Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
I dont inhale

how am i doing to build lean muscle

i am 35 and dont have a frame to be big, I am looking for a lean muscular build

heres my workout , I am always varying it a bit, to not get into a rut and to hit muscles from a different angles, but this should give you an idea

my philosphy is warm up a muscle group with 10-12 reps of easy weight, then do a power exercise ex, flat bench, dead lifts, squats, over head presses 3 sets working my way up in weight till i can only do 4 reps before i have to cheat a little,

i then do 3-4 more exercises , varations for that muscle 3 sets , examples incline dumbell, leg extensions, front raises, each exercise i use relatively lighter weight so by the last exercise for a muscle group im shooting for 10 reps per set

i usually do chest-tri-forearm, back-biceps-abs, shoulders, legs-abs

ive been playing with not doing tri with chest but doing biceps with chest. doing shoulders the next day with triceps, than back , then legs with 2 days of ab work in there

with my schedule i work out 4 days in a row with 3 days off, i got no choice in that

i usually spend an hour or a little more doing weights, than 20-30 minutes doing some form of light cardio with a target hr of 120ish, i try to do a least one spinning class a week

my diet is pretty clean, very little processed foods, minimal simple carbs, lots of whole grains, vegetables, protein, fiber and water

, any tips for me???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Really cant find anything to pick on there. you are light years ahead of most people in the gym. Only advice I could think to give is to peruse a training book now and then or take a peak around at some excercises people are doing. THere are SO MANY exercises and variations you can never have too many in your bank.
Another thing to maybe switch up is try switching up the rep speed now and then. If you're trying to work on power then try doing a controlled negative then exploding out of the hole. If you want to try to build muscle in a trouble area try a 2 second negative with a 4 second positive (do this after your heavy primary lifts).

I think you're on the right track! Keep us updated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Oh yeah the most important advice that I give everyone.

consistency is the only secret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
I dont inhale

ive been thinking about the rep speed thing,

i am always nice a slow and contolled in my reps i try not to use momentum at all , and hold strict form. Im no power lifter so its something i can always take pride in , yea he might be lifting more but his form sucks kinda thing

but ive been noticing some really ripped people that will every once in a while go really heavy and not hold such tight form and will really explode out like your talking, at first i was like wtf, they are using a lot of momentum to get the weight up, but ive noticed too many people that ive respected for they way they work out doing it, i wasnt wasnt sure how to approach the technique. how often should i try this, and what am i trying to accomplish, would this be good to get over a sticking point,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
I dont inhale

also since at this point im still trying to loose fat should i eat before and/or after working out,

when i get to a point with my body fat where im happy i have always done a whey protein shake directly following a work out, i really like the myoplex deluxes

whats your pre and post workout diet recomendations

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:50 PM

Sometimes going super heavy (safely) is really go to get your body of a hump. If you've been training regiously and you dont miss many training days and you're really stuck at a hump the fail safe method of getting past a hump is to detrain. IN short you laze around for a week or two and hit the gym maybe 2-3 times a week lightly. YOur body cant keep going up up up. there has to be downtime.
BUT the heavy heavy powerlifter stuff is a good way to get things moving also. Dont go so heavy that you need a spotter from the get go but have one there. Everyone gets a wild hair now and then and goes too heavy and you get the weight off drop down and you think to yourself (uh oh...). Dont go THAT heavy but get something you can do on your maybe 3 times then have a spotter help JUST ENOUGH to keep you moving on 1 or 2 more.
Eating after your workout is non-negotiable. it is the most important meal of the day if we're talking buildling or maintaining muscle.
Eating before is a very individual thing. If you can eat a little bit before then go ahead. But if its going to make you feel bloated or weighted down then stop eating 30 mins, 1 hour or 2 horus before depending on yoru stomach.

Add some Honey to your post workout drink. you need some sugar as well as protein for optimal results. Lots of research out there these days touting protein+ carbs as much more effective than one or the other.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:48 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE View Post
Lots of research out there these days touting protein+ carbs as much more effective than one or the other.
is it really surprising that people keep coming back to "balanced"?

zero of anything is just stupid, zero fat, zero carbs, zero whatever... these things are in our staples because our body needs them

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat View Post

zero of anything is just stupid, zero fat, zero carbs, zero whatever... these things are in our staples because our body needs them

even worse would be zero beer

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 09:07 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
even worse would be zero beer
don't ever, ever say those words again

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat View Post

Yeah but its getting into the when to consume foods is where it gets tricky. You dont want fat post workout becuase it slows digestion and blunts the insulin response. Any other time this is good just not post workout when you're trying to get glycogen to the msucles and liver asap.
WHen your body isn't recouperating from working out you dont need many carbohydrates at all. Just enough to supply the brain so you can think. The body is running on fatty acids at this point so eating carbohydrates is just giving excess.
I'm not touting zero carbs, zero fat or anything I agree 100% with LP that a balanced diet is what you need. THe problem lies in that a balanced diet is very difficult to achieve these days when the majority of food is refined concentrated carbohydrate. All it is is redundant energy that is just being stored as fat and overloading the bodies hormonal systems. If you threw away everything in your fridge and cupboard that came in a box or a bag you could almost eat anything and as much as you wanted. its hard to get fat eating steak and potatoes, veggies, beans etc etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode