Newbies New member introductions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

New here from Tempe, AZ

Hey everyone,
I am a college student from Tempe, AZ. I have a truck right now, but Im debating selling my truck and getting a kawi ninja 250. The only reason I am thinking about this is my truck is financially killing me. With only getting 17 mpg on the highway, and paying 1000 dollars every six months for insurance is not exactly smart for my situation right now. Would getting a bike be a smart move for me? I know the ninjas are cheap to buy used, and i already checked the insurance on it, its like 70 a month. Which is very do-able for me. The only doubts I am having about getting a bike as my only vehicle is getting stuff like groceries. I'm sure it is manageable.

Can anybody with experience having a bike as their main vehicle reassure my doubts?

Thanks everyone,
-Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 PM
FAsT BOYS

welcome
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! So, do you advocate having a bike as a primary vehicle? I imagine you are pretty for it, considering you are a moderator and all.

Come on guys, I need swaying to buy a bike. I really want to get one, but some reassurance would be cool from people who know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

being in tempe, weather wont be that big of a deal. buuut, i dont recommend it for a few reasons.

every where you go, your gonna have to carry a helmet and your leathers. (you will be riding in leathers right )

then a backpack to carry anything else.

long story short you have to carry around alot of gear. when you go to a movie theater, you want to bring in your helmet and backpack and sit it on the ground while you watch "how to tame a dragon"??

i dont. just my .02.

K7 GSXR 750 Track, 08 CBR 1KRR Street, 00 YZ250 Dirt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
You could get the bike and use it as your primary transportation but I would get a $500 car for those rainy days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggington View Post
being in tempe, weather wont be that big of a deal. buuut, i dont recommend it for a few reasons.

every where you go, your gonna have to carry a helmet and your leathers. (you will be riding in leathers right )

then a backpack to carry anything else.

long story short you have to carry around alot of gear. when you go to a movie theater, you want to bring in your helmet and backpack and sit it on the ground while you watch "how to tame a dragon"??

i dont. just my .02.
Yes, I will be riding in leathers/ or textile depending on the weather. Gets up to like 120 in the summer. And, since I'm a total newb, I want to get body armor so I dont get mangled if shit hits the fan. I really don't mind lugging my stuff around. I have looked at newenough.com and they have some good deals on back packs with helmet holders built in. So i think it would be sufficient for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
You could get the bike and use it as your primary transportation but I would get a $500 car for those rainy days.
It rains literally about 3-5 days a year here. Haha. And when it does rain, its usually a super light sprinkle. Thanks for the tip though.

The main reason I am doing all this is so I can pay for college next semester. I already have a loan out, but it wont cover all the expenses. And yes, I have a job but being 19 and in school, it doesn't pay that much.

Thanks for all the help, and advice. I really appreciate it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

I have tried several times in the past to go with a bike a primary transportation, and it is really tough. You can only fit so much in a backpack, and you don't really want to go out and get those ridiculous hard bags thrown all over it, and look like you're ready to tour the US for 6 months straight right. If you have to go out to anything remotely formal, even dinner, you show up with helmet head and smell like gas fumes. I'd say look for the low cost car as a backup, and then ride the crap out of the bike as much as you want. At least you'll have a fallback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Welcome Aboard Dez!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode