Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

My Routine... questions.

OK I've attached the routine that I've been following and wanted to know opinions. Here is the equipment I have as follows.

- Bench(can incline it) with lat tower and leg extension/curl.

- Bowflex Selecttech 52 pound dumbells x2.

- E-Z Curl Bar.

- 600'ish pounds of free weights.

- Bowflex Treadclimber TC5000.

Basically what I'm trying to acheive is to just be fit. I don't have to be huge like Stone, and I sure as shit don't want to be a tooth pick. Right now I'm 6'1", 220. I want to get rid of my spare tire as well as put on some muscle. Ya know, look halfway decent without a shirt on. I'd like to have some muscle tone.

Here is an XLS that I made. Basically I've been doing 4 sets of 10(or whatever I can push myself to do) of each lift. I also do 20 mins of Cardio on the days I lift plus 1 off day, usually Wednesday.

I'm just looking for suggestions. Any improvements that any of you see that I could make? I've been doing cardio before I like... is that right or should I swap that up?

As far as supplementaion goes, I've been using Amplify Protien after workouts, and Cellucor's M5 Extreme before. I'll be changing from the M5 after it's all gone cause it tastes like SHIT, I can barely choke it down, so I'm all ears on a good creatine suggestion. I've heard good things on the Amplify and like the taste of it, so unless someone has a better suggestion I'll probably keep using it. I also take GNC Mega-Men multi-vitamines. Of course I've been trying to eat right which is tough.. but I'm getting there.

Anyway, any suggestions/advise is welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: doc routine.doc (60.5 KB, 5 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Slick,
I made a few very minor changes and a some suggestions on number of sets. I think the only thing I added was lunges and or sprints. I think you are light on the leg work and I think if you did sprints one week then lunges it would really help your overall fitness.

The biggest change I made was to rearrange the order. I strongly recommend doing working from the core of the body out. I changed your chest/tri workout so that you'd do all chest before you did any tricep work. Your triceps will fail long before your chest and if you switch off you'll start over working your triceps and underworking your chest. Same with back and biceps.

I also moved upright rows to your shoulder workout and deadlift to your back workout.

Now your original workout was just fine and you would get in shape I just did some very minor tuneups to make it a little easier.
If you have any questions let me know.

OH yeah and STRETCH!!! after you workout relax for a bit then sit down and really stretch. before you workout dont worry much about stretching just do FULL range warmup sets.

As for supplements. stay with your protein its fine but if you search around you can probably find the same thign cheaper. Most proteins on the market show whey concentrate, whey isolate as their main ingredients. They are like 2% isolate because its SO much more expensive they just dash it in there so they can put it on the label.

As far as creatine. Creatine is CHEAP but those fancy transporter, alkylated buffered fancy shmance creatine is EXPENSIVE. get some creatine monohydrate and a big bottle of honey. scoop 1 tsp of creatine in with your protein and 2 tablespoons of honey. Take your viters along with your protein shake ASAP when your'e finished working out. Then when you get home as soon as you're hungry eat a decent meal. for you a chicken breast or small steak with some veggies and a ltitle potato or something, switch it up.
Attached Files
File Type: doc routine.doc (56.0 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Awesome Stone! Thanks for the advise! What about the cardio? Before or After workouts? I've kinda heard arguments both ways on that. Any... why mix in honey with the shake? Doesn't honey = bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:18 PM

1. cardio ALWAYS AFTER ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
why? because when you start working out your body will go for the easiest available fuel, glycogen. WHich is stored in the muscles and liver. Glycogen is the best fuel for anerobic stress (resistance training, sprinting, short spurts of activity).
Regardles off what you're doing; walking, lifting, running etc your body will pull from glycogen stores first. So why do BORING cardio for 20 minutes to wait for your body to switch to running on fatty acids? Then you go start lifting weights and you're running on a less optimal fuel.
So lift first so you're muscles have the best available fuel and burn out that glycogen so when you do go hop on a machine or start walking your body will have less (or none) glycogen left to pull from and will more quickly, or immedieatly, start pulling from fatty acid stores (your love handles).

2. Honey. Honey is glucose and very readily stored as glycogen. NOw a banana or other fruit will probably work almost as well but there is a difference. When you're finished working out you want sugar and protein. It is proven time and time again that the two taken together replenish the body more effectively and more completely than taken alone.
Now, the argument between bananas, apples, dextrose (manufactured glucose), and honey (natural glucose) is that fruit sugars (fructose) is more preferentially stored in the liver (another large glycogen storage organ). SO instead of going straight to the muscles the liver is greedy about it and will steal a lot of what you want getting to the muscles so they start restoring their glycogen for tomorrows workout and start rebuilding themselves.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM

another reason against fruits post workout is they have a little fiber which in can (probably not enough to matter) slow digestion which when you're finished working out you want to get that protein and sugar digested and circulating asap. This is why fats and fiber are avoided for post workout meals.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Awesome info Stone.. thanks tons! Will definately take your suggestions to heart and use em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode