Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Lifting to get toned

Does anyone have a good ideas or a good regimen to really get cut?

I used to lift for mass but I'm not the tallest fellow and I don't want to look like the dwarf from The Lord of the rings.

I used to do a full body regimen for gaining Mass: I would usually do 3 sets with about 8-10 reps and do 3 exercises per muscle group. I would try to do a big group with a small one (Chest/biceps, Back/Tri's)

So the only thing I've really changed is that I now do 2 sets with 20 reps. I'm also doing the HIIT which I actually just finished.

I know there are some knowledgeable people here so if I'm not doing something that I should be I would love to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
No Crying Allowed

I think you need to define what you really want to do....

If your looking to build strength and not size that is one thing... but to get "cut" to some people means large and defined....

I was taught many years ago that high reps and moderate weight will give you a very nice "cut" but for building size it's max weight and lower reps.

I'm sure many more people on here will have some better answers though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
FAsT BOYS

no matter how you lift you need to pay attention to your diet to get cut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snair View Post
no matter how you lift you need to pay attention to your diet to get cut
:imwst

eat very clean , meaning no empty carbs and you will get cut pretty much no matter how you work out,

try something diff with your work out each week

the old 3 sets 3 exercises will get you in a rut pretty quick

try alternating which exercise you do first each week but make it a heavy weight exercise ex: for chest flat barbell bench or inlined barbell bench or flat dumbell bench or inclined dumbell bench

now start very light and warm up the muscle for like 20 reps
increase weight go to 15
increase weight do 10
keep doing this till you get to the weight that you can only do 1 or 2 reps
then back to the weight you did around 6 reps

i shoot for total of about 6-7 sets of the weight that i could do less then 10 reps

now do the rest of your workout,

this way you shock your muscles each week it is really working well for me right now

I also do 4-5 sets of the large muscle group and 3 of the accessory muscle group

good luck , and experiment everyone is diff and what works for me might not for you

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Diet is definitely my week point, but I am getting better. My schedule is pretty hectic with school and all so the lack of a steady schedule messes up the diet part for me.

Vcycle... It sounds like the workout you detailed is for gaining mass, at least that is what I was told when i first starting lifting in high school. I do switch it up every now and then, sometimes i'll do negative resistance, and reps to failure.

I guess I gotta work on my diet. I wish i could pay to have meals delivered everyday that were super healthy and the desired amount of calories, and the right ratio of protein, to carbs, to fat. I guess that's asking too much.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBrianZX6R View Post
Vcycle... It sounds like the workout you detailed is for gaining mass, at least that is what I was told when i first starting lifting in high school. I do switch it up every now and then, sometimes i'll do negative resistance, and reps to failure. .

I would have said the same thing 2 years ago but now i feel like your body shape will be mostly determined by diet. If you do what im saying and eat a lot yep you will get big. If you do the routine and eat lean you will get ripped.

I feel like you need to work out with intensity and eat how you want to look. Im no personal trainer but I have read a lot. Taken nutrition classes and have been working out off and on for 18 years. Plus I stayed at a holiday inn express last night. This is just what ive noticed from diff approaches over the years that ive taken.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBrianZX6R View Post
Thanks guys. Diet is definitely my week point, but I am getting better. My schedule is pretty hectic with school and all so the lack of a steady schedule messes up the diet part for me.

Vcycle... It sounds like the workout you detailed is for gaining mass, at least that is what I was told when i first starting lifting in high school. I do switch it up every now and then, sometimes i'll do negative resistance, and reps to failure.

I guess I gotta work on my diet. I wish i could pay to have meals delivered everyday that were super healthy and the desired amount of calories, and the right ratio of protein, to carbs, to fat. I guess that's asking too much.
i think vc is right. the diet is very simple eat about every three hours. a 6 to 8 oz portion of lean meat chicken, tuna, lean beef etc, some type of vege like asparagus, broccoli whatever. leave out the butter and excessive salts. and very limited portions of carbs. if you must have carbs eat brown natural rice or maybe even sweet potatoes. dont eat the carbs later than say 6pm. if you try to go too extreme on the low carbs you will know it because you will feel tired and have no energy. if you eat eggs get rid of about half of the yolks. remember you will need to eat about 2x the grams of protien for each pound of bodyweight you currently carry. drink 1/2 gallon of green tea per day. it is a natural burner and also has antioxidents. HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE drink alot of water. im not a pro at this stuff though so consult a proffessional. hahaha good luck
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
I would have said the same thing 2 years ago but now i feel like your body shape will be mostly determined by diet. If you do what im saying and eat a lot yep you will get big. If you do the routine and eat lean you will get ripped.

I feel like you need to work out with intensity and eat how you want to look. Im no personal trainer but I have read a lot. Taken nutrition classes and have been working out off and on for 18 years. Plus I stayed at a holiday inn express last night. This is just what ive noticed from diff approaches over the years that ive taken.

I do appreciate the advice. Diet is definitely my week point but Its definitely getting better. I don't need any help on the intensity of my workouts.

I guess I have to keep that in mind... "you are what you eat".

But what about all that tasty calorie laden beer????

The Holiday Inn line had me

Thanks Snair and VC!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM
FAsT BOYS

your welcome vc knows more about it i think haha
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
40+ minute of cardio after each workout

I do reps of 8 with pretty heavy weight

Then only slight drop the weight and do 12

Then back up with weight and try to pump out 8

I also do alot of "natural" lifts..dips,pull up variations, push ups, sqauts, etc.

Also try to eat 5 times a day.

Wake up and have cereal and a bow of fruit, later a peanut butter sandwich, then salad or an apple, then fish/chicken grilled for dinner, then maybe a banana before bed with a beer or wine. It varies usually, but I try to keep it similar to this and consistent.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 AM

YOu cannot get really lean without the correct diet... sit down with someone that knows how to get really lean. I'm well aware that bodybuilders in general are freakin' morons but they are an incredible resource for getting LEAN. find an educated competitive bodybuilder (make sure they actually compete and looked good because 90% of people at the gym consider themselves experts before they ever compete)
You'd be suprised, I think for what you're wanting to do it woulnd't be that hard.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Diet is always the weak point , just try to eat 30% less at every meal (3X a day) that should help a little ...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 PM

try to eat 30% better at every meal. not less. it will be more beneficial.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode