G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Vista update and Memory?

Anyone else notice that Vista (32bit) now reconizes more then 3gb of ram? When I built this system I put in 4gb even though Vista only could see 3+gb of it. It was this way for a while now.

After Vista SP1 I think it how shows a full 4GB...... Strange.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Well after a little looking parts of Vista show 4gb total, but the Task Manager is still showing 3.3gb, so even though it can see all of it now, it's still only using 3.3gb rather then 4gb.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vista.jpg (209.4 KB, 2 views)

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
we meat again

The SP1 update is just to "show" the full memory so that people will stop thinking there is a problem, the 32-bit Windows will never able to use the full 4 GB of memory, it was an architectural decision that M$ have made long time ago when they designed Windows. With different combinations of hardware/mobo/chipset/etc, the 32-bit Windows can use from 2.75 to 3.5 GB. If you can use 3.3 GB, I think you're pretty lucky, cause I know a lot of people can only use 3.0 GB. If you want to use your full 4 GB or more in Windows, your only choice is to use a 64-bit version, but then again, some tests have showed that 64-bit Windows will only start showing performance benefits with 8 GB or more RAM.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista...ta-75309.shtml

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archiv...m-problem.aspx

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Thanks Vale...... I was wondering what they were doing.... I guess it will keep most people from questioning it eh? lol

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 AM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Thanks Vale...... I was wondering what they were doing.... I guess it will keep most people from questioning it eh? lol
Yeah lol... I'm pretty sure the tech support line of different computer vendors have received this question a million times already...

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Do you have an 800 number I can post up so you can help them? lol

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Gang Green

as explained above, sp1 will show the full amount, but the 32 bit limit still applies.

For those wondering what the whole limit thing is about, think of it this way.
Say you have a form asking for someones address, it has 3 boxes to enter the house number. So 3-bit number.

What happens when someone with a house number of 2106 tries to fill in the form? they can't, because the address to it requires more digits then provided.

This is whats happening with 32 bit limitations. you have 4GB of ram installed, but the computer can only count as high as 3.5GB or so using a 32 bit number. so it has no way of accessing that higher amount of ram.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Use Linux
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Thx for all the info

and linux is behind me...... lol but I hate turning around

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode