Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

posers

Ok, so today I did some back and Bi's. I get into the gym and there aren't many people in there, so I sit down on the lat pull and start warming up. That's when I hear it….."AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! YAHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHH!" and other misc grunts and howls. It was coming from the other side of the gym, where I see 2 guys working out together. One is taller than me, from what I see a younger guy and pretty well built. The other guy is older but decently built too. It turns out they are deadlifting, and making damn sure everyone else knows about it.
So I finish a few sets of pull-downs with various grips, and head over their way to do some dumbell rows. That is when I see it, they have the bar with five 45's on each side. I'm thinking, "damn, these dudes don't look that big, but if they can deadlift that they are some beasts!" The bigger guy gets on there, and I'm doing my thing pretending not to watch. He gets the thing about 2 inches off the ground and starts hollering, and his partner is yelling at him with the typical gym jargon "CMON, Big BACK, GET STRONG GET IT UP blah blah…." The guy sets it down and starts making excuses. He starts talking about "today just isn't my day" and "yea I wasn’t mentally prepared" and "I'll get it next time." So, they pull some weight off and are left with 315. I'm checking these dudes out (in a NOT GAY way) and both of them have workout pants on. However, it is SO easy to spot that while they are both decently built up top, both of them have chicken legs (no thighs or calf muscles).
This is when it really gets good. So now they both do a set of 315 (yelling and screaming the whole time), but their form is beyond fvcked. These guys were barely bending their knees and just trying to stand up/yank the weight up at the same time. Now I know there are straight leg dead lifts, but these guys weren't even doing that. Without a doubt, if they had tried to use proper form (body weight on their heels, eyes up and squatting down/up with the weight while thrusting hips forward utilizing a lot of leg muscles) they probably wouldn’t have been able to do sets with 225.
I dunno, I guess it's their body, and their thing. They can do whatever the hell they want to. I just think it's funny that they were obviously trying to show off, but they werent even doing the exercise right and half of their body was as skinny as can be. I'm definitely not the strongest guy in the gym, not even close. But I do try to focus on good form and technique. I learned all of my power exercise techniques from my former LT, who played nose tackle for West Point. He knew what he was talking about and would call me out if my form was bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
wait till their hamstrings rip...

deadlifts are one of the most important lifts to do in proper form. squats being probably the other one.

i do normal deadlifts only and sometimes straight leg. use to do 305 for 10 for 4 reps. i can't do much on deadlift because of my back and won't ever go over 305. in all honesty though 315 isn't shit for deadlifts...once you get above 450 you're pushing some serious weight in my opinion.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:06 PM

hehe I hate noisy trainers hehe. yeah deads you have to be really careful as soon as you round your lumbar I think the pressure on the disks is like 7x the weight your picking up. I cant confirm this but I was told that by and occupational therapist. You crunch something in your back and you're cryin'. ask Snair about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i have broke a vertabrae and yes it sucks...people don't realize how careful they have to be or it will mess with affect the rest of their lives

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM

Im glad im super human.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE
Im glad im super human.
I used to think that. Then I wrecked last summer, breaking my collar bone.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 06:40 PM

there's poseurs in all walks of life

most of them hang out at starbucks regardless

AFM #282
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:38 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
hehe I hate noisy trainers hehe. yeah deads you have to be really careful as soon as you round your lumbar I think the pressure on the disks is like 7x the weight your picking up. I cant confirm this but I was told that by and occupational therapist. You crunch something in your back and you're cryin'. ask Snair about that.
yep and i had an mri done tonight for it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray
there's poseurs in all walks of life

most of them hang out at starbucks regardless
hey I like starbucks! :laugh

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 05:29 AM

key factor in this story is that they are young.. i havent worked out in gyms in about 8 years (all home training). but it never fails. you dont see a lot of older guys doing that sort of thing because they either learned the hard way, or know better. thats the quickest way to an injury. never sacrifice form for weight.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Im glad im super human.
it's easy to be SH living in thailand
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:26 PM

training in 90F 99% humidity with zero A/C isn't exactly how I invision easy.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
training in 90F 99% humidity with zero A/C isn't exactly how I invision easy.
the therm. on your sig. says 79F and 53% H...
quit hypin' yourself:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 PM

BTW stone, the wadded up towel pull and raise warm up exercise works great for my bad shoulders thanks for the tip
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 AM

no sweat baby!! its been great for y shoulders too.

thta reading was at 1:16pm our time. 79 degress at 3am seems warm to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode