G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
Vista 64 Problems.

First off, I must say this is the most aggravating pc build I have ever done; even though I have only done 5 in the past. Usually everything seems to plug right in with XP and or the occasional bug. But holy fuck, I have never had so many chain of errors problems/meltdowns when trying to install a fucking operating system.

Here is what I am running.
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe MOBO
AMD Phenom 9850 2.6GHZ Quad Core Black Edition
Corsair Dominator 4 gigs
EVGA 896MB 448-bit GTX260
Thermaltake 700W PSU
Acer 22' 5ms DVI Monitor
Samsung 700GB 32mb 7200 rpm SATA HDD

Go to try a clean install of Vista on the new HDD. Loads up all the files fine, input the given key code. Keeps chugging along fine. Now comes the frustrating part. You choose what hard drive you want to install the OS too, and so naturally all I have left is the new HDD. It won't let me install it the HDD because it is not formatted, and the OS will not let me format it or load the drivers for it. LOL . Tried through the command prompt for a good while, and no luck. I thought it maybe wasn't a supported hard drive, went back and looked it up; nope it's fine.

I put my old HDD with XP Pro SP3 on it and switch the master/slaves and try again. This time it picks up the both disks(Still won't allow me to install to the new one) and will allow me to install to the old drive with XP. Go to do it this morning and now my new monitor will not stay lit for more than 3 seconds. The green light remains on; but it seems the screen to go blank.

I researched this and apparently, for whatever reason when using it with the DVI cable for XP it completely changes the brightness and contrast settings to "adjust" to XP. WTF.

So it's either that, or one of the capacitors have gone bad in the power supply for it.

SWEEEEEET.

So if any of y'all have suggestions for getting the Vista 64 to install cleanly to the new HDD it would be amazinly helpful. Not having a pc for more than week during schools sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 PM

scrap vista

j/k i actually was looking at getting a new computer and we were going to look into building one, and a few people (technicians) told me that the 64 bit system had many bugs if you were trying to build a system... he didnt go into detail on what they were but he said it had issues and it turned me off from building a 64 bit system...

i can see if i can track down the people that i talked to about it, and if you want i can get the numbers for you.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Gang Green

64 bit has LESS bugs, not more. Vista64 is a very stable system.
There is a lot of stuff out there that won't work in 64 bit, but thats not the fault of the OS, thats either old or very shoddy code.
I've got my main desktop on Vista64, a media center on Vista64, a Server 2008 64 bit machine at home, and another at work. 64 is slightly faster and more reliable.

Now I'm thinking back over a year here so this might have changed, but is your copy of Vista an upgrade license? that could be the reason it won't install on a clean drive. To test the theory, don't put in a cd-key, it will let you go past that screen (it will warn you to make sure you pick the right version on the following screen, which is important).
If when doing this, you now have the option to use that drive, thats the issue. Don't go ahead and install though, because once you get into windows, and try to activate with the key, it won't work.
Upgrade media for Vista requires you install XP, then do the upgrade to Vista.

Next question, go into your bios and see if you have the sata controller in RAID mode. If so, and your not doing raid, turn raid off. Raid mode probably needs a driver for the installer to be able to pickup the drive.

Thirdly, if I remember correctly, when you get to the drive screen in vista's installer, you should be able to highlight the drive you want, and Drive options on the right. Are format/partition options greyed out here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GreenEnvy; 09-11-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
There is a lot of stuff out there that won't work in 64 bit, but thats not the fault of the OS, thats either old or very shoddy code.
I've got my main desktop on Vista64, a media center on Vista64, a Server 2008 64 bit machine at home, and another at work. 64 is slightly faster and more reliable.

Now I'm thinking back over a year here so this might have changed, but is your copy of Vista an upgrade license? that could be the reason it won't install on a clean drive. To test the theory, don't put in a cd-key, it will let you go past that screen (it will warn you to make sure you pick the right version on the following screen, which is important).
If when doing this, you now have the option to use that drive, thats the issue. Don't go ahead and install though, because once you get into windows, and try to activate with the key, it won't work.

Next question, go into your bios and see if you have the sata controller in RAID mode. If so, and your not doing raid, turn raid off. Raid mode probably needs a driver for the installer to be able to pickup the drive.

Thirdly, if I remember correctly, when you get to the drive screen in vista's installer, you should be able to highlight the drive you want, and Drive options on the right. Are format/partition options greyed out here?

Thanks for the quick responses, I should have been more clear.

It is the Full SP1 version; and I'm not knocking the Vista, just been frustrating.

I do have RAID turned off, and yes the format is grayed out but it recognizes the HDD as Unallocated Space 699GB. It is also in the Master Settings and it #1 on the boot priority.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

I think I may try to just run a fresh install of XP on the new HDD, and let it format; then cancel out of the install.

Just hope the monitor will place nicely.

Can't think of too many other things.

Last edited by Mayo5; 09-11-2008 at 02:34 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:

good info, he didnt tell me what the problems were and he did mention that alot of programs wouldnt work for it too, a 64 bit system sounds better now that you have said that
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
7c Forever

64 bit is the shit. converted ~2 years ago and have not looked back.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Gang Green

yea it is mostly lazy companies causing 64bit headaches. I've got a Turtlebeach Mondego DDL soundcard, still for sale on shelves now, but they've said they won't port the drivers to 64bit. Annoying as hell, it's a very good soundcard, but now I've gotta go buy something new if I don't wanna stick with onboard.

I did some reading on your problem, it seems in some cases the vista installer does not give a format option. Boot off the XP disk, have it format the drive NTFS (do full,not quick to ensure a clean drive. This will take hours), and once format is done, then switch back to install Vista.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

[QUOTE=GreenEnvy;436419]yea it is mostly lazy companies causing 64bit headaches. I've got a Turtlebeach Mondego DDL soundcard, still for sale on shelves now, but they've said they won't port the drivers to 64bit. Annoying as hell, it's a very good soundcard, but now I've gotta go buy something new if I don't wanna stick with onboard.

I did some reading on your problem, it seems in some cases the vista installer does not give a format option. Boot off the XP disk, have it format the drive NTFS (do full,not quick to ens ure a clean drive. This will take hours), and once format is done, then switch back to install Vista.[/Qthanks man,that is what I decided to do. I now just wait for negg gto send the replacement monitor
I'm typing this through the PS3 weweb browser, so sorry for any grammar errors. UOTE]

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Ok, finally got my monitor back from new egg, with a new one.

Just put my old hard drive in, and have just done a driver sweeper and cleaned all of the old drivers and registry settings, and just updated all of it to fit the new hardware,etc.

I'm going to play around with this on XP, and place everything in the new external HDD; then format my new Samsung HDD and try to install Vista 64 to that.

Will post back results a little later.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM
No Crying Allowed

Goodluck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Alright, so a long overdue update. I got everything installed and cleared the drivers, and update them to the new ones to run it on XP. Been running it on xp for a little while, getting caught up on school work, etc.

To fix my problem, I loaded up XP on the old hdd driver, then went to manager and created a volume and partition for the new hard drive; and set it to BASIC. Do not have it set on Dynamic. For some reason vista does not like Dynamic hard drives.

That fixed that problem; and it went on installing. Then I got the missing NTLDR files; press ctrl alt delete to restart.

So now, you have to make sure you boot sequence is correct, and the dvd is in the correct cd rom that is first in the boot priority.

This after you clear the hard drive again; and try to reinstall. If that doesn't work; I'm going to try the fixboot command under the command prompt for bootrec.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Gang Green

you've got one sick machine man

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Ok got it working.

I am in the process for installing all the updates, drivers, and getting my old programs back.

So I had to convert my new HDD to Basic and create a new partition and volume on XP. Then switch the just the new harddrive in; and make sure it was master.

Then correct the boot priority, so that the cd-rom that I will be using to place the Vista cd in, will be first.

Then place the cd in and go through the install; and before you do install, go to repair my pc, then command prompt. Type bootrec.exe , then bootrec/FixMbr. Let it restart, and then it worked.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Have everything installed; still working on some programs and of course all of the steam games .

But so far I really like this OS, it is aesthetically more pleasing than XP and right now, it is running 10 fold fast for programs and multiple windows.

It takes alot of tweaking and and adjusting to your liking, but I'm pretty happy with Vista 64 bit right now. Plus I can run Directx 10 on Crysis, and god it looks so much better.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
No Crying Allowed

Sweet, glad you are getting it all worked out...

After using Vista for the last year, I would not go back to XP

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

quick question, how do you turn off the "sleep mode"? It seems to never come back one once entered in it lol.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Gang Green

you can turn off sleep mode in power settings.
A PC now waking properly from sleep is the sign of a driver issue.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

Quote:
you can turn off sleep mode in power settings.
A PC now waking properly from sleep is the sign of a driver issue.
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to figure out. Pretty sure that it's still the graphics card.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Future King of the World

I turned off the sleep mode, and cleaned out my video drivers, apparently a corrupted file or something from initial updated driver.

Grabbed the latest driver for it, and everything has been working great. Am loving Vista 64.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode