Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Recommended Stretches....

I'm taking up racing this season, and am looking at increasing my flexibility/strength for when I'm on the bike. I play a lot of squash (4-5 times a week) at state level, so am cardiologically fit, and am quite lean (6'3", 180lbs). I've done quite a few full trackdays now, and have no problem with fatigue or anything, until the last session of the day (after about 65 laps).

Can someone help me with some tips for a basic stretching/home workout to help me improve movement around on the bike?

I don't have any weights, but have a gymball if that helps at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
the only thing that ever bothers me is the side of my calves , they burn like hell after about 12 laps, so I strectch my legs as if I were going on a run...itb strech and such...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Pilates. There's dvds so you don't have to participate in classes, all you need is a mat, for a bit of more variation you already have the gymball, there's also a rubber band thingy.

Pilates makes you more bendy and flexible and helps with your strength

Dvds:
Pilates for Dummies

and the dvds from Winsor Pilates

Some extra info for you dudes (men)

and some general info:
http://www.winsorpilates.com/learn/i...edf1afcd540791

Last edited by ffwf; 02-23-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf View Post
Pilates. There's dvds so you don't have to participate in classes, all you need is a mat, for a bit of more variation you already have the gymball, there's also a rubber band thingy.

Pilates makes you more bendy and flexible and helps with your strength
i was gonna say the same thing.....

i was watching something on tv the other day, and a lot of football and basketball players are doing this as well....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha View Post
i was gonna say the same thing.....

i was watching something on tv the other day, and a lot of football and basketball players are doing this as well....
Yeah it sounded exactly what he was asking for.

And I know you can experience the difference in your flexibility and strength after just a couple of times.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwf View Post
Yeah it sounded exactly what he was asking for.

And I know you can experience the difference in your flexibility and strength after just a couple of times.
i wouldn't know, i sit on the couch and watch tv....
: :
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:51 PM

I been training Krav Maga... Its painful, but on a fitness level Is like nothing I have done. It is high stress in the context you can get jacked up pretty good.

I was a Junior Olympic skier in High School and benefitted greatly training in the OTC programs (Olympic Training Center) in Colorado Springs... nothing I did there got me into the fitness I currently have from my Krav program.

Pilates is excellent for core strenght development. It is very recommended for post injury work. I find that it might be a bit stressful.

I alway used pool work as it is the least stressful form of fitnes development.

Stretching and Yoga are very good... I do like 10-15 minutes a night before bed.

I think this with some resistance training is a good fitness paradigm.

I no longer run as it is to stressful, vs the benefits atleast for me.

I appluad anyone who trains here.

Also diet fellas is the main deal... got to eat relatively good or none of it matters.

Remember that if you have external fat stores, you should be less concerned with that as it is the visceral fat (internal fat stores near the organs) that will get you.

happy training.

My mods are ghey...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha View Post
i wouldn't know, i sit on the couch and watch tv....
: :
Thus 'Budha'... it all makes sense now

:corn

My mods are ghey...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:39 AM
RacerX85

Riding hard day after day helps. If you are not a factory rider, go ride twisties nearby (if you have them) it's not a bad idea to go out there and ride at 85% for a whole day with buddies on days off or weekends. After spending more or less 6 hours in the saddle straight you will be worn out, and it has the benefit of working ONLY those muscles that you absolutely need for riding.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX85 View Post
Riding hard day after day helps. If you are not a factory rider, go ride twisties nearby (if you have them) it's not a bad idea to go out there and ride at 85% for a whole day with buddies on days off or weekends. After spending more or less 6 hours in the saddle straight you will be worn out, and it has the benefit of working ONLY those muscles that you absolutely need for riding.
This an astute comment... A former coach I said never go past 70% in competition or even when you are going for it training. One should take into account adrenelin, inceased emotions, and being hungry to get it. If you go 100% there is no room for the forementioned...

My mods are ghey...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:07 PM

Pilates is great and will benefit your strength and flexibility to a point.. If you're riding correctly (so I'm told) you're doing fairly slow, smooth, and controlled movements thats exactly what pilates is and it sounds great but... pilates wont build coordination, agility and wont prepare you for high tissue stresses that you'll endure in a crash to the extent plyometrics or agility drills will.

I would be willing to bet anyone thats successful racing a motorcycle is a formidable athlete. I doubt any of them are incredible at one thing but they're probably really good at just about everything.

so choose your sport of choice soccer, football, tennis, anything that gets you out there and gets you moving will probably be the best offseason training you can do but a little pilates, stretching, weight lifting will only help you.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Found this....pretty good stuff....

The Essential Stretches
Recent studies knock it, so perhaps stretching isn't necessary? OH YES IT IS. Do as athletes do, and work the following moves into your workout to stay fit, flexible, and injury-free.

Stretching hurts. It's time-consuming. It's dull. So when yet another study says stretching has little impact on athletic performance or injury avoidance (as a handful of recent studies have done), relieved weekend warriors are happy to cross it off their workout checklists. Don't be fooled. Sure, overextending your muscles can make them too elastic, or, if you haven't warmed up, even lead to muscle pulls. But in sport after sport, the most successful and enduring athletes are the loosest. NFL workhorse Eddie George, 33, credited his longevity to staying flexible through yoga, and Wimbledon champ Roger Federer is famously limber. "Stretching not only improves range of motion, it prepares your muscles and helps them recover," says Suzanne Meth, manager of ultraexclusive New York gym E. What's more, proper stretching can free constricted nerves, realign your frame, and even prevent muscle-degenerating fibrosis as you age. Whether you're running or lifting, the following basic stretches should be an essential part of your workout routine.

THE ALL-IN-ONE STRETCH Warm up before trying this all-body stretch. It's good for loosening up at the end of the day or when you just don't have time for more.

Lunge forward with your right leg, extend your left leg behind you, and lean forward to stretch the hip flexors of the rear leg. Then square your hips and tilt your pelvis back, abs in, to stretch the front of that hip. Finally, raise your arms overhead to stretch your upper torso and abs. If you can, also bend your left knee to stretch the quads. Switch legs and repeat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEIGHTLIFTING Warm up with dynamic stretching. Slowly flow between poses, holding each for a few seconds, then repeat the cycle.

HAMSTRINGS
Bend at the waist, leading with your chest, until you're doubled over. With your back and legs as straight as possible, try to bring your torso to your quads until you feel the stretch.

QUADS
Stand up straight, bend your left knee, grab hold of your left foot with your left hand, and pull it up and back, toward your butt. Hold for 3 seconds, then switch legs and repeat.

PECTORALS
Place palms or forearms on each side of a door frame at chest level and gently lean forward, until you feel a comfortable stretch across the chest.

LOWER BACK
With the door open, bend over with a straight back and grab both sides of the door handle with outstretched arms. Slowly pull back from the door with your back straight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUNNING A brisk five-minute walk is sufficient warm-up, but static stretches after, held for at least 30 seconds, are essential to proper muscle recovery.

HAMSTRINGS
With your left calf on a handrail, legs and back straight, slowly stick out your butt. Feel the stretch all the way down your left thigh, as well as behind the knee. Switch and repeat.

QUADS/HIP FLEXORS
With left knee fully bent, place your left foot behind you on the handrail. Lower your body until you feel a strong stretch in the left thigh and front hip. Switch legs and repeat.

EXTERNAL HIP ROTATORS
Bend your left knee and rotate the hip across your body, placing your left foot on the handrail (a chair is easier). Stick out your butt and stretch the glutes.

CALVES
Place the balls of your feet on the edge of a treadmill or raised platform, allowing your heels to hang off the back. Holding the handrails, press your heels to the floor.

By: Josh Condon
Photographs by: Monte Isom
(October 2006)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 AM
RacerX85

Thanks Dee Dub! I'll try that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode