G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Question File system format

So which is better FAT or NTFS? Can you switch a drive without losing files?

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
No Crying Allowed

What OS are you running?

I switched one from fat32 to NTFA a while back due to a conflict of FAT32, and the performance of the drive went down the tubes. I'm going to now have to re-format and re-install to fix it, I would not suggest switching like I did

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

I'm running XP Media center. I was wondering because, I only have like 9% left on my drive, and was wondering which was a better system. It currently is formated for NTFS. You said NTFA did I type the wrong type?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
No Crying Allowed

No it was my typo, NTFS is the newer and better format.... stick with that IMO.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

OK cool. Thanks

Quote:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
7c Forever

it's a typo, A and S are next to each other.

FAT32 = "File Allocation Table 32 bit" Which kinda grew out of FAT16 when Windows 95 went 32 bit.

NTFS = Network Technology File System, it came from the Windows NT side of things. since windows 2000, the workstation and server operating systems have basicly been the same base software package, with different add ons.

NTFS has some advantages for metadata, disk allocation techniques, and most importantly, size.

FAT is one of the few things that Bill Gates actually programmed himself. It's been around since the 70's with minor updates from 12 to 16 to 32 bit. There's no 64 bit FAT system. It's really good for solid state shit 'cause it's very straightforward and doesn't take much processor power to push.

FAT is a real fucking mess when you've got big (ergo, more than 40gb) harddrives. To my knowledge, the biggest partition that FAT can "see" is 128gb or so, and that was only with Windows ME, the last of the FAT specific OSes. And iirc it had a 40 bit FAT table to sneak in that much data. FAT32 tho you're limited to I think 32Gb - 1 byte. It got to be a reeeaaaaallll mess when working with systems bigger than that 'cause it arrayed the data on the plates in a linear fashion, whereas NTFS scatters it so that the same pick-up doesn't have to retrieve the entire file, it's being picked up by several. Kinda like RAID but within a single drive.

I've run NTFS since Windows 2000 came out, couldn't tell ya if it's faster or slower. I never really looked back as I saw that size of the partition was gonna be a real issue. I'd recommend going NTFS unless you've got a real need for speed or some extenuating circumstance that makes you wanna run a legacy file system.

All that said, I'm no IT professional, I just followed computers pretty close when I was a teenager and need to use them pretty intensivly for work and don't like to be talked to by the IT guys like I'm a retard.

Belgium or Walker would surely know, they do this for a living. Shagz and Vale both have comp science degrees so they could likely tell you too.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode