8 simple steps to a leaner physique
1. Start small. If you change your lifestyle overnight chances are you'll fail miserably. Start by adding 1 meal of good unrefined "health" foods. Or start by walking 10 minutes per day. A good rule of thumb is the more sedentary you generally are the slower yo should start.
2. The term "diet" does not mean crash course diet. There is no permanent diet. The only effective means of long term weight loss are small but significant changes in lifestyle.
3. Water. Even slight dehydration will impair your bodies perfomance. If you're thirsty you're dehydrated. one gallon of water per day is far from impossible. Crystal light, sugar free cool-aid, etc aren't as good as plain old natural water but they do make the task much more bearable without the added calories.
4. Lift some weights. Weight training has been proven time and time agian to burn more fat and keep your metabolism boosted longer than cardio alone. This means if you only have 20 minutes a day o week days to dedicate to excercise choose weights. However an ideal fitness program will employ both forms of exercise. If you have time 20-40 minutes of low-medium intensity cardio in the morning followed by 30-60 minutes of weight training in the afternoon is a sure fire way to tighten up. *It is normal to gain +/- 5lbs the first week of lifting weights this is from increased glycogen and water storage in the liver and muscle tissue. This small weight gain should not deter you from beginning a weight training program because in as little as 1 week you should start seeing more muscle tone.
5. Make it fun. You dont have to walk into the gym with a stop watch, workout log, heart monitor, weight belt, wrist straps and spandex to get a good workout. Quite the contrary I would even say the majority of people will get a better workout playing a game, walking the dogs, riding a bike, swimming, anything active that is a fun. You'll do it longer and you wont regret it next time. If its a nice day go do something fun with your family or friends because the gym will always be there rain or shine.
6. Dont give up. You will cheat on your diet sometimes you just crumble and binge and sometimes you're in a tough situation at a business lunch or social outing. If there sn't a way out of it just forget it. have a good lunch order what you want then leave it behind you dont stress just start back on your diet asap.
7. It gets infinately easier to stick with these lifestyle changes when you're friends and family are involved. Tell them your plans and tell them how difficult it is for you and you'd really like their support and if they could keep the temptations to a minimum it would really help. Ask yoru family to join you in making a few changes. Cut out soda, this means not having it in the house. If it helps switch to diet for a while.
8. Their is no secret supplement or super special excersize. Consistency is the only difference between you and those models on the cover of the fitness magazine.
Please feel free to add to this post. However if I think it is bad advice or not applicable I'll delete it. Please dont take this as a jab or an insult and you are more than welcome to PM me to discuss it.