Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Deadlifts!

Woooooohoooooo! Got to deadlift for the first time today in a long time. I love those things :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

Romanian, sumo, sldl, snatch, or other kind?

Did you do them pronated or supinated?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

uhhhhhh........ Dont know the correct terminology. The kind where you stand with the bar at your shins, feet shoulder width apart. I use a reverse grip, squat down (bending at the knees) and then stand back up with the weight. I push up with the weight on my heels and thrust my hips forward too. Eyes up and back arched, not slumped over.

Its hard to explain I guess, but its probably the most common kind?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Those are pretty much the common kind. You mentioned before that your back was messed up. Something that may help you out is to find a video of how Olympic athletes do cleans from the floor. Watch how they lift from the ground and learn how to do that. Your back will tighten up some, but won't hurt once you learn properly with that fashion.

As in all cases, start light and go up slowly in weight to ensure you're doing the form correctly.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn
Those are pretty much the common kind. You mentioned before that your back was messed up. Something that may help you out is to find a video of how Olympic athletes do cleans from the floor. Watch how they lift from the ground and learn how to do that. Your back will tighten up some, but won't hurt once you learn properly with that fashion.

As in all cases, start light and go up slowly in weight to ensure you're doing the form correctly.
yea, the back is messed up (or was). I'm going real light though (135) with a nice big belt too. 3 sets of 10 had me breathing like i had just run 2 miles.

I think if I can continue to do them they will really help in my overall recovery and help increase strength too. I just have to realize that I cant go heavy anymore...

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 PM

Drop the belt. You're inviting injury again by using it. Also, with deadlifts, you're better to drop down and do no more than 5-7 reps per set.

When doing multiple reps with deads, you also want to rest if necessary. Sort of treat them as doing singles instead of one right after the other. Helps to prevent injury as well.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

drop the belt? Are you serious? I mean, I was deadlifting 315 without a belt when I tweaked my back the first time... :1poke

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:10 PM

USe the belt once you get heavy. But since you are starting over drop the belt and start with one plate on each side and go from there. Lower backs are often Neglected. And deadlifts I wouldn't do everyweek ESPECIALLY if you are Squatting. I Alternate them Every other Week since they put such a large load on your back.

A nice alternative if your lower back starts hurting and you dont want to quit deadlifting get in a power rack and set the catches about 2" below your knee. So the lowest the bar will go is about the bottom of you knee cap. Takes A LOT of pressure off the lower back and lets you work the rest of the back heavily.

Becareful with deads. If you aren't competeing but only doing them for strength I wouldn't go much heavier than the 315 if at all. Use some Olympic lifts you'll be going MUCH lighter and they are GREAT GREAT GREAT for power and agility.

and be aware injury can strike FAR before your max weights. I tore my left rear posterior deltoid while I was on my last warm up set!! always be careful.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Oh and keep your ass down!!! lol
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:36 PM

Rack pulls are awesome for building strength for higher weight deads as well.

Overall, good post Stone. Although, I disagree with you on alternating weekly for doing deads. Of course, I'm looking at it from my perspective of a strength competitor.

My current routine has me doing a ton of deads, squats and Oly moves three days out of a week.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Ok I agree with your post. but you are doing relatively low volume of work. The average gym patron is going to go in and do 2-5 sets on the same movement before moving on. if you did this 3x per week thats A lot of strain on your body without much time to recoup. who sort of cycle are you on? You cant possibly keep that level of work up for an extended period of time.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:01 PM

It's a 4 week schedule comprising of some of the following lifts on various days with little to no rest between sets. Only long enough to increase weights and log reps/weight per set.

Front squats
Hang cleans
Power snatch
1 leg squats
Split squat
Overhead squats
Back squat
Snatch grip dead
Good morning
Step ups

That's only a partial list of the workout. It is not including some of the other full body Oly lifts, upper body or core stuff. These vary on reps and sets, but many of these I am doing about 8 sets or more compising of at least 5-8 reps per set.

This is phase two, which is a 4 week phase. My previous one was three weeks, three times a week with a focus on Oly lifts and compounds on a 5x5 routine.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Front squats its good to see people still doing those. here in fru fru Gold's gym land where everything is nice and clean and chaulk is a think of the past you rarely see anyone doing squats let alone front squats..

oh god and overhead squats... those are a KILLER!! haha sweet!!

Do you ever do jump squats?? Some of the Skiers I work with we do Jump Squats and One legged Jump Squats. Had one guy up to 100kg on jump squats that was kinda scary to see. He could still get about 6" off the ground with 100kgs on his back that was almost scary to see.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I've done pretty much variations of squats for years. I did jump squats last spring, and they helped out a lot. I didn't do them with BB's, rather DB's as I was still recovering from major back injuries incurred during two car accidents in November and December of '04.

Going into this past season, I was 4 months behind my training schedule but still managed to improve my ranking in the competitions I did.

The sad par tis that even now, I'm still feeling the effects of the accident, and it's been one year almost to the day from the first one.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM

BTW, the overhead squats are only a part of the exercise.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn
BTW, the overhead squats are only a part of the exercise.
sounds fun!!!.... not.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:32 PM

Yeah, my training is definately not for the faint of heart... I've been leaning out more and more with this workout routines from my coach, yet I've been eating like there's no tomorrow. I'm up to 500 grams of protein a day now easily.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

great posts guys. Lots of info here. I started doing power exercises a few years ago when I got an LT from West Point that had played defensive tackle. He told me to stop pussy footing around with the girlee exercises, that straps were for pussies and showed me a bunch of stuff. He kept stressing the stuff like squats, hang cleans, deads, leg press, and told me that my upper body would benefit as well. I guess it worked, for the first time ever I was pressing 315 on incline.

I guess the point is I dont necessarily want to get back to that form, but I want to begin incorporating the strength exercises back into my workout again. I think they can help acclerate my recovery.

I agree with both of you on starting light and going with the reps. I was deadlifting 135 only and it felt like a ton. I want to squat, but this gym has everything but a squat rack. They have 2 smith machines, so I guess I could do them there? Their reasoning for not having a squat rack is that someone would hurt themselves.

Oh yea, I mentioned it before, but what do you think about hang cleans? considering my injury was a collarbone, I'm not sure if I could do them safely or not. I'm now able to push 2 plates on each side utilizing the hammer strength machines, but if I go to flat bench it feels like a sumo wrestler is sitting on my collarbone if I go above 185. I'm going to take Fjorn's advice and try dumbbells today.

ok :jacked

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

oh yea, the resident BIG DUDE in the gym told me to start taking glutamine. Right now, I'm not taking anything...

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
glutamine is good...helps recovery time i know...not sure if it helps anything else? stone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode