G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

New COMP for the wife

So, I've been buying shit and upgrading my old ass Toshiba laptop for a few years now... Today I bought the wife a new laptop, and needless to say I'm jealous

Sure, It's not a sweet Sony or $2000 uber something but it is nice. It's an HP Pavilion, which I bought after making sure to call R1Lover for advice

It has Vista, and I uploaded my Office Pro 2003 as well. I optimized Vista to remove a lot of the CRAP, and loaded a few other programs for the wife.

So far, I'm impressed and think this will work well for her. She is going back to school to upgrade her LPN to and RN, and she'll be needing a comp for sure. I told her I wouldn't write all her papers for her though

I did get a sweet wireless mouse and 3 in 1 printer added on for like $50 too. Freakin n00bs at the store tried to up-sell me on like $300 worth of crap. I told them no, and they say "you are taking your chances huh?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

oh yea, I uploaded MSN messenger for the wife, and for like 15 minutes I was upstairs and she was downstairs...and we were IMing each other

Freakin n00bs

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM

MSN
KD77: "I'll be downstairs watching the game..."
Mrs. KD77: "Tonight you sleep on the couch!"

door *click*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

actually Val, I was sending her many of the icons that I got from you and she was cracking up!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

HP makes some good laptops. I was issued an HP Compaq 6910p and haven't had any issues with the hardware. The OS on the other hand... What do you expect from a very large corporation pushing shit down on the computers. Half of the IT staff has been in the company for 20+ years and only know what they learned when they start. 75% of the rest are H-1B workers who can barely speak english and don't know how to do their job.

Thankfully, I subcontract for them so I don't have to deal with most of the company politics.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Fjorn

yea, you are much more knowledgeable than I....

I was cracking up though. Dude wanted to charge me like $200 to boot up the comp, and make sure the systems worked and the anti-virus was installed. I was like "hell no."

First thing I did was to remove alot of that shat, and install AVG... I'm no guru but I don't need to pay some geek at Best Buy $200 to start up my comp and install some weak assed Norton.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM

That's how you do it. Most places call that "optimization" and charge an arm and a leg for it. It's not difficult by any means, just takes some time to learn and tweak a few things is all.

For Windows systems, my typical list of "must have" applications for your average users:

AVG
Firefox w/ad-block plus
Ad-Aware
Open Office
The Gimp
Ccleanup

Most everything else is specific to what's needed based upon how it's used. I'm just about out of space on my 80GB HDD due to all the apps I need. I've been looking for faster drives, but not really liking what I see in the SAS 7200rpm laptop drives so far. I'd go SSD, but they have even smaller capacity.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

holy chit... they called it optimization too

yea I have FF and AVG (my daughter laughed when I called it "internet Exploder"), but I noticed with the free version of AVG there is no spyware protection so I will look into something like adware.

I went to uninstall programs and it seemed like the damn thing had a lot of crap on it.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
doomsday machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
Fjorn

yea, you are much more knowledgeable than I....

I was cracking up though. Dude wanted to charge me like $200 to boot up the comp, and make sure the systems worked and the anti-virus was installed. I was like "hell no."

First thing I did was to remove alot of that shat, and install AVG... I'm no guru but I don't need to pay some geek at Best Buy $200 to start up my comp and install some weak assed Norton.
When they tried to sell this to me I just told them that windows wasn't even going to be on it much past about 10 minutes after I got it home.

He didn't really know what to say to that. :laugh
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Nice laptop KD

We got the 12.1 tablet laptop from HP it's great.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
For Windows systems, my typical list of "must have" applications for your average users:

AVG
Firefox w/ad-block plus
Ad-Aware
Open Office
The Gimp
Ccleanup
Mr. Fjorn, I know what AVG, Firefox and Ad-Aware is as I use them on my computer. I did not know what the rest were, but I looked them up. Let me know if my understanding of them is correct.

Open Office - Word processing proggie similair to MS Office?
The Gimp - Photo editing software similair to Photoshop?
Ccleanup - cleans your HD of unused/unnecessary files?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM
No Crying Allowed

Sweet bro, there is no need for any spyware protection... I have never used it and never will. The free version of agv is perfectly fine as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez5000 View Post
Mr. Fjorn, I know what AVG, Firefox and Ad-Aware is as I use them on my computer. I did not know what the rest were, but I looked them up. Let me know if my understanding of them is correct.

Open Office - Word processing proggie similair to MS Office?
The Gimp - Photo editing software similair to Photoshop?
Ccleanup - cleans your HD of unused/unnecessary files?
Correct.

No need to pay for the big programs when you can get open source alternatives for free. I'm against pirating of software, so like to make aware of open source alternatives that you can legally use for free. Or, if you like the program enough, to donate some money to help support the continued development and improvement of the program.

Most people don't need to use MS Office, or Photoshop as they don't have a need for them professionally. If you do, then by all means use them.

Ccleanup is a great utility. It not only cleans unused files, it will also go through your registry if you want it to. Be careful with that option though. I've never had a problem with it, but any time you deal with a registry edit, it might cause adverse effects.

KD, AVG will do you fine. Especially if you only go to known and trusted sites. Use utilities such as Ad-aware and Ccleaner to remove them from your computer.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Gang Green

It appears Fjorn and I have similar taste in software,

I load AVG on any computer where the person wants free A/V. If they are willing to pay, NOD32 is my favourite.
Ad-aware is the only spyware remover I normally run, there are so many pieces of crap pretending to be spyware removers out there it's not funny.
Firefox or opera, depending on my mood, though IE7 is loads ahead of IE6, so I usually use it for my day to day work stuff.
I'm not into images so no need for gimp, but I have used it on occasion.
OpenOffice, I load this on peoples PC's who don't want to fork out for MS-office, but I get free ms-office from work, so it I use it. OpenOffice has come a long way, but MS-Office is still a vastly superior program for most tasks. Whether it's worth the hundreds they want for it is worth it, is another story.

Some other programs,
VLC Media player
A codec pack
Nero

Nero isn't free, but it does come with pretty much any cd/dvd drive you buy.

PS - AVG does have a free spyware program too, http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...yware/us/frt/0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode