G33K [email protected] All your geek questions are belong to us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
doomsday machine

Project Icarus

Saw this on /. today. Really cool.

Two MIT students launched a balloon that reached over 17 miles above the earth and took photos from low space...on a budget of $150

Article

Their website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
7c Forever

MASSIVLY cool! holy fack!

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Hmm, FAA don't give a monkeys about anything below four pounds. I wonder what the captain of ingested balloon and accompanied payload into his Boeing or Airbus engine would have to say about that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 PM
7c Forever

didn't Britain use dirigables during WW2 to catch incoming bombers during the blitz?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Serbian Jew Double Bluff

Send a message via MSN to Matt
That's awsome!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM

I gotta admit that when I was a kid, I learnt to make hydrogen at home using basic household items. I had heard about radar and how it worked in different wave lengths. Being the aspiring rocket scientist. I decided in my infinite 12 year old wisdom to launch party balloons (several actually) with strips of aluminum foil attached to them. Not sure if I ever got the foil size right but I do know that my father was talking to one the engineers at work. He had mentioned that the airport radar had picked up several unidentified objects in the air away for our neighbourhood. Of course I asked if that was problem and dad said nothing had happened and they disappeared.
After that I decided no more aluminum foil launches for me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Oh yeah, you won't believe how easy it is to make hydrogen. Would you guys believe that there was the equivalant of the Alchemist cook book back even then. Early 70s.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
isn't it just water and then separating with electricity some how

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
isn't it just water and then separating with electricity some how
Nope didn't use any electrical devices, so simple you will kick yourself and I used everyday household items.

But I won't post here because I don't want any prick blowing themselves up or burning themselves and blaming me.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
7c Forever

there's looooooots of shit you can make with the shit under the sink.

Who wants to place bets on whether I could disable an Abrams or a T-72 with a home made HEAT round or not?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Junior, how about a Sabot round starting with an egg cup and then...

I walked into a school supplies shop in Thailand awhile back. Thinking I would just see books and stuff until I walked down the back and saw all the lab supplies. Holy shit, gallon bottles of hydrogen peroxide, glycerine, condese crystals, magnesium etc etc. No seperation distances, shit if someone were to knock that shit over...I thought it was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing at the violations they would have in my country and the US. I'm a qualified hazardous materials storage area manager and a multi-modal HazDec certifier, so I do know some of rules. Amazing Thailand so they say.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
7c Forever

yea you can make a damned good shaped out of an egg cup, or a flower pot for a little extra mass, but you're losing some on the form factor.

Probably best not to discuss such things on an open forum tho I guess.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM

Yeah Junior,
definitely not the place. One of the things I liked when I was in the Army (yep I was in two services, Navy first Army second) was I got to blow shit up. Ha ha ha.
The biggest users of shaped charges is the demolition industry. You get to see some real neat stuff on the Discovery Channel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode