G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
jimmy crack corn

Laptop hdd

any body have any experience with these companies?
I'm wanting to upgrade my laptop , but am not sure what name brand is the best or has the best reputation.
are any of these brands something to avoid?
here are the models I am thinking of:

Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive
Seagate Technology - Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive

WD Scorpio® Blue™
500 GB, 3 Gb/s, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM
WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD5000BEVT )

Samsung Spinpoint M
2.5" Hard Disk Drive (HM500LI) 500 GB
http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...7&model_cd=373

I cant find this one so it may not be on the market yet . the 320gb version is an option
toshiba
mk5055gsx 500GB
MKxx55GSX Series 2.5-Inch Hard Disk Drive

thanks in advance

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
No Crying Allowed

What is the primary use of the laptop? if you use it as a mobile pc then stay with the 5400 rpm drive, but if it's primary at home use then up to the 7200 rpm as it will increase the speed & well worth the extra cost.

As far as those brands above, Western Digital is the one I would pick out of those.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 PM
7c Forever

I've had WD's stick bearings on me in high temperature situations before. on 2 seperate occations. Altho that doesn't necessarily mean it's a universal problem. Something to think about tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
jimmy crack corn

thank's guys.

I know nothing about hard drive options and I am unfamiliar with the names western digital and seagate so that answers my question.

David
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
No Crying Allowed

Seagate and WD are both top names... So either one would be good imo I missed that the first one was seagate, (rear too fast )

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 PM
7c Forever

ya all of those options are reasonably good names really.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Gang Green

I always reccomend Seagate these days, they have 5 year warranties on their drives.
I'm about to embark on testing a samsung drive as well, they have been getting good press recently.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 04:19 PM
7c Forever

my opinion is that the warranty on a drive doesn't mean shit. The value of the drive pales in comparison to the value of the data stored on it.

That's not to say that seagate aren't the best drive out there, I don't know, I've always had good luck with 'em so it could well be true. Just the $200 for a drive is nothing in comparison to the hundreds of hours invested in the data.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
my opinion is that the warranty on a drive doesn't mean shit. The value of the drive pales in comparison to the value of the data stored on it.

That's not to say that seagate aren't the best drive out there, I don't know, I've always had good luck with 'em so it could well be true. Just the $200 for a drive is nothing in comparison to the hundreds of hours invested in the data.

If it's important, it should be backed up no matter what. I've got all my critical stuff at home (finances, family photos, etc.) on at least two machines. Unless the house burns down or is robbed, we're OK. For some of it, I also have it on my webhost which is halfway across the continent, so it's good and safe there.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM
7c Forever

eeeiiiii I can't justify throwing down enough to backup everything i consider important (which is pretty much everything.)

The REALLY important stuff forsure is backed up but there's gigs of data that'd sure suck to lose and would be hundreds of hours replacing if the drive calfed.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Gang Green

Yea you have to spend a bit, but with hard drives so cheap (1tb=$150) it makes sense.
Use an old P4 to make a Windows home server machine, set your computers to backup to it nightly. Works great.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
we meat again

Go with Hitachi Travelstar, they're one of the most reliable and overall best performance in NB HDDs, you can check all the reviews online.

For 500GB, they have the 5K500, 5K500.B, and E5K500.

WD is okay, may be a little less quiet than Hitachi.

Samsung HDDs aren't as reliable as Hitachi or WD yet.

Forget Momentus, they're known for high temperature.

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Go with Hitachi Travelstar, they're one of the most reliable and overall best performance in NB HDDs, you can check all the reviews online.

For 500GB, they have the 5K500, 5K500.B, and E5K500.

WD is okay, may be a little less quiet than Hitachi.

Samsung HDDs aren't as reliable as Hitachi or WD yet.

Forget Momentus, they're known for high temperature.
Hitachi has come a long way, but I still cringe when thinking back 5 years or so to the "deathstars" as we called them cause they broke all the time

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
Hitachi has come a long way, but I still cringe when thinking back 5 years or so to the "deathstars" as we called them cause they broke all the time
haha deathstars

Maybe that was back then, although I never had any problem with Hitachi 2.5" HDDs myself, only had a couple of dead Fujitsus. Anyway, right now Hitachi is very reliable.

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode