Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Stone, Need Some Help

Hey Stone, a long time ago I told you I had severe shoulder pains in my shoulder, in the joints area. I made the mistake for bulkin for a straight year... I weighed 200lbs benchin 400lbs and squatin 600... I have been off lifting for 3 months now and still in pain. Doctors wouldnt MRI my shoulders to see if anything is wrong with my rotator cup, and now I lost all my medical. I just started doing these excercises:

Im doing them with 3lb weights and it hurts in the shoulder area... Should I keep doing these or should i take more time off?? I really need to get back into training for cagefighting but really cant till my shoulder is good. When I try 20 push ups my shoulder goes into pain..

Since I lost my medical I really cant go to the doctor again..

If you think I should continue to do these excercises to rehab my shoulder do you have anymore workouts. Im keeping everything really light so that im not in agony..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:01 PM

If you tore your rotator cuff and have let it heal and now its time to start strengthening it then these will help.

I would stop lifting so heavy first of all. you're a little guy and you're asian if I'm not mistaken. Mongoloids have the fewest androgen receptors per area of muscle tissue this is why you dont see many asian bodybuilders. In contrast Negroids have the most which is why some black dudes grow muscle doing anything.
Chances are you aren't a freak of nature asian guy that is just freakishly strong. My guess is that you are pretty strong but sloppy in the gym and bouncing weights and using a dash of inertia to heft those weights. You need to think about your goals.. will squatting 600lbs help you win a fight? I'm not a fighter but I know how my body has transformed athletically as I grow and it would be to my disadvantage in a fight.
If you want to set some powerlifting records then you need to get in touch with some guys that know how to periodize your training so you aren't damaging yourself. Westside barbell club turns out some serious dudes if you're interested.

If you are seriously interested in being a fighter stop lifting for a couple months. I really have no idea who your coach is but bulking doesn't really make sense. Training for power and most of all endurance would seem the smartest way and any bulk you put on will be more of a side effect of proper training. I thought guys try to get stronger without moving up into the next weight class? Am I wrong?

So its time to face facts... You're lifting too much for your body. Genetically you were given a package you have to do what you can with that. Chances are you aren't going to be huge anytime soon but thats good since you want to be a cage fighter. I would take 2 weeks away from the weights all together. If there isn't any stiffness do periodized cardio for your training. Maybe run some fight simulations on the bike or stair climber. Go at 80% for 5 minutes or whatever a round is. Then hop off or go very very slow for 2 minutes or whatever time is inbetween rounds. I would do this a few times a week and then sit down and really stretch yourself out. Flexibility is a huge huge advantage in fighting so get on the mat and work at it.

After 2 weeks start from scratch. Bench 20lb dumbells even 10's it doesn't matter you have to heal.

It sucks to rehab because its so boring but keep in your head that you dont want to be the 20yo kid that tore something major that permanently sidelined him and then you spent the rest of your life telling people how good you could have been.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

I am actually 50/50. White and Korean. Im 6ft, 210lbs, huge shoulders and thighs from playing football, soccer, and track. I have a bigger build then alot of people, just not cut. I have really great form, get complements from all the body builders there, I never bounce anything and have proper technique. I take my reps slow and steady, dont use any momentum. It was just that I pushed my body for a year straight bulking up. Im not going to lie, i wanted to hit the 400lb mark in bench, just wanted to be a lil stronger.

CageFighting has alot to do with strength and technique, everyone I went against my weight I dominated. Alot of cagefighters train for muscle strength and stamina. I was near the end of my bulking stage when I was going to switch over but I made the mistake for lifting to heavy and for way to long and working in a warehouse all day. Say basicly I was lifting for 8 hours a day.

Every since I got hurt 3 months ago, I have not lifted a thing. I wont even train to cagefight till im 100%, throwing punches hurts my shoulders.

I really just needed to know if you thought it was ok to continue doing these excercises or just stop. Also is there any other excercises that you know that could help build strength in my shoulders to add on top of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

[quote=STONE;338369]You need to think about your goals.. will squatting 600lbs help you win a fight? I'm not a fighter but I know how my body has transformed athletically as I grow and it would be to my disadvantage in a fight.
quote]

Theres 3 types of fighters: Stand Up, Ground, and submission. Im a stand/ground striker. Also Im really good at ground defense. My striking is unbelieveable from building strength up. Also when I fight, ill be fighting in some open class tournaments where you fight heavyweights as well... so legs and arm strength is a must. Even though I have alot of strength, im very flexible.. I can throw a round house kick to a 6ft'2 guy no problem.

I was actually going to switch to Tito Ortiz's workout, but got hurt. His workout 2 months before a fight changes to, lower weight, high reps, no rest in between workouts.

I really do appreciate the advice about healing, but strength is a big key in fighting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I really just needed to know if you thought it was ok to continue doing these excercises or just stop. Also is there any other excercises that you know that could help build strength in my shoulders to add on top of these?
If your shoulders are injured and it sounds like they are lifting any amount of weight is going to just keep them from healing. Sometimes leaving something alone is the best medicine.

My guess is you have inflammed tendons sacks. The Bursa are little pockets of fluid on the tendons that let them slide over bone. If these little guys get angry you'll know it. Seriously though you shouldn't lift right now. Get creative go swim some laps that will really increase our VO2 max and I cant think of a better range of motion with zero impact on the shoulders. After you swim take a cool shower then race to your car and get your shoulders on ice ASAP. Ice them as long as you can get big bags of ice so you're cooling down the whole girdle. Week one or two shoulder exercises that dont hurt do a weight that is rediculously light. seriously like 10-20lbs. after that go ice again. Week three try some light chest then a few days later try some light shoulders. seriously its a slow process but you cant push it.

If you have Dough you can pay $10,000 an hour to go sit in a hyperbaric chamber once a day. This will speed healing by about 200% but pro athletes are the only people really using this.

Slow and patient and you'll be fine. Maybe get some massages you may have some adhesions in there pulling on things.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

I totally agree with you about the lifting.. It really sucks to loose 10lbs of muscle mass in the last 4 months but i been staying off of it... I really miss working out. I get the urge to lift but all my buddies wont let me and talk me outta it. My home is the gym....

I really want to train my ju jitsu but if the guy tweaks my shoulder the wrong way im done.... I did those excercises you showed, and moved up to 3x15 with 3lbs for each one. My shoulders are burning... do you think i should stop doing them?

I noticed when I do things that require shoulder movement my shoulders start to fatigue and eventually start to burn bad...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:12 PM

HEllbound take 1600mg/ day of ibuprofen for a week. dont do any shoulder work at all. let the inflammation go down. then REALLY go super super easy veyr light. and ice after you lift EVERY TIME.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Faster and Better

will do. ill let you know what happens in the next week
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Hellbound seriously this is the hardest part of lifting. sitting back and not doing anything. Its hard but if you dont do it you'll just injure yourself. Shoulders are like knees you get one chance with them, when you hurt them they're never the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode