G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
HillBilly

Send a message via AIM to KWComp Send a message via Yahoo to KWComp
Need some help on a new computer decision

I have been shopping new laptops for a while but I am torn on maybe getting a new desktop instead. I am looking for some guru input so heres some history. I do a ton of work on the go, and I like having EVERYTHING with me so I can do what ever needs to be done, where ever I am at - at that moment. That being said, I currently use my laptop for everything. But I am tired of the extremely short life cycle of laptops - they get outdated to damn fast and have zero upgrade potential.

That being said, I was thinking about a seriously high end laptop, (Core 2 Extreme, Raid 0 with 400 gig, 4 gig ram, dual graphics cards - Nvidia 8800GT) hoping to stretch out the product life cycle some. But when you start looking at that kind of coin, you can buy one hell of a desktop machine.

Then I am back to synchronizing files though, dual licenese of software to be able to work on both machines....blah blah blah.

I know quite a few of you are like me, and working on the go quite a bit. What do you guys do to have access to your files on the go? Are you synchronizing drives or data directories all the time? Or do yo access your computer from home via an online connection (this is a possibility in the future for me as I just switched to an ISP with a dedicated IP connection at home)

What I am getting at is, I am starting to lean towards a new desktop and keeping my existing laptop. I could live with the lagging performance of my existing laptop if I had a desktop at home to do the grunt work. But manually having to synchronize data and all that jazz drives me up a wall. So if you have an idea for sharing files between computers let me hear it.

Last edited by KWComp; 02-11-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Personally I'd rather have a beast of a desktop at home... and a run-of-the-mill average laptop for on the go type things. But that's me. But then again... it appears I don't have near the on the go needs that you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM
No Crying Allowed

I have a few desktops at the house all networked for sharing things, and my laptop I use when away from the house. I'm also looking for a more mobile laptop or maybe even a tablet pc to use when away.

As for sharing files between them, if it's just a few docs I copy them on a thumbdrive. If I forget something I just log into the house via the internet and get whatever I need or forgot.

My opinion on a big laptop like you are describing is it's a lot more money then a desktop and you get less, so I'm torn there. I bought a dell laptop about 4 years ago, when I did I bought med to upper end and since I have owned it all I have done was upgrade the hard drive to a 7200 speed and it's still a great working machine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
HillBilly

Send a message via AIM to KWComp Send a message via Yahoo to KWComp
Ok, So when you log into your computers at home how are you doing it? VPN, FTP, or something else? I have an older desktop and some network drives all connected together at home currently. Just not sure of the best way to access them from the road.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Gang Green

I have a work provided laptop, it's actually quite powerful (C2D 2.0ghz, 2gb, Geforce Go 7600), but I only use it for gaming when I have LAN parties and someone is short a computer.
I connect into my house whenever I need something. I have a normal PC (XP/Vista), Media center (Vista), and a Server (Windows Home server), all of which I can remote desktop into.
The Server also has Webdav folders so I can copy files to/from it easily too.

I'd prefer a run of the mill laptop and a powerful desktop myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode