Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
Not sure what to do...

I'm sitting in small town China, just got back over here after a month at home ripping my 2002 R1 around SW Ontario (Canada). Here's the thing, next year I plan on going home for another month or two, but i want to change my appearance for the better.
I'm a skinny dude, but have always been pretty physically active until the last year or so. I trained in and taught Karate for over 8 years, raced F1 sidecars as a 'monkey' for a few seasons after that and went to the gym in the winters. The thing that's pissing me off is that all this INactivity is giving me a gut and there's nothing worse than being a skinny mo'fo' with a gut..
I'm also 40 years old now...
The last time I was checked at a gym (about 2 years ago) my BMI was dead nuts in the middle of the range for my height and weight and my body fat was about 12% (I think) .I'm about 5'9" and 155 lbs.
Here's the problem, the city where I am at is pretty poor, there's a gym but it's full of machines that are like Western gym rejects, some universals and squat machines and some free weights..pretty low tech stuff. Serious dieting is not an option as low fat foods aren't available although fresh fruit and veg are in abundance. On the bright side bread is hard to come by and cheese is a 2 hour bus ride away in the next city over.
Supplements are non existent. I don't drink pop or juices too much, mostly water during the day but I drink too much beer in the evening. I'm looking for a good set of exercises that can be performed with a minimum of equipment but that will make the biggest impact appearance and weight wise. I'm not looking to get huge..for me it's an impossibility..but I would like to strip some fat, get rid of the love handles and tone up some.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:21 AM
No Crying Allowed

Back to the basic's

Push up's
sit up's
pull up's
Running

All of these can be done without any equipment and all work very well....... It can be done, you just have to keep at it. Good luck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Dammit, i hate sit ups!!
They hurt my lower back, knee raises do the same. Any other options for trimming the mid section ... either that or different variations or techniques for performing the exercise??

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:50 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

The gym you describe is perfectly adequate for your needs. You don't need high tech, you need determination, will power and a little ingenuity. Above all else, be consistent with everything.

Does the gym have a barbell and a couple hundred pounds (or kilos) of weights? Dumbbells? You can get a pretty good base going with all of that, as well as what R1Lover mentioned.

Diet is nothing special. Honestly, I despise the action of "dieting" because it's synonymous with suffering and discomfort. The key to success is to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Usually 5-6 meals. Focus on whole foods such as meats, dairy, veggies and fruits. No need to worry about supplements at this point in time. However, if dairy isn't possible then focus on the rest.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:54 AM

BTW, instead of situps work on crunches, reverse crunches, leg raises, etc.

There's nothing wrong with situps if done correctly.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

OK so I'm probably going to get my ass into the gym. I checked the price today and it's like $14 Cdn per month in local currency. Even if I only get there 3 X per week (my work schedule is hectic this semester) it's worth it to use some resistance equipment.

Basic exercises I'm thinking of for overall conditioning:
Chest - Bench and Flies
Back - Lat Pulldown, rows and pull ups
Shoulders - Shoulder press and 'raises'
Arms - Bicep curl, Tricep curl and dips
Legs - Squat (machine), leg extensions and hamstring curls
Gut - crunches and (limited) hanging knee raises / reverse crunches
Also a bit of cardio on a treadmill.

Do you see any problems with this and what combo of reps and sets would give me the most noticeable immediate gains...I'm the kind of guy who gets discouraged and distracted easily if I don't notice improvements...A.D.D or something ...
I don't want to spend hours in the gym but can easily probably fit an hour - 90 minutes 3X per week.

Thanks guys

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 AM

contact slcmuffin

he's the workout guru here.

me...my fate ass needs a gym too....I have begun mountain biking and some serious excerisng again.....but I drink like a mofo...prolly not helping any

<thats pretty much me
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

I'll try dropping him a PM, thanks

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:46 AM

K yama you're set dude.
Cheese, bread, milk, low fat foods really serve no purpose (besides tasting pretty good)

TO make the fastest progress possible you need to stay the hell away from ANY processed foods so it sounds like you will because you dont have a choice.

Stick to lean meats, vegetables and unfrefined carbohydrates. you may have to use rice as a stand in here which is fine but do the best you can to get brown rice... If you only have access to white rice we'll have to go another route.

If you can get Eggs, oats, meats, green vegetables, yams, and potatoes this is the best case scenario. Let me know what you have access too. Once I know what you can get your hands on regularly I'll give you some more specific tips.

You sound like you're in pretty good shape to start with, dont pay any mind to BMI its pointless as a health indicator. (im very biased because im well into the OBESE catagory)

As far as working out you have everything you need. Machines just make life easier thats all. you dont need them.

CHest: presses and flys
SHouldrs: military press and lateral raises
Back: Rows and Chins
Abs: (your lower back hurts because your abs are weak so start slow but try to progress) crunches then work up to leg raises and decline sit ups.***
Arms: Overhead Tricep ext and curls
Legs: Squats and Lunges (lunges suck but they will tighten you up better than anything)
Calves: standing calf raises w/ dumbell

www.exrx.net has some great animations for these and tons more exercises .

*** when you do decline sit ups only go back so far that the tension doesn't transfer to your lower back. You'll feel it if you go to far down the lower back will suddenly take up all the work.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 AM

Where abouts are you located now? I was up in the Toronto area back in August. Was staying in Grimsby, but driving back and forth to Fergus for 10 days. NM, just realized you're over in Asia.

As to your workout, I think you could do better with a full body workout 2 or 3 times per week until you get further along. Something along the order of:

========================
Crunch
Reverse crunch
------------------------------
Bench press (DB or BB)
Pullovers
Row (cable, unilateral or bent over BB)
Squat
Stiff Leg Deadlift
---------------------------------------------
Shoulder press
Shrugs
Bicep curls (hammers, alternating, or EZ-bar curl)
Tricep extensions
=========================================

Should take you roughly 70 minutes to complete with supersetting (doing multiple lifts as a group such as I divided up).

To start, do 10-12 reps of each exercise for three sets each. Reason why is you need to condition your connective tissues before you really start in with the weights. This routine can last you anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks before changing up again. You should be able to see results within the first two weeks.

Your first week or two will be awkward in so far as the weights feeling weird, but once you get used to them you'll be good to go.

I've been lifting for a few years, and go back to this from my split programs once or twice a year for a change up and to relax some. I'm not like Stone who's a true BB'er of the sense. I lift to compliment my sports.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 AM

You mentioned you were skinny.... If you are thinking about going the supplement way, stay clear of the "miracle supplements" like prohormones and stuff, just use the one single supplement that's GUARANTEED to work....

PROTEIN !

Whole whey is usually pretty good.

Other than that, I am all :imwst .

You don't need a fancy gym. Machines are for people who are more concerned about "being seen" in the gym. Free weights is where it's at. Just a bench press, lots of dumbells, couple of barbells and you're good to go. Took me 10 years to realize this. I'm 34 now...

I'm sure you'll do great.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Trust me dude, I don't go there to be 'seen'
As a matter of fact quite the opposite, my problem is that the last time I used this gym I couldn't get a good rhythm going 'cos the Chinese guys who worked the desk would come over 'to talk' or even worse to try and compete with me..
A real pain in hte ass when you just want to focus and get it done.
Now I've got an MP3 player so hopefully I can just ignore them.

Fiorn, I was real close to you, I was in Guelph, about 20 minutes S of Fergus. Did you know that a Tornado went through there a little while ago (about three weeks now) lifted some barns and destroyed some roads and houses. Nothing like New Orleans but pretty heavy for a small community.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Good idea on the MP3 player, great way to tune people out. One of the reasons why I love my personal gym.

I heard that about the tornado ripping thru there. We were there one week prior to it ripping through that area, and we drove thru Guelph (never could figure out how to pronounce that!) daily on what I think was the old 6. I'm sure you're familiar with the Fergus Scottish Fair. I was there for that from August 6th until the 14th.

Take a look at the "Off-season training" thread, there's a picture of me in there.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

You pronounce it like this..Gwelf.
Yep you're right you would have been on old #6, I've been to the Fergus Hi'land games a couple of times and always enjoyed the Heavy events..so you're one of those big bastards are ya??

Good beer, meat pies, fish 'n' chips, pickled eggs, now THAT'S my kind of food
Can't get any of it here unfortunately

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

[quote="slcmuffinboi"].

Quote:
Stick to lean meats, vegetables and unfrefined carbohydrates. you may have to use rice as a stand in here which is fine but do the best you can to get brown rice... If you only have access to white rice we'll have to go another route

Sorry man I haven't even SEEN brown rice here, white or nothing it seems.

Quote:
If you can get Eggs, oats, meats, green vegetables, yams, and potatoes this is the best case scenario. Let me know what you have access too.
We can get eggs, fairly lean meats (if we ask), beef, chicken and pork, fish, green veg (mostly lettuce, cabbage, and leafy greens that they like to stirfry), yams are seasonal, tarot is available seasonally...everything that isn't meat or fish is seasonal it seems. Loads of fresh fruits.

Quote:
You sound like you're in pretty good shape to start with,
Well my blood pressure is good 100 / 70 and I feel relatively healthy for an old fart, but I look like shit; skinny toothpick arms and legs and losing muscle tone faster than I can shake a stick!!

Quote:
www.exrx.net has some great animations for these and tons more exercises

Good tip, thanks dude!

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:58 AM

Hah! So I was right on the pronunciation! Someone mentioned that it's pronounced "Gelf". Ah well... I won't be back there for a couple of years at least. Nice trip, a lot of fun, but cost us a bundle.

Glad you enjoy the Highland Games. They're a lot of fun to compete in finally after watching them for years before finally doing it.

Speaking of working out, time to go downstairs and hit the gym.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Fjorn / Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn
As to your workout, I think you could do better with a full body workout 2 or 3 times per week until you get further along. Something along the order of:

========================
Crunch
Reverse crunch
Bench press (DB or BB)
Pullovers
Row (cable, unilateral or bent over BB)
Squat
Stiff Leg Deadlift
Shoulder press
Shrugs
Bicep curls (hammers, alternating, or EZ-bar curl)
Tricep extensions
=========================================
Wellmy schedule finally calmed down enough that I was able to get into the gym last week.(I know, I know...I've been procrastinating... )

Looking at your suggested full body workout,it seems good and basic for overall strengthening and conditioning but I have one question.

Should I workout in the order that you have suggested each time or should I mix it up to target a different body part first?

Doing the stomach work first is a good idea for me 'cos usually by the time I do everything else I'm too tired to do the ab work and don't really give it a full effort.. But what about the rest of the stuff?

Thanks.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:19 PM

It doesn't have to be done in that exact order. but there is a bit of a science to that madness.

Abs
Upper body
Lower body
Upperbody
Arms

You work the upper body, it gets a little bit of a rest while working the lower, then you work it again. You're also working larger muscle groups to smaller.

Give this a go for about 5 or 6 weeks, then you should be able to move on. Biggest idea with a workout like this is to get consistent, and build a good base that you can go on.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
just thought i'd toss my AU$0.02 in... i travelled overseas for two months... didn't set foot inside a gym the whole time i was away... didn't lose an inch of bulk, but lost a bunch of fat...

you can get good results from simple shit like pushups, situps and squats... i did cheat a little and use my backpack for increased resistance on squats

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Thanks guys,much appreciated..
There's a bonus to this gym that I'm going to that I didn't realize until yesterday.

Cardio classes full of Asian hotties in spandex and boob tubes...

OH Hell YEAH, that's my motivation to keep going right there!

it

Are they hiring?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode