Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Adding Bulk

I got a buddy that is 6'2" or so and about 135lbs and has been working out quite a bit lately but is having problems adding bulk...

I know that it sounds kinda silly for some of us but if anyone has any suggestions I am sure he would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM

Alright, the formula is simple. Basically, you need to eat more calories than you burn in a run of a day. Also try and eat one gram of protien per pound of bodyweight.

Next, lift heavy. High weight and low reps (5-8) have always worked for me.

Finally, and this is probably the most important (and the most often neglected) get plenty of rest every night. Like 8-10 hours. Your body needs time to rebuild everything youve beaten up after a hard workout.

Using all of this, plus giving it some time, he should pack on the pounds quite easily.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
damn he is skinny... really skinny..

Eat well, lots of protein, low reps like he said, sleep...

or he can do the easy way and bust out the steroids hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 PM

eat his carbs, protein.

aite check it: make him run.. not like run as in run miles but sprint his ass 100 meter, pump his arms while he runs.. then jog back, then i think 30 second rest then back at it... do that for one set, one set being 10-12 times. then keep doin it... you'll bulk up.. also lift some weights, good way to bulk up i think... start with your shoulders bro. arms and chest... but that sprintin shit... DAFJS DAYM!!!! intense, he's gon vomit the first time.

hey better grub a tub tub though.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Faster and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRGSXR
eat his carbs, protein.

aite check it: make him run.. not like run as in run miles but sprint his ass 100 meter, pump his arms while he runs.. then jog back, then i think 30 second rest then back at it... do that for one set, one set being 10-12 times. then keep doin it... you'll bulk up.. also lift some weights, good way to bulk up i think... start with your shoulders bro. arms and chest... but that sprintin shit... DAFJS DAYM!!!! intense, he's gon vomit the first time.

hey better grub a tub tub though.
i ran track and sprints and did some crazy sprint workouts and never bulked..... i doubt he would bulk from that. Most sprinters you see hit the gym up alot. They bulk up in the gym to gain the ability to drive themselves outta the blocks and pull from the other racers.. The muscles also help you drive faster while pumping your arms..

Every sprinter I been around including some that have been in the olympics have been in the weight room quite a bit.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 AM

I agree with what everyone has said, Running isn't a bad thing but right now we're talkingabout putting on some size and running probably isn't going to put size on this guy. Bo Jackson was huge when he was a sprinter but I dont think your skinny buddy has Bo's genetics.

For him I would do what everyone has said get a good solid steady eating plan going he needs to eat regularly and for him it will seem like a lot but he'll get used to it if he gives it a real shot.

I would also do some high rep stuff low rep stuff works too but this guy is super skinny so he probably has a higher ratio of slow twitch muscle fibers which are less likely to grow. I do a fair amount of 50-100 rep sets on almost everything except chest and shoulders. I would vary the reps do some days down and dirty maybe getting down to 4 reps and some times mix it up do some 15, 20, 50 reps. Lets face thigns this guy isn't going to be stepping onto any bodybuilding stages so why give up any fitness for a few grams of size l ike a lot of bodybuilders do. but be careful be warm warm warm. Had a client rip his quads and tear his PCL, ACL in his knee and crush his maniscus squatting on monday.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no secret to being fit, or fast, or big or whatever consitency is king. you eat, lift, train consitently you're good to go.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 AM

true... my bad. or be like tupac and have lots of SEX. j/m. well whatever your homie does.. good luck to him.

bench, curls, press's, butterfly's at the 10 - 2 o clock position, work out ur shoulders, throw people around. u should work on triceps since they are bigger than ur biceps, wide pull ups. become a lumberjack.

but daym sucks for ur client.. WHAT DID U DO TO HIM?!?!???

Last edited by UCRGSXR; 08-03-2006 at 09:06 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
I recommend a steady diet of McDonald's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRGSXR View Post
true... my bad. or be like tupac and have lots of SEX. j/m. well whatever your homie does.. good luck to him.

bench, curls, press's, butterfly's at the 10 - 2 o clock position, work out ur shoulders, throw people around. u should work on triceps since they are bigger than ur biceps, wide pull ups. become a lumberjack.

but daym sucks for ur client.. WHAT DID U DO TO HIM?!?!???
I was 8,000 miles away when he did it. I dont control his workouts he's been pushing the envelope with weight lately, was squatting 6 plates a side when it happened. ONly 23 years old he's awesome.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
I recommend a steady diet of McDonald's

And pie!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
I've lost about 20 lbs in China over the last year and am looking for some kinda supplement to bring back when I come home. I'm about 150 and 5'9" and in my current location (as of last week) there are a few gyms so I can get back into some training. What are the best supplements for adding lean muscle mass that I can bring back to China with me when I return?

Sorry..don't mean to hijack the thread.

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
I've lost about 20 lbs in China over the last year and am looking for some kinda supplement to bring back when I come home. I'm about 150 and 5'9" and in my current location (as of last week) there are a few gyms so I can get back into some training. What are the best supplements for adding lean muscle mass that I can bring back to China with me when I return?

Sorry..don't mean to hijack the thread.
Chicken, beef and rice.

seriously

supplements = second best
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
also guys that can't gain weight easily need more rest

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
more time to recoup...lifting more doesn't mean more growth...means more ripped muscles...thats it

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Faster and Better

vitamins...
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM

actually corey if you lift more you wont get more ripped muscles you'll just continue to break them down and you'll get a swelling response from the muscles so they look even more watery.

BUT I think you're saying if you do more work you'll just burn off more fat which is true lifting is the best form of excercise for fat loss because you're doing interval training. Pushing the cardiovascular system almost too 100% then letting it drop down this will keep your metabolism flying for about 48 hours. Also the amount of calories used just to rebuild the damaged muscles and nervous system is pretty hefty.

So Corey is right I'm just clarifying.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM

Also I need to stress the use of controlled reps. DONT go in there and start bouncing heavy weight off yoru chest when benching or bouncing out of the hole on squats. You should lower the weight in a 100% controlled fashion then there should be a split second pause before you start to raise the weight momentum is your enemy. Unless you are performing olympic lifts for power you shouldn't be using any momentum.
Its hard to lift this way guys usually have to pull off about 50% of their working weight when they start doing this correctly. Its hard on the ego but its safer and more effective.

For Adding Bulk I would recommend a good warm up maybe 10 minutes 3-4 sets just take your time work through a full range of motion start LOW! I would recommend starting with 10lb dumbells, the bar, or for legs start by just squatting your body weight.

THen for your heavy sets get in there shoot for 10 reps give or take of a TRUE 2 seconds down 2 seconds up with a split second pause in between. Just enough of a pause to scrub off any bounce momentum.

Do 2-5 sets on this big primary lift. This will usually be squats, deads, leg press, bench press, rows, chin ups etc just a good compound lift.

Then move into your isolation lifts flys, lateral shoulder raises, tricep extensions, curls etc. These I am a big fan of doing some super slow reps. These KILL and most people will try them once then give up on them they aren't fun but its easy to really fatigue the muscle while minimizing the risk of tearing.

Everyone has done negatives where they control a heavy weight down then have someone pull the weight up. Dont do those, this is the opposite and there are a few cool research papers out that will support what I'm condoning.

WE'll use bench press as an example. you put on a weight lighter than what you're used to. Lift the weight up then drop it down to your chest 1-2 seconds fast but still under control. THen the lifting portion should be a true 4 second count. 1..2..3..4.. then your arms are full extended then lower the weight 1-2 seconds then 4 seconds up. It is TOUGH but by doing this you are assuring the muscle is doing all the work and you aren't throwing or bouncing the weight up. This puts the msucle fibers under and extreme work load and will fatigue your muscles faster than doing 19 sets of fast half assed reps. WHen you beat the muscle up quicker with less sets you save the central nervous system from a lot of wear and tear. Now that the body doesnt' have to repair the CNS it will leave more resources open to repair the muscle tissue.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Faster and Better

dude I laugh at people that bounce it off their chest lol. Its funny as hell.... The bounce is giving them like a couple inches boost...

I personally dont go down to my chest while benching, hurts my shoulders. I go more then 90 degrees about 1-2 inch off the chest because of bad shoulders.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

I personally dont go down to my chest while benching, hurts my shoulders. I go more then 90 degrees about 1-2 inch off the chest because of bad shoulders.
This should be the proper bench technique. I have to admit i haven't started doing it yet just becuase old habits die hard but stopping a few inches above yoru chest is the new correct and safer method because its safer on the shoulders. You're ahead of the game.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Faster and Better

yeah i figured it out when i started to bulk and was straining my ligaments in my shoulders. I still pay to this day for doing it to the chest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode