Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

how easy does it make it?

ok
I work out alone, and in my gym there is no incline bench. There is a hammer strength type machine that I use, and I do dumbell incline presses too but sometime s I'll use the smith machine for incline presses as well. I use it for shoulder presses too on occassion, and I guess the "safety factor" makes it good to use too, since I really have no spotter.

Since you dont have to balance the weight, and the bar is on sliders I guess you really can't say that you were able to push xxx amount of weight, because it's not totally "free" weight that you are pushing. I mean, you can make it really heavy and get a good workout on it for sure.

anyone else use it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:02 PM
FAsT BOYS

i use it. a couple of years ago i crashed and broke my scapula. as it healed it was fucked so they took 8mm out of my clavicle. if i tried to lift heavy(not heavy in real life just for me) it hurt bad but when i used the smith it seemed to help. my wife and i saw a golds gym brand that you could also adjust the angle so it wasnt so restrictive/.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:14 PM

It really depends on the specific machine. They are all different. Some feel ike they have the weight of the bar completely counter balanced so it weighs nothing but there are a few where I'd bet the bar weighs really close to the 45lbs of a standard olympic bar.

Smith machines are awesome If I had to choose one machine to life with it'd probably be the smith machine. when you're by yoruself its a godsend with the catches so you dont pummel yourself.
I train chest almost everytime with dumbells and the smith machine. and the few times we go freebar the weight you push on the smith machine is very close to what you can do free. just mix it up with some dumbbells so you are getting some free movements in.
Heavy smith machine presses then doing dumbbell presses when you're fatigued works great.
Its nice you dont have to hoist up the HUGE dumbbells (thats where you're going to hurt yourself)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 10:02 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE
It really depends on the specific machine. They are all different. Some feel ike they have the weight of the bar completely counter balanced so it weighs nothing but there are a few where I'd bet the bar weighs really close to the 45lbs of a standard olympic bar.

Smith machines are awesome If I had to choose one machine to life with it'd probably be the smith machine. when you're by yoruself its a godsend with the catches so you dont pummel yourself.
I train chest almost everytime with dumbells and the smith machine. and the few times we go freebar the weight you push on the smith machine is very close to what you can do free. just mix it up with some dumbbells so you are getting some free movements in.
Heavy smith machine presses then doing dumbbell presses when you're fatigued works great.
Its nice you dont have to hoist up the HUGE dumbbells (thats where you're going to hurt yourself)
i cant lift HUGE dumbells
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Its all relative. Im talking about the 25s those are huge compared to my faves the 2.5s
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:13 PM

I also use the hammer strength machines because I don’t have a spotter. In fact at 6:00am I am the only one in the weight room. It would take until 7:15am before someone found me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:29 PM

I think the main thing is, use the smith for everything but flat bench! I think you must use dumbells to get the stabilization muscles worked. Also the smith does not let you go down as far as you need to get deep kick ass workout. I also workout by myself and for us loners the smith is a godsend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode