Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

favorite workout schedules/routine

there are so many ways to workout, and ive done so many different schedules, but the one that works best for me has been:

2 days on
1 day off
2 days on
2 days off.

day one might be chest and bi's
day two would be shoulders and forearms
day three off
day four would be back and tris
day five back to chest and bi's

then the following week would start off with shoulders on the first day and they would then get worked twice that week.

i dont work the shoulders too much anymore since they are beat up pretty good, so my shoulder workouts would be 6 sets of military press (2 light sets, 1 middle weight set, and 3 heavy sets with dumbells) 4 set of light bent over flies(or something to hit the rear delts), and 4 sets of shrugs.

for chest and back id do 12 sets(usually 4 sets of 3 different exercises), and for arms id do 8-10 sets depending on how they felt. for chest i was doing incline, and flat presses, and weighted dips. for back i would do wide grip pull ups, close grip pullups, and one arm rows (id mix up the order in which i did the exercises since i didnt have access to machines, etc.. ) this is how i worked out at home so i had no provisions for legs. i would run 3 days a week and work calves on the stairs after the run..

this worked really well for me. so what works for you clowns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
workout mon/wed/fri
push, legs, pull

mon=incline bench, close grip flat bench (tris), and shoulder/military press

wed=leg press, deadlift, calf raises

fri=lat pulldown, bicept curls, laying down rowing

that's it all excersizes are done w/ 2 warmups at 50% of weight, and 2 sets till failure. normally out of the gym in about 40 min. aggression is the key to this routine. it's a basic HIT program

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

One of my favorites that I go back to from time to time is a basic full body workout done three times per week:

Abs:
Crunch superset with reverse crunch
Torso Triset: Benchpress - DB pullover - Lat pulldown
Legs: Squat superset with Stiff leg deadlift
Arms: Bicep curls superset with skullcrushers

This is a great basic workout to either start someone off with when they are starting out, to build up conditioning on, or to go back to for a "rest" so to speak. The determining factor is the reps, and cardio before or after for what you want for fat loss.

Over the past year, I've been working with the Olympic lifts as they compliment my competition training nicely.

I started working with a coach a month ago, and the stuff he's got me doing is unbelievable. My last phase was brutal, but yesterday's workout was insane!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

what is your normal routine slc? meaning what did you do to get the best results as quickly as possible?

i mix it up alot really.. ill do every other day for a while, obviously the above mentioned plan. ill also mix it up with push/push and pull/pull with push/pull workouts.. since ive been working out at home for the past 9 years i dont have a huge variety of exercises to do (i miss cable work for sure especially for flies, and tricept pushdowns) so i mix up my work outs more often to keep the muscles from getting bored.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 AM

I've been working out at home for the past 4 or 5 years now, and I'm limited on some of the exercises I can do as well. Mostly it's because of not having machines, but that's by choice. I do have a high/low cable pull for doing pulldowns and cable rows. But, beyond that, nothing else besides free weights and my squat rack.

I think the biggest thing is to mix it up within a short period of time to shock the system. New lifters can get by with doing the same routine for roughly 6-8 weeks, but for maximum gains I've seen switching things up every 3-4 weeks being the best.

I think one of the defining factors for workouts is to list what the emphasis is of each one. The routine I listed, I tried to do that as I consider it more of a "general maintenance" or introductory routine. You won't gain any real mass with it, but it's a nice quick workout for those who are looking for it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Mummy Man

in my opinion people who aren't taking "help" shouldn't lift more a muscle group more than once a week. it's proven it takes 5-9 days or so for the average person to fully heal a muscle. they also proved that up until 10 days you don't lose any of the gains. that's why doggcrapp put me on the mon/wed/fri split doing one muscle group a week. Now if you have some chemical help the healing process is much quicker and you can lift much longer, more, and more often.

i also write down my 3rd set every day (the first set i go 100% on). EVERY week i MUST do 1 more rep or 1 more lb. I always keep it from 7 to 10 reps also. so if i do say 185 for 8 reps on an incline press then the next week i must do 9 reps, then 10 reps, then i put 5 more lbs on and normally drop down to 7 reps, then week after 8, etc...it's actually VERY VERY easy for me to do the one rep per week. If by chance for 2 weeks in a row i can't do the extra rep then i do a diff lift for that muscle group and consider myselft on a plateu for that workout. then i might move to dumbell press or something diff for that muscle group. once i plateu out on that i'll go back to the old lift (incline bench) and normally blow through my old plateu.

it's a route dante (doggcrapp) put me on and it works DAMN well and i always see gains unlike most of the chumps in a gym who spin their wheels for months until they quit.

the main problem i see in the gym and always have is that people lift too often and don't let their muscles fully heal. just because it doesn't feel damaged doesn't mean it's not healing. i have VERY good genetics and it still takes me a week to fully a heal a muscle. how do i know? dante had me do a push (3 days off), legs (3 days off), pull (days off) and i could do a rep every time easily compared to the week b efore. we then took 1 day off the rest time, i could still do an extra rep per week. we then dropped it to one day rest between lifts and sure enough i couldn't do that extra rep anymore! finding how fast i heal was the best thing he ever did for me. now when i was on prohormones and some strong ones at that i healed TONS quicker and lifted a 2 on and 1 off cycle and did fine.

finding how fast your body can heal and gain strength EVERY time you lift that muscle group is the most important thing you can do in the gym imo...not sure why i never thought of this as it's so damn basic and self explanatory but dante hooked me up w/ it

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 AM

Corey, it varies by person. A person who's completely natural can work the same muscle group less than 5 days apart. I've done it for years, and have shown some decent growth out of it. But, as I mentioned in another post, my best results are when I'm training for a specific event. I'm focused and seeing what I'm after.

Not to discount Dante, or doggcrapp, or whoever he is. But, is he having you test your recovery rate on an on-going basis? At what point in your training did he have you do it? How many weeks had you been lifting, and what kind of routine were you doing then?

The human body will adapt to the stress from training you put it under. Or, will do it's best to. Ever do a the first workout of a 3 week phase and have DOMS to the point on not being able to move? Then, towards the end of it, you're stronger but don't get DOMS even though you're pushing harder and faster? You're body's become accustomed to it is why. You haven't stopped progressing on that workout by any means at that time.

Physical training is such a black art, it's unbelievable. By this I mean that it's not wrong, but rather that everyone responds different to food/training/rest/etc than another person. Hence, the saying "What works for one, may not work for another."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Mummy Man

yes i was already lifting when he had me test my recovery rate. your body adapts and i know i'm still gaining because i gain that extra rep or lb EVERY week. very few can heal completely in 5 days, but some can. the important part is gaining lbs or reps EVERYTIME you do that same lift.

dante/doggcrapp is a very very well known trainer online and use to write for a magazine. he even trained stone a while back i believe. he's pretty much "the shit" for a trainer. some dislike his methods, but his methods are proven and work. of course he changes them for each person, but on average his public info works for most people.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:06 PM

DC's methods work... most lifting methods work.. to a point.
Pros of DC's method: Builds strength quickly, and is easy on the CNS so you dont have much to recover from.
Cons: Doesn't work your heart enough, Makes you a lazy bodybuilder.. AKA powerlifter. (jk, I know lots of powerlifters in great shape). So bottom line your heart rate isn't raised for enough time.

High volume training:
Pros: Lots of damage, you KNOW you worked the muscle, Very good cardiovascular workout, keeps fat low.

Cons: HARD to do right, most people think HV is doing 800 sets with 1 minute rest in between. Well the body can only hold up under intense conditions for so long before it just shuts down. REGARDLESS, I dont care if you'r taking EPE, Nubain, Ibuprofen and an ass full of gear your CNS will SHUT DOWN and any more work you do is working backward.
Easier (I did not say easy), to get yourself overtrained, but overtraining is so far beyond the average trainer, the body is sly it can take so much abuse. You WILL NOT get overtrained in a matter days or even weeks.

I think Fjorn will attest that this whole fear of overtraining is pretty ridiculous. Look at the biggest leanest and strongest dudes in the gym. ALL of them "overdo it". The fact of the matter is the the body will only adapt so far comfortably before it REALLY starts to fight you and you need to do more and more work to make it adapt.

I hate being a conspiracy theorist but I think the overtraining scare came from the BS supplement marketing thing. You gotta be scared to get overrtained so you need X, Y, and Z 15 times per day to ward off the overtraining thing. BS take your vitamins, eat your meals and train your ass off.

My partner has a great saying that I love when im about to puke in the middle of a set he'll say "give it no choice but to grow". Im not one to beating the shit out of the body because it will outsmart you everytime but sometimes you need to persuade it roughly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM

I also like that shirt that says "SHUT UP AND TRAIN"

the biggest guys I know (ronnie coleman) just get out there and lift. They aren't writing eveyrthing down taking notes testing recovery rate. This isn't an exact science yet. Until then break the body down and give it what it needs to recover thats about all we know haha.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

this is good stuff here.. but what is dc's method.. is there a plan laid out somewhere i could read?

since my joints are pretty beat up i think that ill do the one bodypart/week routine when i go back this time.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Well said Stone. I agree with the overtraining theory in that it is a lot of hype. But, I will add that a lot of inexperienced lifters do hit that wall sometimes. But, it's more of being too gung-ho and not getting enough nourishment and sleep. I've hit that wall a few times, and what I needed to do to get past it was to up my calories as well as vits/min intake.

The current phase I'm in right now has me working out rought 75-90 minutes 3 times per week on a on-off-on-off-on-off-off cycle. My body is being hammered beyond belief to say the least, but I'm seeing major results from it. As the saying goes: "Gotta tear it to to build it back up." Same philosophy the Corps believes in for boot camp BTW.

I've never even heard of DC prior to here, so I have no idea what his training philosphy is. But, I will say that anyone who is committed to doing serious(not goofing off or standing around) training on a consistent basis will show results. It's how the individual can tweak and tailor their training to meet their own goals and their body type and mindset that will reap the greatest rewards.

I log my workouts, but my breaks between sets are long enough to change the weights and write down the reps/weight for that set. Other than that, I'm back to having a weight or bar in my hand.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 PM

BTW, I also want to add that each trainer or coach has their own ideas on what works and doesn't. In my experience, they are all slanted to one way or another in regards to type of training.

Find the coach that tends to specialize in what your goals are, and then go from there. Make sure they are competent though, otherwise you'll wind up hurting yourself in the long run.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Mummy Man

dc's method i like because i still get my heartrate up just not for a long time, but i wrestle w/ my brothers during the season. i don't have to go to the gym long, it's quick, and it WORKS!

it's just feasable for me becaus i'm not in the gym long and i see results so i stick to it.

jon this guy http://www.ironaddicts.com/ trains very closely like doggcrapp. he's a very good trainer also and his articles are well worth reading imo

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 PM

DC's method is just another variation of H.I.T style training. Very very low volume basically 1 extended set per body part. You can do it in 20 mins. Uses a lot of rest pause, static hold, weighted stretching. Overall Its a good program for anyone. Anyone who pushes their muscles, stretches a lot and eats is going to grow.

I just personally think there are better ways to go about it.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:13 PM

Dont get me wrong I almost feel guilty as Dante (DC) has been nothing but GREAT to me in many ways. He is currently a sponsor of mine and is always there for me if I need advice. And while I say I disagree I may be wrong!! there are no absolutes in this game. Everyone has some good ideas and bad ideas. and while we disagree we both have some pretty amazing clients that are doing well under our direction.
That being said yes I do disagree with some of the things he preaches. Here is an Extended version of his program. I addes the Supersets in myself I just like them because they extend the time under tension the muscle endures which I feel is important for hypertrophy. For strength I think total tension is more important.

How it reads is:
its a 3 day split you start with warms up 12/8/4 (more or less as necessary)
Then you get to the working set(s) You do your set to failure, 15 seconds rest, to failure, rest, to failure.
The goal is your total reps for the 3 combined sets. Once you reach or surpass this goal you add weight.
I added the supersets in there. You superset your lift with what is directly under it.

A pure DC routine would be just the Bold print lifts. Very abbreviated workout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode