G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
New Computer?

So my long-time trusty desktop might be dying on me....I'm not sure yet. First I thought it was the (2 year old) monitor going out...shortly after startup the screen would fade them just go out all together. Swapped it out and still the monitor would die. So I figured it had to be the video card wearing out. Ordered a new one, still did the same thing. That's more or less the extent of my expertise. I'm taking it to one of the IT guys I work with to see if maybe its the power supply failing. Based on what I described to him, he thinks it might be the MoBo going, in which case it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new tower. I know some of you geeks could build one on the cheap but I just dont know enough so I'm looking at buying. I'd love to buy a dream system but just dont have the money so I'm looking around to see whats out there. You guys care to give me your .02 on this one or maybe something in this pricerange? -->

ZT Affinity 7259Xa Desktop featuring AMD Phenomx4 Quad-Core Processor 9550 2.2GHz 4M Cache 1800MHz F - 7259Xa - Buy.com

I've never had an AMD processor but this one sounded like a pretty well rounded system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 PM
No Crying Allowed

It looks good to me but honestly I know nothing about AMD processors so I'm not sure where that one fit's in.

I will take a look around and see what's out there. What is your budget?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
It looks good to me but honestly I know nothing about AMD processors so I'm not sure where that one fit's in.

I will take a look around and see what's out there. What is your budget?
My budget depends on how much overtime I can work lol....but if thats a decent rig for $500 I'm fine with that. Hell I've made due with a 7 year old Dell all this time, that thing has got to be light years ahead of what I'm used to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 AM
7c Forever

That's just about the best AMD proc on the market these days for that segment. Mind you in consumer computing AMD are basicly a budget supplier.

I think it's a good bang for the buck tho.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

AMD's are pretty good and generally without issues. But, recently, I've seen people have problems running some games and apps on them. When they install the program on an equivalent Intel processor with like hardware (except for mobo/cpu) and OS, no issues.

My current system I went with Intel and have no issues.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
AMD's are pretty good and generally without issues. But, recently, I've seen people have problems running some games and apps on them. When they install the program on an equivalent Intel processor with like hardware (except for mobo/cpu) and OS, no issues.

My current system I went with Intel and have no issues.
yea the compatability of certain programs with AMD drivers is not so hot. I've run into that issue with my opterons on a couple of occations, generally it's very rare/old software I see that problem with tho, and I can make it work/find a workaround if I reallly try.

Comes of having >20% market share I guess.

I generally run them tho, I like to support the underdog.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Thanks for the opinions..I might order this one come payday

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Gang Green

Where are you guys running into issues that display on AMD cpu's but not intel? There shouldn't be anyway for that to happen. Processors all support standards, like x86 or x64 (amd64 actually, intel adopted AMD's 64bit arcitecture). There may be certain proprietary technologies one supports that the other doesn't (virtualization, mmx, etc), but that is a feature set difference.
If you had a problem it is most likely chipset, not cpu.

To that system, for the price it's a nice system. The cpu is not AMD's current line, it's a PhenomI, not a phenomII. However it's still damn fast, not as quick as an Intel Core2Duo of the same speed, but still fast. No discrete video card, so gaming will be horrid, but you can add one in anytime.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium
Looks like good bang for the buck.... Go for it - it will blow your current system to pieces !

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Just out of curiosity I've still been looking at a few others. Whats the diff in speed (or otherwise) in the dual vs. quad cores? The one I linked above is a : AMD PHENOMx4 9550 QUAD CORE. I was looking at an Acer system that says: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual-core 2.9GHz. Is there a big performance difference?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 AM
7c Forever

yes, big difference. A full generation, in both chip and chipset, memory too.

The Athlon 64 is socket 940 "Virtual Gorilla" chipset, which is really a 2002 design. That said I'm running that chipset and am happy with it for the moment but it's approaching the socket 940 is fast approaching the end of it's service life. It might be able to keep up now but it's fast becoming an orphan.

All that said, that IS the chipset that hammered a nail firmly into Intels coffin, and was the only one to really do that since Cyrix folded in the mid 90's, think windows 95 era.

The Phenom's are 2007 tech, the first "real" quad cores, rather than a 2-pack of dual cores. Not that it makes a large difference on performance.

---------------------

Greenenvy:

I can't say whether I'd have these problems on an intel 64 bit chipset or not, or even if I just ran a 32 bit OS. I haven't run an intel chip in almost 5 years and I've been on the 64 bit bandwagon for most of that. <shrug>

For what it's worth tho, from the solutions I've come up with to the problems, I agree wholeheartedly that the issue seems to be the motherboard chipset rather than anything else. Seems like the "standard" architecture didn't firm up until late in the developement cycle, if ever for the 940 shit.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

Not sure how you feel about SuSe Linux. But, I got this in my e-mail this morning:

HP's Small & Medium Business Online Store
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
Just out of curiosity I've still been looking at a few others. Whats the diff in speed (or otherwise) in the dual vs. quad cores? The one I linked above is a : AMD PHENOMx4 9550 QUAD CORE. I was looking at an Acer system that says: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual-core 2.9GHz. Is there a big performance difference?
Juniour explained the difference on those specific chips. In general with a dual core vs quad core of the same generation, there is almost zero performance increase using a quad core for most of us. Programs need to be specifically written to take advantage of multiple cores, and the vast majority of them out there do not.

High end, high computational progrograms like 3d rendering programs do take advantage of multiple cores and are very noticably quicker on a quad core. For those of us using Word, excel, playing some games, and surfing the web, there is almost zero difference. 99% of the time the extra cores are just idling since none of the programs take advantage of them.

That being said, I'd still go with a quad core as it futureproofs you a bit. Eventually more programs will support multiple cores, and you'll see performance gains. Windows itself does take advantage of multiple cores, so your user interface might seema bit snappier, but you spend most of your time in programs, not just clicking on UI elements of the OS.
fyi, I have one quadcore PC (intel q6600), and 3 dual cores (2 core2duo's and a Athlon64).

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
7c Forever

i'll pitch in too that my next workstation will almost certainly be i7 based. The only thing that could stop that now is if AMD busts out a new opteron that really kicks ass and takes name.

Current i7 chips are the i7-920, i7-940 and i7-950

something like this would be what you're looking at.
HP Buy an HP Pavilion Elite m9600 and m9600t series desktop PC from HP

I bet there's stuff around with better pricing but at the moment I think the i7 is the most future-proof chipset out there, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't have a 5-7 year effective service life.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
With your phoshop and video editing work you will benefit greatly with a quad core... if you can afford a quad it's worth it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Thanks again for the responses guys. Sorry I havent been on to check...only had 4 days off out of the past 3 weeks. Hopefully all the OT will afford me a nice system though

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Gringorican

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Not sure how you feel about SuSe Linux. But, I got this in my e-mail this morning:
Anyone looking to get more mileage out of their HW should try Linux... but not just try it... give it a real shot.

Specially if you are of those running pirated OS\Software from proprietary co like MS. All that is a good recipe for security risks and if you can deal and fixed them as often as needed with WIndows... you can use Linux with no problems.

We'll not name any names or look to point fingers... you know who you are... its just food for thought.

my .02

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 PM
No Crying Allowed

It used to be a thing of the past but these days I'm not aware of anyone running priated software from MS.... too many issues with it as you mentioned. And the fact that you get a new license for each machine you buy.... I have a few extra ones it seems. So if anyone is running an old xp or vista and needs a license let me know.

|
|
|
|
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:10 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
Anyone looking to get more mileage out of their HW should try Linux... but not just try it... give it a real shot.

Specially if you are of those running pirated OS\Software from proprietary co like MS. All that is a good recipe for security risks and if you can deal and fixed them as often as needed with WIndows... you can use Linux with no problems.

We'll not name any names or look to point fingers... you know who you are... its just food for thought.

my .02
Linux certainly is worth checking out. The non-techies though usually get very frustrated the first time they try to do something we take for granted on Windows like watch a dvd, and are told they have to break out a bash script or compile a repository.
As for pirated copies of windows, there certainly is still a lot of that around, but security shouldn't really be bad on them (though it often is). MS does not do validation checks on security updates, so you should be able to keep a pirated system as secure as a non-pirated one. They do this on purpose, because a non-secure machine hurts us all, pirated or not. In reality, many pirated systems are less secure, but thats down to either lazyness or paranoia on the users behalf.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Gringorican

Granted non-techie types should continue to use products from MS & Apple as their products are geared specifically for those types...

Server business aside ofcoarse.

But pirated software use is still a huge problem. And this is what is often bundled with viruses and worms that can potentially be a huge security risk, SPECIALLY if you are doing your finances on your computer.

Stolen identities and banking information is still a very real problem. And security of such data shouldn't be taken lightly.

Compiling some apps is only needed for souce code, and more often than not apps are already packaged for the most common distributions. Adding repositories is as simple as editing txt files.

Mind you... this is coming from a WIndows Server Admin (my job) and I've only been using Linux for good since Feb this year, although I have tried it in the past. The diff now is that I can finally do all I was doing with Windows in Linux since it has recently made great strides in becoming much more user friendly. Enough that I was able to put my WIndows Admin skills to find my way around with Linux at home.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode