Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Joint supplements

Do any of you guys(gals) who work out take anything for joint pain or just general health. like maybe MSM, and glucosamine? Any other good stuff?

I've been dealing with sore knees for awhile. Doc says inflamed tendons, and gave me Naproxen to take. I was taking a combo MSM/glucosamine tab for about 5 months but stopped. I'm thinking about starting again, any suggestion?

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 AM

The doctor suggested MSM/glucosamine for my father's knees... they said it suppose to help...

Why did you stop? I thought they're natural stuff?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

I couldn't afford it while I was unemployed. But I have the $$ now.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony View Post
share some... lol
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony View Post
I see... then try to get this one, I bought this for my Dad in one of the natural supplement places in Canada... probably have the same in the US... it's MSM + Glucosamine + Shark Cartilage...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

Hey stone, I'm digging this back up to see what you use...

Quote:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 PM

Ok first thing to consider before you start going on anything. Are you getting enough fats in your diet? This makes a HUGE difference a lot of people start really feeling it in their bones when they cut the fat way down. Most people are getting plenty of fat so this may only be a small part of the problem but the healthier fats (not from animal sources) are definately more beneficial here.

Of course you want to be getting healthy fats from fish and nuts etc. but a big PB sandwhich once a day will help or grab some Omega Fatty Acid Pills and/or Flax Seed Oil PIlls these are very convenient just pop a couple of each during the day and you're covered.
Olive oil is great for this also, have a salad with a big tablespoon of olive oil and red wine vinegar MMMMMmmm or add some olive oil other foods. Everyone has olive oil and its a very healthy fat. $19 for 1 gallon at sams club thats a lot of oil.
2nd thing to think about, flexability. WHen you're stiff you're joints are going to hurt. I'm ALWAYS lazy about stretching my lower back and hamstrings and it manifests itself as knee pain. I take 5 minutes here 5 minutes there a few time a day and bam 2 days later knees are back to feeling great.
Both of the above mentioned will help tendon inflammation but if its keeping you from doing anything stay on the Naproxen. But before you go and live it up with that you need to know that its a NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug) all NSAIDs basically stop the healing process. They do make you feel better but they dont heal you. If you can live without it throw it in the trash. I battle with bursitis very similar to tendonitis so I've been through it all and I know it sucks but this wont makeyou better it will just mask the pain.

After you start to stretch a little (seriously 3 minutes a day of just stretching the legs out will help) you'll feel better but if these dont help do this.

Sams club is your friend (any gnc or nutrition store will do but they'll be more expensive). To start out get the liquid Joint Juice this stuff is like a narcotic it works so well. It has tons of everything but its about $28 and I think its about 18 servings. $$$
Also get the Glucosamine & Chondroitin and the MSM. G&C are about $25 for 180 pills and the MSM is about $15 (just going off memory so I may be a little off). Use up the Joint Juice as recommended just to start you off then switch to 1GC and 1MSM in the AM and 1GC and 1 MSM in the PM. This should set you straight.

This is probably about as good as you're going to get. Things like shark cartiledge I've heard are great but I've never used them so I cant really say.

My main point is you probably dont need to be buying anything if you're spruce up your diet a touch and throw in a little stretching everyday I bet you'll be good to go.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
your gettin old!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
The real Blue ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1stunner View Post
your gettin old!

Thanks Stone. Gonna look into my diet, I've already stoped the Naproxen, and I guess I'll need to start a stretching routine. I take 1500mg of glucosamine, and 1500mg MSM everyday.

Notably, my knees hurt (left one more)the most after a day on my motorcycle, but I've had some pain since I was a teenager. I went to see the doctor, and he wasn't any help.(just gave me the naproxen) He said it was tendon inflammation too, but that was before he had X-rays taken.

</IMG>

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode