Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

wooooooohoooooo!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack....

To my form that is.

As most of you know, about 5 months ago I broke my collarbone and bruised some ribs which left me virtually unable to workout with weights (I could do some cardio after a month) for about 3 months. Around the middle of October, I started back to the gym, weak and still in pain when lifting. I took Fjorn and Stone's advice and initially went lighter and used a lot of dumbells. I really had lost a lot though, I went from (for example) flat benching 350 to barely being able to push 135 on the bench press. It was humiliating.
Muscles have memory though, and slowly but surely it is coming back. I've been doing (light) lots of squats and deadlifts to try and get the total body strength back, in addition to my regular routine. So today was chest/tri's day. I haven't really done the flat bench, as I've been doing dumbells and some hammer strength machines, as those don't make my shoulder hurt. Today, I'm like eff it and let's see what I can do. I put 135 on there, and it felt good to rep it. I tossed 225 on there, and got under it thinking: "I wonder what this will feel like, or if I will even be able to do it without pain." I busted out 10 reps with no problems, and after that I started to feel a little pressure on my collarbone. I didn't go up after that, and went to the machines/dumbells again, but it was still great to know that my strength is coming back.
I tell you what, recovering from this injury has been one of the hardest things to do. It is nice to see the progress though, and to be able to walk around the gym in a cutoff shirt and not feel ashamed….It seems like every week I'm making gains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack....

To my form that is.

As most of you know, about 5 months ago I broke my collarbone and bruised some ribs which left me virtually unable to workout with weights (I could do some cardio after a month) for about 3 months. Around the middle of October, I started back to the gym, weak and still in pain when lifting. I took Fjorn and Stone's advice and initially went lighter and used a lot of dumbells. I really had lost a lot though, I went from (for example) flat benching 350 to barely being able to push 135 on the bench press. It was humiliating.
Muscles have memory though, and slowly but surely it is coming back. I've been doing (light) lots of squats and deadlifts to try and get the total body strength back, in addition to my regular routine. So today was chest/tri's day. I haven't really done the flat bench, as I've been doing dumbells and some hammer strength machines, as those don't make my shoulder hurt. Today, I'm like eff it and let's see what I can do. I put 135 on there, and it felt good to rep it. I tossed 225 on there, and got under it thinking: "I wonder what this will feel like, or if I will even be able to do it without pain." I busted out 10 reps with no problems, and after that I started to feel a little pressure on my collarbone. I didn't go up after that, and went to the machines/dumbells again, but it was still great to know that my strength is coming back.
I tell you what, recovering from this injury has been one of the hardest things to do. It is nice to see the progress though, and to be able to walk around the gym in a cutoff shirt and not feel ashamed….It seems like every week I'm making gains.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
wooo hooo. I remember getting all excited for making gains in weights lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound
wooo hooo. I remember getting all excited for making gains in weights lol
its different than regular gains though. Once I reach where I want to be (probaby in another 3 months) I'm content to stay there. No need to strive for too much more. Its just that I was knocked down so far after my injury, and have had a hard struggle getting back. Its nice to overcome the obstacles.

Most fat asses complain about being fat yet sit in front of the couch and eat cheetos, or would quit after sustaining a bad injury. Sure, I realize there are probably some things I wont be able to do like I used to, but you can adapt.

Thats the point I was trying to make. Plus, it pays to not be a small mofo

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:52 PM

good for you! keep it up

never,ever
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 04:01 PM

Welcome back!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 AM

Keep up the good work bro.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
I tossed 225 on there, and got under it thinking: "I wonder what this will feel like, or if I will even be able to do it without pain." I busted out 10 reps with no problems, and after that I started to feel a little pressure on my collarbone.
Well, that was almost 2 months ago when I did that. I'm still gaining and doing well to getting back to good form! Yesterday was chest day, and I was able to do 315 four times (the last one I needed a spot). I was able to push 275 on incline for a set of 8, so that needs work but at least the comeback is still continuing!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Good to hear, keep pushing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode