patented its work.

Nonetheless, the biggest problem has been convincing a sceptical public that they need to upgrade.

“There’s nothing wrong with DVD” or “Why should I pay as much for a Blu-ray player as I could for a whole home-theatre system?” are two of the most common comments I hear. And rightly so. For most of the viewing public, good old DVD is more than ample and it’s all paid for.

But HD television, due to be introduced in South Africa in June, and HD players, represent a new quality in television and entertainment, which is indisputably better when you see it.

And once you’ve seen it, you’re hooked.

A simple comparison of scenes in Lord of the Rings I saw online recently (www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/) demonstrates the greater colour saturation, richer images and better quality, if you’re wondering what the fuss is about.

But no one wants the hassle of trying to navigate his/her way through the confusing choices of an HD upgrade — in much the same way I am struggling through the iniquities of buying a new car, an enterprise I find as filled with money traps as, I suspect, most people find technology.

There are several factors to consider: the TV itself (there are three versions of HD quality, and MultiChoice will broadcast only in 720p, for instance), the player (Blu-ray vs HD DVD) and the cost of buying cutting-edge technology when it might or might not be usable.

As I write this, on my laptop’s battery power, because of the infernal rolling blackouts (I refuse to call them “load shedding”, which is just a fancy way to spin the fact that Eskom can’t produce enough of its own so-called load), it’s worth remembering that we’re only a flick away from another of Eskom’s random, economy stifling power outages — and a good book requires no juice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Blu-ray will win out, but the one thing im curious about is the holographic disk that can hold a tetrabyte of space on one layer.. I wonder what will happen when they finally bring those types of disks to the market.

Also seems like microsoft is starting to push digital downloading and gettin away from disks.. Downloading to a drive looks to be the real way to go.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Blu-ray will win out, but the one thing im curious about is the holographic disk that can hold a tetrabyte of space on one layer.. I wonder what will happen when they finally bring those types of disks to the market.

Also seems like microsoft is starting to push digital downloading and gettin away from disks.. Downloading to a drive looks to be the real way to go.
Yeah I think everyone is pushing for digital. Netflix even allows you to watch movies on your PC. I've heard that they're working with Sony to stream Blue-Ray moves via the PS3 tho I don't know how close that is to being a done deal. If that happens I'll be a happy camper!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Faster and Better

To be honest i wonder how long this blu-ray thing will last before digital downloading comes into play. To be honest it seems thats the only true route to go for the future.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 AM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
I can get almost any movie I want through the internet. Thats all digital all the time. If I want to connect it to my plasma I just have to hook up the HDMI cable and I'm good to go.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
people are getting pretty creative with that clip.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Netflix goes BR exclusive

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=947
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080211/netfl..._ray.html?.v=1

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Faster and Better

same with best buy. They will start in the upcoming months
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Ask the Chief

sucks to have an HD-DVD player....

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
sucks to have an HD-DVD player....
not really, I wouldn't be pissed if I had one, still plenty of movies out for it.

It does look like HD-DVD is dead though. I really felt like warning the poor girl buying one for her boyfriend at Futureshop last week, but couldn't bear to break the salespersons heart (commision)

I'll pick up a combo drive for my media center soon, not that I plan on buying many HD movies, but the huge storage space is nice.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

For any of you that have bought an HD-DVD player..

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- Electronics retailer Best Buy Co. said Wednesday it will give gift cards to customers that bought HD-DVD players or HD-DVD attachments from its U.S. stores as the format goes away in favor of the Blu-ray standard.

The products had to be purchased at one of the company's stores prior to Feb. 23.

Best Buy said it will give a $50 gift card for each item, which will likely lead to the distribution of more than $10 million in U.S. gift cards.

The retailer said it will identify customers through its Reward Zone program, performance service plans and through online purchases and will mail out the gift cards to those individuals by May 1.

Customers that feel they won't be identified through these measures can call the company and provide a Best Buy receipt or credit card information for proof of purchase.

Best Buy also said customers that want to get rid of their HD-DVD players can do so by visiting their online trade-in center starting March 21.

Earlier this month rival Circuit City Stores Inc. instructed its stores to "take care of our customers" and accept returns of HD DVD players within 90 days of purchase.
Don't Miss

The HD DVD players can be returned for store credit. The policy doesn't apply to HD DVD movie discs.

The biggest battle between two video formats since Betamax lost out to VHS in the 1980s was resolved after multiple movie studios, including Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Co. Warner Bros. Entertainment and News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox, pledged to support the Blu-ray format.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode