Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

thinking of heading back to a gym....finally

well after years of avoiding....i have decided I want to weight lift again....dont know why really but it came on strong today at work and I had a few minutes to kill before starting a asignment....(a hour really) so here I am in a cop shop of all places....(remeber that ticket I got recently? lmao)so I sat down and started some reps on their equipment.....bout fifteen mins on arms...maybe 15 mins on legs...and some back and torso working.

thing is...i have no idea of what i am really doing...never been trained officially...the guy I work with is into it but he is one of those I am always right type guys...not my style.

I dont want huge....more bulk yes....cut and defined...yes....have more power..yes....but I dont want to be big(not real big anyways)I used to have some incredible looking shoulders(one of the things that attracted my ex to me) from the job I was doing at the time....i just want to get back in that area but work the whole package a bt better this time.

any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
get back into it. i have recently. use to be very cut/ripped. last year i just got out of it and the hardest thing is getting back into it and what's funny is meeting stone reminded me of how big of a lazyass i've become. now i'm dieting and after my trip i'm about to take will get back into the gym. diet is the best way to start it out as it's probably the most important and once you see gains you'll WANT to go the gym. diet will let you start seeing gains. just have to give it a good 2 weeks chance before the gains come. then the results are visual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 10:34 PM

Start slow is the best advice I can give you. Make it fun by mixing it up. If you aren't feeling it one day go to a track or highschool or something and do lunges, run some stairs. The hardest part is to keep your interest piqued.

I would recommend asking around and getting a trainer. Tell him what you want to do and for him to make a split up for you. ( I could easily do this but since you have seen how EVERYONE says their way is the best I'll spare you the hassle) Then go through one week with him just to get your technique down. The rest of it I'd be happy to help you with.

Yeah be weary of the guys that have it all figured out, most of these guys arne't in the best shape and usually have nagging injuries from overdoing one certain style. Just like ANYTHING there are many ways to get from point A to point B. The tricky part is finding out which path works for your body type, schedule, biomechanics, etc.

Any help and im here just pm me or check out my page. its growing... slowly.. but its getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 AM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmuffinboi
Start slow is the best advice I can give you.
:imwst

for the sake of your motivation and your body, get back into is slowly...

compound exercises to build your general strength back up would probably be a decent place to start...

but, yeah, as stone said, seeing a pt can help you get your technique sorted and a basic routine to keep you going for a while, too

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

ya....I was gonna start machines....move back into free weights a bit down the road.....machines last time helped me define alot...which I have always liked that look.

diet....ahahaha....I really need to work on that....yesterday I cut sodas out entirely from my diet and had some pretty good feelings from it....drank water for a change. GF was was like WTF? well today I am going and looking into some gyms and figure I wil head out to one about 5am everyday...thats a few hours before work so I should be good with having some cool down time also. 8)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
best thing stone said is to make it fun and keep yourself going. I won't lie the best way to keep me going was to spend money on supplements. don't know why but somehow the money seems to keep me motivated. Like i don't want to waste the money so i best make the most of it type of thing.

and yes, don't listen to ANYONE who isn't in shape. their advice might be sound, but i think it keeps your interest up to know those helping you are in shape and it gives you soemthing to strive for. i'm just now getting back into it and will diet before i hit the gym hard.

btw i cut pop first also. hardest thing i did. i love them things but haven't had one for a week. in a few weeks my 6pack will show again i hope.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey
best thing stone said is to make it fun and keep yourself going. I won't lie the best way to keep me going was to spend money on supplements. don't know why but somehow the money seems to keep me motivated. Like i don't want to waste the money so i best make the most of it type of thing.

and yes, don't listen to ANYONE who isn't in shape. their advice might be sound, but i think it keeps your interest up to know those helping you are in shape and it gives you soemthing to strive for. i'm just now getting back into it and will diet before i hit the gym hard.

btw i cut pop first also. hardest thing i did. i love them things but haven't had one for a week. in a few weeks my 6pack will show again i hope.
best of luck!

I should throw up a pic of how I look now and do a later snap see how I am doing....but I look like crap right now

too much and :corn
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1riding
I should throw up a pic of how I look now.................

Go for it. I've been waiting to use this one:

:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Ask the Chief

staying motivated is SO hard.

having kids makes it difficult too. last time i was in the desert in 2004, i was running 5 miles a day, lifting two times a day, and was eating like a pig. I started at 214, and came home 188, lean and cut. stayed on the program for two months after i got back....then had my son. fell off the wagon. i still run a few times a week, but not like i did.

gonna do it again at the end of the year.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I recently started going back. Talk about hard. Plus i have arthiritus (sp?) or at least i will soon...cause i am always popping all my joints. Getting a spare gut is harder to lose than i thought. I have been going for about 2 months and i don't seem to be losing weight like i thought i would. Getting old sucks. Ps. I am 33
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtbiker
I recently started going back. Talk about hard. Plus i have arthiritus (sp?) or at least i will soon...cause i am always popping all my joints. Getting a spare gut is harder to lose than i thought. I have been going for about 2 months and i don't seem to be losing weight like i thought i would. Getting old sucks. Ps. I am 33
welcome to old age huh? yea me too bro....but i still dance around like a young pup..and drink the nights away....funny though....about a year ago I have all but completey quit drinking....a few here and there....i used to be able to down a 12 with out thinking...now 3 and Im ready to crash for the night....party time is over eh?

I burned most of my gut off when my ex left(no appetite for weeks helped)then started riding my mountain bike again....yea....i may smoke but them kids that threw that piece of ice out their window at me were sure surprised when I pulled up at the light...thank god it was only like 100 yards...I woulda died if it was any farther
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
33 and arthritis? damn bro, must be living a hard life.

33 ain't old, if you've maintained. many professional racers out there to prove that.

if you're not losing weight after two months, you gotta stop and look at what you're doing. even under moderate exercise and eating a proper diet, you should be losing 3-5 pounds a month. i lost near 25 pounds in two months, but that was running 5 miles a day. something you're not doing right or enough of.

at least you're out there, bro. that's the start. don't get letdown because of slow weight loss.....it takes persistence! good luck!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:52 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
Plus i have arthiritus (sp?) or at least i will soon...cause i am always popping all my joints.
welcome to disinformation... there is no correlation between the two

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
I have had those same thoughts....

that's the end of my statement..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1riding
I should throw up a pic of how I look now.................

Go for it. I've been waiting to use this one:

:
: : :
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 PM

Yeah popping your joints is just nitrogen being released from the joints. If you have stiff joints you aren't stretching enough. Honestly try it. Most people dont. Im guilty I always wait until my knees get so sore I have to put ben gay on in the morning before i start stretching. Knees are very delicate and the hamstrings being hte longest muscle in the body tighten up very quickly and this puts a sheering stress on the knee and causes pain under the knee cap. If I am good about stretching for one week its amazing how much better my joints feel.

About losing the beer gut. HOnestly green tea man. I know im the GT nazi but im telling you it helps you in so many ways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode