G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Google launches internet browser

Google is launching an open source web browser to compete with Internet Explorer and Firefox.
The browser is designed to be lightweight and fast, and to cope with the next generation of web applications that rely on graphics and multimedia.
Called Chrome, it will launch as a beta for Windows machines in 100 countries, with Mac and Linux versions to come.
"We realised... we needed to completely rethink the browser," said Google's Sundar Pichai in a blog post.
The new browser will help Google take advantage of developments it is pushing online in rich web applications that are challenging traditional desktop programs. Google has a suite of web apps, such as Documents, Picasa and Maps which offer functionality that is beginning to replace offline software.
"What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build," Mr Pichai, VP Product Management, wrote.
The launch of a beta version of Chrome on Tuesday will be Google's latest assault on Microsoft's dominance of the PC business. The firm's Internet Explorer program dominates the browser landscape, with 80% of the market.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Google launches internet browser

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
No Crying Allowed

Interesting... I wonder what search engine it will use?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
Interesting... I wonder what search engine it will use?
I think you need some sleep bro

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Illegal Immigrant

Send a message via MSN to Hornetr1
i would be interested in trying it!!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Was reading about this earlier. I'll probly give it a go. One thing that sounded cool was that each tab runs it own process.....so if one open window crashes on you, it only takes down that tab and not the entire browser. If anyone tried it out post your results....

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
7c Forever

^^ now THAT is a good idea.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
Was reading about this earlier. I'll probly give it a go. One thing that sounded cool was that each tab runs it own process.....so if one open window crashes on you, it only takes down that tab and not the entire browser. If anyone tried it out post your results....

Does that mean it will use more resources...mulitple browsers tabbed together....hmmmm

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
doomsday machine

Beware the EULA on this. I read through it and I'm not sure I really like it. I don't think I trust google *that* much.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
No Crying Allowed

What was the issue shagz? Are they recording all movements etc? I would assume they are for research/ads placement crap?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM
No Crying Allowed

Here is the issue on it...

Google, Criticized for Harsh Chrome EULA, Backs Down - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM
No Crying Allowed

Here is there retraction it seems?

Google on Chrome EULA controversy: our bad, we'll change it

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
No Crying Allowed

This one is great

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 PM
7c Forever

fucking gnarly that they'd even try that!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM
No Crying Allowed

I agree lol Their counsel said they use a standard one for most things and it backfired on them with this one... lol

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
heh, chrome no play nice with the uber-dollar netcache we have here... wtf?

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM
No Crying Allowed

I'm testing it now

first thoughts

Very fast

very clean

and alt+s works.

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 PM
No Crying Allowed

Shit, I'm loving the speed of this browser... I'm impressed!

|
|
|
|
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
Shit, I'm loving the speed of this browser... I'm impressed!

Somebody mention speed of a browser.........sorry self pity

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM
No Crying Allowed

Sorry warp.... but it may increase yours as well... lol

It's very light and fast.

|
|
|
|
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM

I like the layout and the speed but the push/scroll mouse wheel is kinda piss me off. The searches are pretty good for me, but it may just be luck of the sites. The small size is nice. With Firefox it seems like I was squeezing everything on one line, although on here it looks like I can fit everything on the single line.

I\'ll add one when there is time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode