Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Protein (how much)??? serious bodybuilders only

If you are a serious body builder....

Just curious how much do you weigh and how much protein do you take in per day. How much of the protein that you take in is by way of protein powders or bars (not food)?

I weigh 230 and I take in approx 200 grams of protein a day about 100 of it is by powders.

Some of the guys at the gym have told me they take almost all of their protein by food (not powders or bars). I just can't believe it, how the heck do you eat that much during the day.

1 chicken breast is about 20grams, 1 can tuna about 25 grams. I just don't think I could eat that much and get everything else in there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:32 PM

This is one of those questions you'll get so many different answers. there are so many factors to take into account. a sedentary person probably doesn't need more than 50g of protein per day but you get a 200lb bodybuilder that is training strenuously 5 days a week and they may need 1g per lb. then you get someone taking drugs that is holding much more than their natural muscle mass and it goes up further. I would say a conservative realistic recommendation would be to bump it up to 300g per day.

One reason to eat more protein is that it is a little harder for the body to turn it into fat than carbohydrates or fat.

As for the powder.. eat as little as possible. If you aren't planning on getting on stage and you're just worried about getting some muscle then have a couple protein shakes during the day but there is no substitute for real protein.
You can do it if you cant eat 200g of real food protein I can tell right now you're handicapping your muscle growth because you eat like a bird.
dont take this as a jab take it as a compliment you're 230lbs eating like a bird that means you have some decent genetics.

I'll just say this and take it for what its worth I'm hardly a pro bodybuilder or anything but I will say I'm right up there with almost anyone my age. I've eaten 200g of protein by my third meal at 10am and I eat until midnight.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:58 AM
FAsT BOYS

pig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

How do you take in 200g of protein by your third meal. Explain what you eat. I want to hear it because a lot of my friends have tried to tell me they take in about 300g a day but when I listen to their meals and what they eat it's not that believable. So by your third meal you would have had have eaten at least 10 chicken breast (how is that possible).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Each oz of chicken has about 7g of protein. so 2 chubby chicken breasts has about 50 grams of protein.

Meal 1. 15 egg whites little ketchup a sprinkle of parmesean, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup oat bran (measured uncooked)
Meal 2. 14oz chicken, 2 bagels
Mal 3. 1 scoop whey protein, 2 scoops calcium casienate, 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 table spoons flax oil

This is what I had yesterday taken right off my diet power software my third meal is almost always protein powder since I'm racing out the door.

THis is a basic rule. To grow you have to eat so that your weight is consistently going up. If you are lifting hard and eating relatively cleanly that weight will for the most part be muscle.

You are 230lbs I have no idea what bodyfat but lets say you're 200lbs of lean lean muscle. You need roughly 3000 calories just to maintain that size... Now your training so you're lifting hard say 60 minutes a day thats 800 more calories you have to eat just to maintain... Now you're 230lbs and you want to get to 250lbs... Thats 1000 calories per day... so now to grow... you're at 4800 calories per day...
If you're eating 40/40/20 thats 480g carbs, 480g protein, 106g fat.
of course this is all just a quick estimate but I'd imagine its not that far off.

I've spent a little time with some upper level boybuilders Jay Cutler and Craig Titus are the only two you've probably heard of and I can speak from first hand experience these guys are consuming ungodly amounts of food.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:55 PM

1.5x ur body weight
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Well 2 things...

1. coloncleanser1 - i've heard 1.5x protein is for the boys taking the extra supplements (steroids). I've been told to take 1 gram per lb of lean muscle and some for the lean muscle you want to gain i.e. 180lbs lean muscle take in 180grams plus you want to get up to 200lbs lean muscle take in 200 grams total.

2. Stone...for some unknown reason i've had it in my head that 1 chicken breast (6oz) is 25grams but actually it's 42 (wow).(i looked it up just to be sure the #'s were right). 2 of my friends won Mr. Minnesota (not that it makes them experts) but yeah they were telling me I don't take in enough protein. I weigh 230 and fluctuate between 230 -235 (water weight). I'm sure lean muscle is aroun 190-200, I took some fat caliper test that showed I would be 200lbs at 7% bodyfat but I'm never sure if I can trust those things. I'm actually going to start dieting so I can get down to a cleaner look (well i shouldn't say dieting i'm going to eat the same but start doing cardio). Then I'd like to add more lean muscle mass. We'll see.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 AM

Keep up the good work try to increase your protein intake a little bit but remember thats just a small part of the picture. Read a little bit to make sure your diet is solid. Protein is important but its no more important than your fats or carbohydrates.

Oh and by the way 230 at 7% bf is enormous.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i'll vouch...stone is ONE BIG MOFO! one of the best at advice i've came in contact with also...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Corey just has a crush on me. I'm really 160 but photochop all my pictures before I post them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode