Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Carbs?

Some days I feel over proteined (if that is word or possible). That is to say I feel slow, lethargic, and groggy. This is a different feeling than loss of sleep or over training. I think it is an imbalance between proteins and carbs in my diet. First thoughts on that; then what are some good clean carbs? I am guessing fruit, maybe wheat bread, not sure? This is why I think there is an imbalance. What do you do during the day when you are just dragging and need a boost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:37 PM

eat a twinkie? 3 Musketeers?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Greens primarily. Broccoli, celery, green beans, romain lettuce, etc.

Other choices throughout the day could be whole wheat bread, apple, banana, etc. Try to keep your fruit intake to a minimum, as they can tend to be very sugary and spike insulin.

If you need a quick fix, and there's a vending machine look for milk or apple juice. Otherwise, worse comes to worse, pretzels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
rice=good carbs...wheat also

do a search for a glycemic level chart. you want things low on the glycemic level. they won't build fat nearly as much as things high on the glycemic level. stone can chime in here. veggies=some good carbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM

You want a combination of starchy carbs(complex)&fibrous carbs(simple)
Fibrous carbs are good when you dieting as they "trick" your stomach into feeling full.They have very little caloric value.Meaning,you could eat an entire head of cabbage and you'd be full.But you just ingested less than 500 calories

Complex carbs provide you with energy and are needed to aid in recouperation after training.Like was mentioned,stick with complex carbs that are lower on the Glycemic index.
Sweet potatoes
Oatmeal
Brown rice
White potatoes
Whole wheat pasta
etc.
Stick to carb sources that are minimally processed&refined(brown vs. white rice)

Simple carbs like fruit are a quick energy boost.Just remember if your dieting strictly to avoid these as they convert to fat very easily
Hope that helps a bit
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanx guys! Yeah I think Stone is ticked at me cuz I am cheating on the diet he gave me. Not that I think I know better (cuz that aint true) but damn he wants me to eat alot. I am filling in the gaps with supps, more than he instructed. But I am gaining and I keep trying to eat more. Put me back on the long list Stone!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
You want a combination of starchy carbs(complex)&fibrous carbs(simple)
Fibrous carbs are good when you dieting as they "trick" your stomach into feeling full.They have very little caloric value.Meaning,you could eat an entire head of cabbage and you'd be full.But you just ingested less than 500 calories

Complex carbs provide you with energy and are needed to aid in recouperation after training.Like was mentioned,stick with complex carbs that are lower on the Glycemic index.
Sweet potatoes
Oatmeal
Brown rice
White potatoes
Whole wheat pasta
etc.
Stick to carb sources that are minimally processed&refined(brown vs. white rice)

Simple carbs like fruit are a quick energy boost.Just remember if your dieting strictly to avoid these as they convert to fat very easily
Hope that helps a bit

Not much to add to what old gixx said. Lance I'll bet you are dehydrated. lots of protein takes LOTS of water to process adn excrete all the excess nitrogen. 1.5 gals a day dude or 2.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Your prolly right, cuz it comes and goes. Like today I feel great. I will go grab some more water right now. Thanx guys!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Lance,
as much protein as you're drinking it puts a strain on your body. Keep that water going.. I always feel super lethargic when im dehydrated. TONS of protein will speed dehydration. as well as the creatine and other stuff you're sneaking in lol.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Mummy Man

yup, water with protein! chrystal light is the BEST stuff in de hole wide world

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Pedialyte is what a lot of guys I know use...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Pedialyte is great for hydration if you get behind but if you keep up on it no problems.
Fjorn you should look into glycerol before a meet. You retain a lot more water within the muscles and your core temp stays cooler. google it glycerol/glycerine same stuff. few cool studies on it.

and pedialyte is expensive compared to water.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:29 AM

Thanks Stone, I'll take a look into it. Will be interesting to see what they say and how it could help.

What I typically do is to start drinking more water in addition to what I already do a couple of days out. Normally, I'm averaging about 1.5-2 gallons a day and will go to about 2.5. Then, during the day of the competition itself, I'll alternate between drinking water and Gatorade. On the average thorwing days, I'm drinking close to 4 or 5 gallons.

Any thoughts?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

I have a dumb question for you fjorn. How do you keep track of how much water you drink? Do you always use the same container and you know how much it holds or a gal water jug? Just wonder if you are making an educated guess or you measure.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Yep, I buy a 1 liter Aquafina bottle and refill it numerous times a day.

1 liter = 1.05 quarts

I usually cycle through another bottle about every month just to keep things somewhat clean and by then it's usually beat up enough to almost start leaking.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Mummy Man

crystal light is the best way to get down your water imo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode