G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Question Why do print jobs grow so large in queue?

Hey guys,

Wondering if any of other IT guys noticed that when you print a PPT or PDF, that the file that you print goes from being 10meg to over 200meg.

Is it the PCL drivers? That is what I'm thinking causing the problem, because then it won't help if more memory is added.

Here is some more background info.

OS is XP sp2
Printer setup is straight IP
Properties of the printer are set to print at maximum speed. Which i just changed from automatic, so there is a possibility to lose info from the print job. Only other setting was best printing (I forgot the exact wording) but it ensures no lose of data. And that is not the case of what the print job is growing size.

None of the setting I've changed in the printer properties made any difference either. I did look to remove spooling, but that wasn't an option.

Let me know what you guys think. Going to still research the web.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Gang Green

Is it just a single copy being sent?
I believe if you are sending multiple copies, the computer will send the document that number of times, not send it once and tell the printer to make several copies.

Other then that, my only though is that when converting from the native format to PCL, it can't use compression on the data anymore, so the file size is much larger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

It is just one Copy that they are trying to print, I think that basically the PCL drivers are killing me. So now I either suggest them getting a heavy duty printer that comes with print server or we build a print server for that office.

I think that a printer with a print server would be best, since it is a remote office, it anything happens to the printer, if the provider is good it will be in the lease or service contract to take care of it.

Thanks for the input GreenEnvy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
No Crying Allowed

It's the images from my experience... when printing high quality images or products with large images in them it's a big task for a normal pc or printer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
It's the images from my experience... when printing high quality images or products with large images in them it's a big task for a normal pc or printer.
Oh I hear you you on that. I've tried in the past to tell my Director that we need to have the people that create the templates to save the image very small (in memory) format. Or when they are adding additional pictures to again make sure the file size is small, rather than a 5 meg file.

In the long run it would save space on file servers, our email server, and may help with printing as well.

I just again told this to my new manager and she agrees, but I'll wait to see if this happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode