G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Firefox's First World Record

CLICK ABOVE FOR THE LINK

It's been well-reported that Firefox 3, Mozilla's popular open-source Web browser, will be released on Tuesday, June 17th.

A big part of the Firefox 3 marketing push is centered around Download Day. The mission of SpreadFirefox.com -- the site where potential users can pledge their support to download Firefox 3 -- is to set a Guinness World Record for highest number of software downloads in a single day.

At press time, there are over 1.16 million people who have signed up on the site to download the browser the day it is released. The United States is leading the charge with over 191,000 pledges. In something of a surprise, Poland and Brazil are neck and neck for the second most pledge with over 81,000 and over 79,000 pledged respectively.

Still, over 1.1 million people: It's a number that seems pretty staggering for anything that isn't the rating of the NBA Finals or the season finale of 'Lost.' It seemed like a logical question should be asked: What is the current Guinness World Record for most software downloaded in a single day?

The answer wasn't quite as easy to track down as you might expect. Surfing over the Guinness World Record homepage, I was expecting to do a quick search and get an easy answer.
It wasn't quite that simple and now, I'm proud to say, I'm officially a registered member of the site and will begin receiving regular updates on other World Record attempts.
But I was in, and that was the important part. I had to resist the urge to check on things like who the youngest person in the world is to wear dentures -- it's Daniel Sanchez-Ruis at 3 years and 301 days, incidentally.

A search on the site yielded no results, but I still wanted to play in the mix so I kicked it up a notch. That means now I'm also a proud member of the press mailing list with the Guinness World Records Website.

Still, no result for the category most software downloaded in a day. After a few more minutes of playing around on the Media Zone page, I was given the option to text a question to the 'Texperts' at Guinness. The service promised a turnaround of two minutes and would only cost 1 UK pound. That translates to something like $74 and is only available in the UK, so I took a pass.

Luckily, I found a note on the site for 'urgent requests.' I gave it a shot, and it only took two days for Jamie Panas, a press and marketing assistant with Guinness World Records, to get back to me.

Here's the e-mail in its entirety:
"Thank you for your inquiry to Guinness World Records. We do not have a current record for this category. Mozilla would be the first to attempt such a feat and potentially get validated by Guinness World Records."

So there it is. Firefox 3 could very well be one of the more innovative Web browsers we've seen in the past few years. And Mozilla is adding to that idea of innovation by throwing something at Guinness that they've never seen: a software download category.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:24 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
was wondering when they were doing that..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Do you think they are having a little issue?

Quote:
Unable to connect to database server

If you still have to install Drupal, proceed to the installation page.
If you have already finished installed Drupal, this either means that the username and password information in your settings.php file is incorrect or that we can't connect to the MySQL database server. This could mean your hosting provider's database server is down.
The MySQL error was: Too many connections.
Currently, the username is sfx_v2 and the database server is 10.2.70.80.
  • Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
  • Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
  • Are you sure that the database server is running?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
don't read this

it's not tuesday yet here or there in Cali

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

While searching for a fix on the new ctrl+s issue, I ran across this new browser that is based off of firefox 3.0, it's geared towards online activities these days... I installed it and am running it along with FF to see how I like it.

Take a look, it's called FLOCK! So far it has some nice features. You input all of your online account info in it, you tube, image sites, face book etc... it's nice.

Quote:
Flock is a consumer Internet business which has developed a free, next generation web browser. The web, and the way people engage online, has evolved dramatically over the past decade. But web browsers - the application that fundamentally enables online experiences and services across ones' connected life - have not kept pace.
Flock is focused on fundamentally evolving the browser, bringing a refreshing new approach to how people use and participate on the web and simplifying social and web-based applications by bringing them one step closer to the user and integrating them directly into the browser.
When using Flock, people can easily discover, access, create and share videos, photos, blogs, feeds and comments across social communities, media providers, and popular websites.
To learn more about Flock, click here.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
I have no Flocking idea Rhett but I did download FF to help the record

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

actually I like the FLOCK better...

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 AM
don't read this

I tried multi times but finally go it from your server..

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
So far.........Total Downloads 5,462,792

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode