G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Windows Mojave Prank

So they disguise Vista for all the nay-sayers and say it's the new Mojave..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
jimmy crack corn

I was thinking it wasn't as bad as everyone said it was , especially when most pc magazines claim it trys to copy mac os

J/k

David
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
No Crying Allowed

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Gang Green

This is by no means a good scientific study, but it is a smart move by MS.

Basically, they took 120 people who said they disliked Vista and were sticking with XP or other OS. They told them they were going to get a chance to see the next Microsoft OS, codenamed Mojave.
The trick is, they were just using plain old Vista. The vast majority of people said it was good, and then were told it was actually Vista.

This speaks a lot about the negative view people have of Vista, without ever trying it. These people claimed to not like it, but didn't even recognize it when they saw it.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
people are such TARDS!

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:15 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
This is by no means a good scientific study, but it is a smart move by MS.

Basically, they took 120 people who said they disliked Vista and were sticking with XP or other OS. They told them they were going to get a chance to see the next Microsoft OS, codenamed Mojave.
The trick is, they were just using plain old Vista. The vast majority of people said it was good, and then were told it was actually Vista.

This speaks a lot about the negative view people have of Vista, without ever trying it. These people claimed to not like it, but didn't even recognize it when they saw it.
yea it does, but the majority of problems people have with vista is trying to get existing hardware to work with it. Trying it in a lab that MS set-up you won't run into those problems, you'll just get the fancy gizmos.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
yea it does, but the majority of problems people have with vista is trying to get existing hardware to work with it. Trying it in a lab that MS set-up you won't run into those problems, you'll just get the fancy gizmos.
Agreed. However for people buying new pc's, all their hardware is vista compliant. For old hardware, it's really not MS's fault if 3rd party vendors are not supporting their older products.

MS changed the way several key parts of hardware interacted with the OS. The big ones are sound and video. The new sound stack is a vast improvement, but older technologies will be broken by it. Video has a bunch of new technologies, like dx10, and moving it out of the kernel and into the user level. This again broke some old products, but is better in the long run.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
7c Forever

ya absolutly it is better for the long run. Just something tells me that when those folks get a copy of Vista and head home with it, they'll be awfull pissed off when they can't get their printer to work. Or their camera.

I notice tho that computers have basicly become a consumer product these days. Noone really cares if a PC can interact with a robot or datalogger anymore, they've become a stand alone unit. I was looking for a laptop recently and it was very difficult to find one that had both RS232 and DB25 ports, much less worrying about finding an OS that can interact with the machinery. I mean I realize it's all legacy equipment at this point, but the replacement cycle on a PC/Laptop is generally accepted now at 2-3 years, but the replacement cycle on my CNC mill or full size plotter had better be substantially longer than that, and they still need to be operational as the computer industry moves forwards.

anyhow, I'm not trying to knock Vista at all, just observing that there's becoming a wide seperation for what computers USED to be used for, and what they're used for today.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
ya absolutly it is better for the long run. Just something tells me that when those folks get a copy of Vista and head home with it, they'll be awfull pissed off when they can't get their printer to work. Or their camera.

I notice tho that computers have basicly become a consumer product these days. Noone really cares if a PC can interact with a robot or datalogger anymore, they've become a stand alone unit. I was looking for a laptop recently and it was very difficult to find one that had both RS232 and DB25 ports, much less worrying about finding an OS that can interact with the machinery. I mean I realize it's all legacy equipment at this point, but the replacement cycle on a PC/Laptop is generally accepted now at 2-3 years, but the replacement cycle on my CNC mill or full size plotter had better be substantially longer than that, and they still need to be operational as the computer industry moves forwards.

anyhow, I'm not trying to knock Vista at all, just observing that there's becoming a wide seperation for what computers USED to be used for, and what they're used for today.
While Rs232 and db25 ports haven't been mainstream in several years, you can get usb-232 and usb-parrallel cables though that work just fine.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
While Rs232 and db25 ports haven't been mainstream in several years, you can get usb-232 and usb-parrallel cables though that work just fine.
they exist, but the voltage drop across it to the amplifier for the CNC servos is enough that it misses steps at the moment I've got an ooolllllddddd box set-up for that one. The one that's really pickling my brain at the moment is a fuel injection controller that's RS232 that has had similar issues with a USB-232 converter. Maybe there's a brand out there that doesn't suffer the same drops that I haven't found yet.

software for it is a whole different ballgame too.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
No Crying Allowed

It's a normal progression of technology jr, I too fought this on a few pieces of hardware but in the end after trying three different USB converters I found one that worked well. The problem really exist in the outdated hardware I was forced to use though. Anything made in the last 5 years most likely has usb.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
7c Forever

ya you're 100% right, but like I say, some stuff just doesn't work on a 5 year cycle. can't go out and spend a million on a new CNC 'cause the old one has a port that your new computer doesn't like.

what brand converter did you end up using btw?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM
No Crying Allowed

That's true....

1,000,000.00 That's a lot of change..... DAMN

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 PM
7c Forever

yea, not mine, but I'm not keen to see the boss throw down either.

That said I DO have a plotter here that'd be an easy 20k to replace if I had to, so I'll find a redneck way to make it work ratheer than throw down, LMFAO.

oh you've got a couple extra 0's in there too eh?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Last edited by Junior; 07-30-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
No Crying Allowed

Ya I got carried away

I will find the one I ended up using, it might work..

|
|
|
|
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
No Crying Allowed

I had success with this one with an old phone system that needed rs232 for usage reporting. I also used it successfully for connecting a windows box to an older linux server for terminal access. Both of these machines or hardware were pretty picky on the what worked and didn't.
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Belkin...F5U109/p/36389

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Gang Green

This one seems to have good ratings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812107906

I've used a belkin one in the past without issues, not sure which model.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM
7c Forever

sweet deal, thanks guys. Maybe there's a new laptop in the cards after all.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh that's what ya get being an early adopter

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Again tho Vista comes back to hardware. It would be one thing if you just had to upgrade the software...but for it to run as well as it did to impress the people in the vid, most users will ALSO have to upgrade their hardware. Big price difference there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode