G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Verizon MiFi™2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot

I have been tethering my Verizon Omnia for the last month or two and the biggest problem is when someone calls it drops the net connection. After pissing me off several times in the middle of a transaction or order, I have picked up one of these today.

I have been using it for a few hours and I must say whoever came up with this is pure genius. Compared to ATT 3G speeds this is about double here in my area.

I'm getting about 2000MB down and 700MB up so far with testing. I know this will vary on area but that's only at half signal too.

The best part is you can plug it in directly or it's an actual wireless router that you connect too with wifi.

I strongly recommend this to anyone needing wireless internet on the road or at home where you can't get cable.

Enter your location

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
So what are your Cel bills up to these days?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
I have been tethering my Verizon Omnia for the last month or two and the biggest problem is when someone calls it drops the net connection. After pissing me off several times in the middle of a transaction or order, I have picked up one of these today.

I have been using it for a few hours and I must say whoever came up with this is pure genius. Compared to ATT 3G speeds this is about double here in my area.

I'm getting about 2000MB down and 700MB up so far with testing. I know this will vary on area but that's only at half signal too.

The best part is you can plug it in directly or it's an actual wireless router that you connect too with wifi.

I strongly recommend this to anyone needing wireless internet on the road or at home where you can't get cable.

Enter your location

Well I can guarantee you are not getting 2GB down and .7GB up
I assume you mean 2000KB/700KB, which is much more realistic.

I tether my Tytn2 to my laptop via usb or bluetooth depending on circumstances, works well.
That thing looks huge. The ones sold here look like usb memory sticks, just slide in your sim card and go.

Edit: I see, it's also a wireless router, pretty cool.

Last edited by GreenEnvy; 07-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Yes that was a typo lol

and it's above the size of a credit card and about 1/4 inch thick, so it's pretty small imo.

After using it today the battery last for about 5 hours on it's own... you can use a car charger or plug it in via the usb cable though and it charges either way. I had to stop and pick up a car charger to make the afternoon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 AM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Yes that was a typo lol

dammit

I was just got through telling someone about this new product because I read your writeup and was totally blown away
I should have know 2GBˆ Is almost faster than my line at home.

David
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
dammit

I was just got through telling someone about this new product because I read your writeup and was totally blown away
I should have know 2GBˆ Is almost faster than my line at home.
2GB is much faster then your line at home
The fastest wired network speed available is 1Gb (not even 1GB). 10Gb exists but not for some use without spending TONS of cash.
Thats all only internal speed though, your home internet connection is most likely under 20Mb, even more likely under 10Mb. Verizon FiOs service can deliver upwards of 100Mb, but still no where near the Gb or GB range

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 AM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
2GB is much faster then your line at home
The fastest wired network speed available is 1Gb (not even 1GB). 10Gb exists but not for some use without spending TONS of cash.
Thats all only internal speed though, your home internet connection is most likely under 20Mb, even more likely under 10Mb. Verizon FiOs service can deliver upwards of 100Mb, but still no where near the Gb or GB range
thanks

when I read that I thought I must have 2600Mb/s at home Nope
its something like 2600Kb/s so 2Mb/s Is what I meant.

does that mean he is actually getting 2000 Kb/s up and 700 down?

David

Last edited by macattack; 07-20-2009 at 07:38 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM
jimmy crack corn

all the ABBR's really confuse me. lol

I'm interested in getting rid of my home line this is broadband Right?

I thought broadband was around 2 or 3 times faster than dialup.
how is this so fast?
anyone can feel free to straighten me out again.

David
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

It's not as rast doing 80 mph

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
all the ABBR's really confuse me. lol

I'm interested in getting rid of my home line this is broadband Right?

I thought broadband was around 2 or 3 times faster than dialup.
how is this so fast?
anyone can feel free to straighten me out again.
Broadband speeds vary by the service provider.
My cable connection is 10 megabit (Mb) or 10000 Kilobits(Kb) down, and 800 Kb ) up. Dial up is 56 Kb down, and about 33 Kb up, so my broadband is much more then 2-3 times faster.

Most ISP's offer broadband 'lite' services, which might only be about 3-5 times faster then dial up.

We got rid of our home phone line a couple years ago, we use a VOIP phone service which is great.

Acronym Conversion
Kb = Kilobit
KB = Kilobyte
Mb = Megabit, there are 1000 kilobits in a megabit
MB = Megabyte, there are 1000 kilobytes in a megabyte
Gb = Gigabit, there are 1000 megabits in a gigabit
GB = Gigabyte, there are 1000 megabytes in in a gigabyte

The difference between a bit and a byte in that a byte is 8 bits. so a MegaByte is 8 Megabits.

Last edited by GreenEnvy; 07-27-2009 at 08:32 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Technically it's 1024 but i'm sure you know this and were keeping it simple.

8 Bits = 1 Byte
1024 Bytes = 1 KiloByte
1024 KiloBytes = 1 MegaByte
1024 MegaBytes = 1 GigaByte
1024 GigaBytes = 1 TeraByte

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
jimmy crack corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
Broadband speeds vary by the service provider.
My cable connection is 10 megabit (Mb) or 10000 Kilobits(Kb) down, and 800 Kb ) up. Dial up is 56 Kb down, and about 33 Kb up, so my broadband is much more then 2-3 times faster.

Most ISP's offer broadband 'lite' services, which might only be about 3-5 times faster then dial up.

We got rid of our home phone line a couple years ago, we use a VOIP phone service which is great.

Acronym Conversion
Kb = Kilobit
KB = Kilobyte
Mb = Megabit, there are 1000 kilobits in a megabit
MB = Megabyte, there are 1000 kilobytes in a megabyte
Gb = Gigabit, there are 1000 megabits in a gigabit
GB = Gigabyte, there are 1000 megabytes in in a gigabyte

The difference between a bit and a byte in that a byte is 8 bits. so a MegaByte is 8 Megabits.

good info thanks
Quote:
Technically it's 1024 but i'm sure you know this and were keeping it simple.

8 Bits = 1 Byte
1024 Bytes = 1 KiloByte
1024 KiloBytes = 1 MegaByte
1024 MegaBytes = 1 GigaByte
1024 GigaBytes = 1 TeraByte
It wouldn't have confused me either way

David
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
How many years do you think till these are standard equipment?

Mobile Internet makes its way into cars - Auto Tech- msnbc.com

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Gang Green

Yea I just use 1000 to be simple, too much of a pain to explain it's 1024 due to how base 2 numbering works.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
How many years do you think till these are standard equipment?

Mobile Internet makes its way into cars - Auto Tech- msnbc.com
Well if you just thrown the one I have in the glove box it's the same thing and only 100.00

Not sure why that one is so large.... maybe it was an older thought before the new little ones maybe?

|
|
|
|
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Gang Green

Quote:
Well if you just thrown the one I have in the glove box it's the same thing and only 100.00

Not sure why that one is so large.... maybe it was an older thought before the new little ones maybe?
You can do this much cheaper already.
Something like this: Linksys Wireless-G Router for 3G/UMTS Broadband Review - Networking Reviews - TrustedReviews
is cheaper and does the same thing.

You could also buy a $300 netbook and get a internet usb stick from your cell phone company, then just get a data plan for it. The netbook can use it's wifi to act as a router, or you could just surf on the netbook.

There are several other ways to do this too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode