Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Losing weight

I found this site the other day when I was looking for dieting on a budget. You have to get past the whole religious part of the site and realize its just old school.

http://www.healthy.hillbillyhousewif...gonabudget.htm

Not that I can't afford whatever I want, I am just a cheap bastid.

The whole food exchange thing looks like a good plan for healthy eating.

10 Tips to Make the Most of your Money
& Eat Healthy on a Budget
  1. Only buy foods that further your dietary goals.
  2. Among your healthy choices, buy low cost foods exclusively.
  3. Keep track of prices and buy things at their lowest price.
  4. Replace expensive ingredients with economical alternatives.
  5. Buy in bulk when it saves you money becasue it saves you time as well.
  6. Plan ahead. It saves both time and money.
  7. Prepare your meals from scratch and be your own prep-cook.
  8. Reduce waste; use up leftovers.
  9. Use up what you already have & preserve your abundance.
  10. If you are able, then shop several different markets.

shopping on $45 a week with a balanced menu for 4 to 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Damn I do all that already. I get recipes off of Foodtv.com, and have several cook books.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
I'm a firm believer in eat whatever you want...It doesn't really matter as long you work out very hard and heavy..

I've always believed that it all comes down to your commitment and loyalty to the gym and excersising
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
If you run, run over 30 mins. It takes your body 15-20 mins to start actually burning fat so beaware to run more then that.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo5
I'm a firm believer in eat whatever you want...It doesn't really matter as long you work out very hard and heavy..

I've always believed that it all comes down to your commitment and loyalty to the gym and excersising
haha this made me giggle
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 PM

1. only buy foods that serve a purpose (taste isn't a valid purpose)
2. only buy foods your great grandmother would recognize.
3. Dont go to the store to buy everything at once, go often and only buy whats on sale, and when it is buy it all.
4. Oatmeal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Tuna, veggies and fruits aren't that expensive and really is all you need.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Random Sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE
1. only buy foods that serve a purpose (taste isn't a valid purpose)
2. only buy foods your great grandmother would recognize.
3. Dont go to the store to buy everything at once, go often and only buy whats on sale, and when it is buy it all.
4. Oatmeal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Tuna, veggies and fruits aren't that expensive and really is all you need.
Note: never accept Stone's dinner invitations

I've tried 1 and 4... it takes a lot of discipline after about three weeks... i usually gave myself one day a week to do whatever i wanted to as long as it was in reasonable portions... made it more tolerable.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM

takes TONS of discipline. thats why you have to cheat once a week. AND you must keep any junk out of the house. I cant eat correctly if therr is anything bad in the house because I'll eat it.

it really helps if you cheat once a week and make yoruself sick so you dotn want any junk for a few days.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound
If you run, run over 30 mins. It takes your body 15-20 mins to start actually burning fat so beaware to run more then that.
I didn't knew that... :S

I run but i do only 10 quick laps and leave...

Wrong, huh?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarckent
I didn't knew that... :S

I run but i do only 10 quick laps and leave...

Wrong, huh?
yes and no..

they are right your body goes through stages on what nutrients its using for fuel and fat isn't the first one.
BUT you dont go do cardio or lift weights for the energy you burn while you do it. You do it because your metabolism is increased for hours, as long as 48 hours. So you're burning more calories for the rest of the day because you did cardio. if you can only do 20 minutes in the morning that is plenty to make some huge changes. I would recommend getting on ther eand really working do some intervals. or a fun one is doing sprints with differing rest periods in between.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 AM

STATIK,
I'm posting a reply to your PM here because it may help some other people.

First off dont make any sudden crazy changes you'll just fall off the diet because its too big a shock. I would recommend by switching to brown rice, it carries a much smaller glycemic load than white rice. The salads are good veggies are never eaten enough. After you have the rice down try to switch just vinegrette salad dressings or screw around and make your own 1 part olive oil to 1 part balsmic vinegar then throw in pepper and lemon or really anything you can make some GOOD cheap dressing.
chicken, tuna and eggs should make up the bulk of your protein, if you're busy get some powder www.trueprotein.com discount code stone. just get the basic whey concentrate cheap and serves the purpose just fine. Egg whites are tricky... they taste terrible.. If you are brave get the noyolks liquid or the best i've found is Kroger brand egg whites. I just put crystal light flavoring in it and drink it, it has no taste. but cooking can be fine too mix some tomatoes, onions, a little mozzerlla and its not bad. salsa also helps big time.
Tuna is terrible too so I usually splash a little raspberry vinegrette on them and it covers the crappy fish taste perfectly. really not bad.
chicken is a no brainer just grill usually its fast and simple. The problem with chicken is it gets expensive. read your local circulars and wheen it gets down around $1.10-$1.50 go buy as much as you can fit in your freezer. If you're a steak guy do the same thing wait until top round, flank, extra lean ground chuck or some other lean beef is on sale then go stock up.
Pork is fine I just dont eat it because I like pigs.
Just try small changes as you go and get creative you can make some damn good food with cheap basic ingredients. my favorite thing of all time is Yams, just bake them wrapped in foil 400F for about an hour hour and a half slide the skins off them mash them up put some splena, a little I cant believe its not butter and some cinnamon on them and they are GOOOOOD! mixing in a banana is also super good.
Yams are a great carbohydrate. if you dont like the sweetness then red potatoes are the way to go stay away from the russet common potatoes, not bad for you but they spike your insulin pretty good and thats not what you want right now.
As for working out. I would try to shoot for 90 mins 5 days a week. Go up or down from there depending on how you feel. If you feel really beat up on day 5 take an extra day off or just do a little cardio. if you feel fantastic and ready to role go in and lift something that feels ready. If you're lifting alone I would shoot for about 1 hour of weights and 30 mins cardio. If you're working hard and keeping a good pace thats a lot of work but I dont think its too much. as far as reps go same with days its never the same if you feel strong put some weight on and get maybe 5-8 reps if you chose a little too light of weight go for 20-30 and if you feel crazy one day do a set of 50 or something on a bodypart. Rep ranges will not affect the muscle tone your diet will determine that. high reps if anything cut down on muscle tone due to the increased muscle damage and consequent swelling.
YOu dont have to do circuit training and make yourself puke but keep a good pace going dont let your heart rate fall to resting. but do catch your breath letting your muscles clear the byproducts produced during the last set.

These are pretty general guidelines but I think everything I've said has been proven and has worked well for everyone I know. it is by no means revolutionary I think most people with any real time competing will tell you similar things with their twists on it. Be wary of anyone giving you extreme advice. and remember there are 10000000 ways to get to where you want to go. Hi volume lifting vs low volume, hi carb, low carb, hi fat low fat etc etc. just find a middle ground for yourself where you can keep it going. dont go overboard and burn yourself out.

with the diet, I am a fan of cheating once a week it gives you something to look forward to. I have mine friday night after I train I go to any fast food that sounds good or just keep hitting fast food restaurants until I'm sick. shakes, fries, burgers whatever it keeps you sane and also makes you sick so you are reminded how good you really do feel eating good foods.

hope this helps a little
stone
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:58 AM

Thanks Stone!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Random Sample

Thanx Stone! That helps a lot. I like seeing how others approach their diet and workout regimen and try to incorporate well thought out and sensible parts into my routine. also, some other guys think cheating in any form is a big no-no... glad i'm not the only one that thinks junk food once/week is ok.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:10 PM

There are reasons for and against having a free meal.

but if you look at it sensibly how much fat are you going to put on in 1 meal? Not enough to nullify eating cleaning the rest of the week.

If you dont want to call it cheating call it refeeding, making sure your glycogen stores in your muscles and liver are filled out for the next week.

I also know people who are against cheating and stay strict strict strict but chances are these people aren't being as strict as they say they are.

like I said more than one way to do everything.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpntpool
I found this site the other day when I was looking for dieting on a budget. You have to get past the whole religious part of the site and realize its just old school.

http://www.healthy.hillbillyhousewif...gonabudget.htm

Not that I can't afford whatever I want, I am just a cheap bastid.

The whole food exchange thing looks like a good plan for healthy eating.

10 Tips to Make the Most of your Money
& Eat Healthy on a Budget
  1. Only buy foods that further your dietary goals. beer counts right?
  2. Among your healthy choices, buy low cost foods exclusively. ummm, no. low cost and healthy = no taste
  3. Keep track of prices and buy things at their lowest price. I dont keep receipts, nor do I look at prices when grocery shopping. Those 4 gallons of generic apple juice for $1.00 will taste like ass.
  4. Replace expensive ingredients with economical alternatives. isn't this just restating #2 and #3 over again?
  5. Buy in bulk when it saves you money becasue it saves you time as well. I went shopping at Sams one time. What a waste. The 50 pack of egg rolls ended up in the trash, along with the 10 gallon mayo jar
  6. Plan ahead. It saves both time and money. I agree
  7. Prepare your meals from scratch and be your own prep-cook. yea right. Why work when someone else can do it for you? No time for that whole cooking thing.
  8. Reduce waste; use up leftovers. I agree sometimes. Leftover cold food can be tasty!
  9. Use up what you already have & preserve your abundance. um... sure
  10. If you are able, then shop several different markets. but then that would be wasting time and energy on fuel! If you followed #6, there would be no need for #10.
shopping on $45 a week with a balanced menu for 4 to 6
I've lived on $45 a week, and it sucks. I'm glad to be blessed to be able to have more, I'll pass on the $45 a week...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 AM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
great advice stone... i'll toss in my two cents too

i have a woeful body type... i look at shit food and i put on a coupla pounds...

you will definately get folk who try and talk you out of cardio, because it will cut into your bulking... if you're trying to look buff, then ignore them

i run around 50km (30 mile) a week, ride 100km (60 mile) a week, play squash, walk my dogs and a bunch of other cardio... this has not slowed down my gains much at all... i also feel a million bucks because of it

also, folk will try and talk you into overloading on protein shakes... typically, i only need one directly after a workout to keep my gains adequate...

the bottom line is, you look bigger at 10% bodyfat than you do at 14% bodyfat... and it's better to be fit anyways

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat
great advice stone... i'll toss in my two cents too

i have a woeful body type... i look at shit food and i put on a coupla pounds...

you will definately get folk who try and talk you out of cardio, because it will cut into your bulking... if you're trying to look buff, then ignore them

i run around 50km (30 mile) a week, ride 100km (60 mile) a week, play squash, walk my dogs and a bunch of other cardio... this has not slowed down my gains much at all... i also feel a million bucks because of it

also, folk will try and talk you into overloading on protein shakes... typically, i only need one directly after a workout to keep my gains adequate...

the bottom line is, you look bigger at 10% bodyfat than you do at 14% bodyfat... and it's better to be fit anyways

I agree 99%. running that much if you are heavier is going to be tough but I agree with what you are saying cardio wont take away your gains. the better shape your body is in cardiovascularly the better its going to perform and the better its adaptation response will be.

As for protein I am a proponent (if you are serious about muscle gain) of turning your body into a food processor. BUT I think what you're saying is protein shakes aren't the end all be all and I agree 8000% with that. If you have the money and time to prepare all natural food then that is the way to go. Protein shakes are a 2nd best to real food.

I take a protein shake immediatly after the gym as well it is just so much more convenient than packing up chicken or tuna.

and I also agree you look better (and bigger) at 10% than 14%. I always get more looking big compliments at 220lbs than I do at 240lbs.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 03:37 AM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
I feel ya man, i only lifted 10x in the last month due to issues but now im back. Im weaker only putting up 300lbs 3 sets of 10. And i gained some weight...

So now im running working on my cardio and cutting down some weight.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Easy ways to lose weight

Take a suplement Like Zantrex-3

Stop drinking and if you drink then drink no more than 3 beers.

Eat less carbs

exercise more a tread mill is less $$$ then going to the gym

Cardio workouts is BEST at loosing weight...leave the free weights alone.

Eat 4 times a day and never after 7pm

Hit the treadmill or work out in the morning and before you eat.

Dont Drink beer or anything else

no fast food or pizza or anything with alot of carbs

Breakup with your wife/girl freind....(only becauuse that is one thing is that you want to do is... Hey honey where do you want to go for dinner... BAD>>>)

OR..

Have sex more..m Many partners is Good

Because who wants to fuc you when you are a fatty(a great motiator to not eat a cheese burger0

Eat spicy foods cause your metababoilsm will work faster if you eat spiccy foods w/o salt.

salt addes water to your system and to combat that drink only water

water is a natural direatic. (aka you will pee more.)

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Sorry Beavis have to dispute some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1
Easy ways to lose weight

Take a suplement Like Zantrex-3 -it worked until ephedra was taken out of it

Stop drinking and if you drink then drink no more than 3 beers. -dont fool yourself into drinking only shots the volume of calories is from the alcohol 12oz beer, 1oz liqour, 7oz whine all have 1oz of alcohol which is 7 calories per gram. a beer has about 13g of carbs, a pop has about 50g. If you need a drink have 1 or two they wont kill you near as fast as soda.

Eat less [REFINED] carbs- and eat more healthy fats, flax, fish, olive etc all are great for you.

exercise more a tread mill is less $$$ then going to the gym

Cardio workouts is BEST at loosing weight...leave the free weights alone. Cardio is best for loosing WEIGHT but who cares about weight? If you want to burn fat resistance training will increase you metabolism for longer and almost twice what cardio alone will do. If your only goal is to lose weight you'll only become a smaller version of what you are now.

Eat 4 times a day and never after 7pm. eating past a certain time is a big fat MYTH. No dont go eating a whole bunch of potato chips or crap before bed you shouldn't eat those anyway. If you have at least a moderately active lifestyle eat right before bed. I would advice against too much fat or carbs simply because you will speed up a little and get warm and its hard to fall asleep.

Hit the treadmill or work out in the morning and before you eat. Cardio first thing in the morning is great, you begin burning fat faster than you would if you had eaten something. BUT remember my post above the reason you do cardio isn't for the calories you burn while youre on the mill its for the increased metabolism for the rest of the day. So if you're trying to get super lean and you have time sure jump on the mill for 30 minutes in the morning but eat immediatly after. If you have a normal schedule do cardio while your comfortable the last thing we need is a reason to cut cardio short. And doing pushups, Lunges, stair calf raises, sit ups, pull ups, cruches, chin ups, hanging leg lifts all cost nothing and will get you a lot further to having a bathing suit body than will a treadmill.
How sexy do you think you'll look with really toned calves and skinny ass legs with no butt and zero muscle tone anywhere else, this is where the treadmill alone will get you.

Dont Drink beer or anything else

no fast food or pizza or anything with alot of carbs-again its refined white flour and all that dairy that will get ya.

Breakup with your wife/girl freind....(only becauuse that is one thing is that you want to do is... Hey honey where do you want to go for dinner... BAD>>>) VERY VERY much agree, eating out makes eating right very difficult.

OR..

Have sex more..m Many partners is Good. hehe

Because who wants to fuc you when you are a fatty(a great motiator to not eat a cheese burger0

Eat spicy foods cause your metababoilsm will work faster if you eat spiccy foods w/o salt. Adding a touch of red pepper powder to sweet drinks will enhance the sweet flavor.

salt addes water to your system and to combat that drink only water- salt wont hurt you it just makes you look a little softer. (I say as I just had about 45 dill pickle slices)

water is a natural direatic. (aka you will pee more.)
the more water the better. (until you get up around 4 gallons then you're just showing off)

Last edited by STONE; 07-01-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode