G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Gang Green

New system issues

Looking for some pointers.

I upgraded my system yesterday, new parts:

Asus P5K-E motherboard (p35 chipset)
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
2 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR-PC8500 (1066mhz, 2x1gb)

Remaining from old system:
-Palit 8800GT super 512mb
-Turtlebeach Montego DDL soundcard
-Ultra Xfinity 600W psu

The issue is, that is is unreliable in starting up. I have got Windows installed and it's super quick and rock solid once running, however getting it turned on is the issue.
I'll press power, all the fans come on, but it never boots. The monitor doesn't come up, it just sits there forever. If I hit reset, a few seconds later it powers down for a couple seconds and then powers on again. Sometimes it starts working at this point, sometimes it stays frozen again.
I can tell within a second if it will boot or not, because the tracer ram has LED's all over it, and when the system isn't going to boot, those led's dont fire up. If I see the LED's come on, I know it will boot.

I updated the bios from the original 0806 to 1006 version, but the issue remained. I manually set the ram to 2.20v which is that they are supposed to run at, issue remains.

Any ideas? If not I'll start swapping out pieces until I find the culprit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
Looking for some pointers.

I upgraded my system yesterday, new parts:

Asus P5K-E motherboard (p35 chipset)
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
2 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR-PC8500 (1066mhz, 2x1gb)

Remaining from old system:
-Palit 8800GT super 512mb
-Turtlebeach Montego DDL soundcard
-Ultra Xfinity 600W psu

The issue is, that is is unreliable in starting up. I have got Windows installed and it's super quick and rock solid once running, however getting it turned on is the issue.
I'll press power, all the fans come on, but it never boots. The monitor doesn't come up, it just sits there forever. If I hit reset, a few seconds later it powers down for a couple seconds and then powers on again. Sometimes it starts working at this point, sometimes it stays frozen again.
I can tell within a second if it will boot or not, because the tracer ram has LED's all over it, and when the system isn't going to boot, those led's dont fire up. If I see the LED's come on, I know it will boot.

I updated the bios from the original 0806 to 1006 version, but the issue remained. I manually set the ram to 2.20v which is that they are supposed to run at, issue remains.

Any ideas? If not I'll start swapping out pieces until I find the culprit.
I think this is a ram voltage issue, I had a similar issue with my last build. Make sure your motherboard/ram support the voltage of the ram and where you have it set at.

Is this vista? Is this a fresh install? or a copied drive from another system?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Gang Green

OS is a fresh install of XP, but this is well before it gets to the OS, it's not posting.
I'll try playing around with the ram voltage a bit and see if it helps. Thats my main suspect anyway. This particular model of crucial isn't on the official supported list, but others with the same voltage are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Perhaps the motherboard is shorting out... Are you using the motherboard standoffs?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Gang Green

It is on the normal brass standoffs.
I've decided t is a motherboard issue, now whether it's shorting or something else I'm not sure.
I swapped the cpu, ram, video card, and removed all peripherals, and still the same issue.
I'll reseat the whole thing tonight to check for shorts, but I think it's a bad board.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Yea... i recently had a similar issue... send it back
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Gang Green

swapped mobo, all good now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode