Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Avoid injury, the most overlooked aspect of fitness

Probably so overlooked becuase it doesn't make us "look" any buffer, skinnier or sexier.

Flexibility

I am just as guilty as anyone when it comes to putting flexibility lower on my priority scale than say... big arms.
Especially for those of us who are riding a lot and are trying to get into shape and it is of UTMOST importance to guys that are racing where this is a more than tiny chance that you're going to crash. If you are limber, of good fitness, and hydrated you will come out of a fall MUCH better than if you are lacking in any of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:51 AM

I work on flexibility and another often ignored feature: balance, every day. It gives you another type of strength than the kind you get from lifting weights (no disrespect intended!). Combining this with some elements from or full-on martial arts training (think Kata and not ka-pow) will give you the most well rounded training.
To top it off I recomend swimming (but I'm not sure how that works with bodybuilding), and not just the breast stroke, you want to try the three other forms of swimming too they all have different benefits and the breatstroke is not all that "profitable" in terms of all-round body focus.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:15 AM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
swimming works well with bodybuilding... awesome cardio, and a full body exercise...

you want awesome lats, get stuck into the aussie crawl

prejudices are what fools use for reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
I like the breast stroke...or is that stroking breasts?

I can never remember

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Hehe yamahuh you're a dork.
Yeah swimming is INCREDIBLE cardio work and is low impact so you're joints take very little abuse. And while swimming could be an awesome addition to a any type of fitness routine (bodybuilding included) I think the main reason it isn't used as much is it takes a lot more time to go shower, change clothes, get in teh pool, shower, change clothes than it does to walk over to the tread mill.....walk.. done. Lean mass also sinks, add that to the limited range of motion advanced musculature causes and swimming becomes more of an inconvenience.
And lets face it.. anything that is difficult will be avoided.

From 4-9th grade I was on the swim team and let me tell you that is HARD a lot harder than track or soccer you throw up a lot more.

ff,
balance really is an awesome and yes VERY overlooked aspect. I started training as a freestyle skiing coach and we did all sorts of wacky balance drills. We had one guy that could jump up onto swiss ball with 95lbs on his back and squat while standing on the ball. not a regular drill because of the risk but impressive.
I have to disagree though on weight training not improving balance and coordination. WEight training with machines may do very little for balance but with hundreds of pounds on your back your entire body is working very hard, and very very rapidly making small adjustments to keep that weight from getting out of hand. it only looks slow and cumbersome. Squatting or any press over the head and the core of the body is working nonstop to balance the weight. if you are simply doing a dumbell bench press your arms are doing a pretty amazing feat of balance. you get 50,100,200lb dumbells on the end of an outstretched arm thats a very top heavy situation just to keep it up you are constantly making adjustments. And then lowering it and raising it you are constantly altering your balance to keep that weight from getting out of control.
I guarantee you anyone that can balance a few hundred lbs on their back squat down then stand up again is going to surprise the pants off of you in a balance contest.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

FF I have always been interested in tai chi (sp?) and yoga. I've only taken yoga a few times but it was really cool. Any input you could give us in terms of benefiting riding motorcycles I'm sure a lot of us would be all ears. I think anything that helps you relax and have better control over your body will help us here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode