G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Need advice - 1TB external drive

OK, I need some advice. Shagz, Rhett, and a couple more of you I'm sure; this is probably right up your alley. I finally got around to doing a few upgrades to my computer and based on a suggestion from Shagz I ended up getting a NAS drive. This is the one I ordered: 1 TB My Book World Edition . It was my dumb ass fault for only doing a cursory check of the reviews. I saw a few good ones and a few bad ones and figured I'd take my chances. Well the drive is still sitting on my desk unopened because I started reading up on it. Based on 99% of the reviews I've read since receiving it, the software that comes with it is garbage. It's called MioNet, and to get the full use out of it you actually have to pay a yearly subscription fee. Plus it actually restricts the types of files that can be transferred to a remote computer.

Now several reviews have said that there is a better / alternate way of setting up the drive without their software. In fact Western Digital themselves lists a way of doing it HERE . Only problem is, network setups are not my strong suit. What I need to know is if I attempt to follow this alternate method they list, will I still get full use of the drive from my local computers AND still be able to access it remotely? And if so, how? I guess the Mionet software, while crappy, is set up so dummies like me can just open a web browser, go to their site, and type in my password to get access. Is there still a way to access this drive across the web without using their program? I'm not interested in setting this up as a public share server or some crap. I just want to be able to store and access my media remotely. Is it still do-able with this drive or did I F'up and buy garbage? Thanks in advance for the advice guys....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
No Crying Allowed

What type of files do you want to access remotely?

I installed II7 on one of my pc and installed Tversity, it's only for media, music, video etc.... but it has built in web access as well. I also use RPD if needed.

As for that drive, I would have to read up on it, but you should be able to get a drive that is plug n play without any software.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM
No Crying Allowed

Something else I'm going to try is Windows Home server, I just got my free copy today to test out, it's only about 90 bucks if you buy it, but it is said to be a great solution for the home. Remote access to it any pc at home along with scheduled backups of each pc to the server along with many other features.

I'm going to install it on an old pc and throw in a couple of larger drives too.

I will keep you posted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

ORB.com

So have you tried Windows home server yet Rhett? Curious to see how well it works. $90 wouldn't be bad if its a solid good working program.

By the way, I never did try Tversity; but I did download and instal Orb ( MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software ) and I'm loving it so far.

-Free software
-Browser access to all my home media (photos/music/documents/movies)
-Remote webcam monitoring
-Live TV streaming if you have a tuner attached to your PC

Had to get a little help configuring my router, but after that, installation and setup was a breeze. You tell it which folders you want access to on your remote device and it does the rest. It auto-detected and configured my webcam upon install. So far I've streamed mp3s, AVIs, viewed pics, and peeked at the kids while I was at work....all from my Blackberry, lol. Loving this software! And did I mention it's free?!

I still haven't configured the 1TB drive as a NAS yet. But, since I mapped it and set it up as it's own drive letter, I'm able to stream everything off it with Orb anyways. Highly recommend this one for ease of use

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
No Crying Allowed

Ya I just saw that on the other thread, it looks cool but it running through there website too it seems? Tversity is not dependent on another site and streams to directv, so it works well for what I needed.

I have the copy of home server, I will be installing it today and I will post up a review....

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Gang Green

Windows Home server is a great solution. Simple to use, plenty of plugins available for it.
You can share files locally, and on the internet. You can install Webguide which is a free multimedia server plugin. Now you can watch live TV on it remotely, on other PC's or smartphones. You can also watch/listen to your whole media collection.

I love it, great for when I am stuck somewhere with time to kill.

WHS also backs up all your computers at home (up to 10) and is easy to setup.
It's built on server 2003 which is rock solid. There were some initial bugs with it, but those are long passed.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:57 PM
No Crying Allowed

Ya I just finished the setup of the server and am joining the pc's to it now.. so far it seems pretty slick. I have the trial version for now, I'm hoping I can just change the Key after I purchase it so I don't have to go through the setup again....

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Definitely curious to hear how it goes. If Greenenvy's using and you're working on it Rhett its probably above my level lol. But its always nice to hear about better solutions. Keep us posted.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 AM
No Crying Allowed

Not at all bro, this is very simple (by default) It's basically server 2003 with many functions turned off or not installed. I have it up and running fine, but of course the geek in me is adding more and more functions to the server.... lol

I will update the other thread I started.

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Gang Green

A fairly basic user can install WHS, it only gets techy if you start adding in goodies afterwards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode