Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Tried something new today....

Today went to the gym, hit up shoulders and some abs...then the elliptical and some treadmill. On the way out I stuck my head inside the massive "climbing wall" room. I spoke with the chick in charge, she showed me how they train. They not only go UP, but side to side on the wall. I learned a few techniques and gave it a shot. WOW.................. I tried 3 times to go right to left and barely made it halfway across before muscle failure. Arms were shaking....legs too.

I think I'm going to add this into my routine, maybe 3 to 4 times a week. Total body workout for sure, and definitely different than the same old routine. If you get a chance, you should check it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
bad ass and lucky. Wish more gyms would carry the rock climbing wall. Those things are such a great work out
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 AM
FAsT BOYS

look at the free climbers. not very big but ripped and strong as hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

yea, she mentioned in about a month of training, I'd start to really notice myself getting "leaner".... I can totally believe it too, total body workout from your fingers to your toes

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Good deal. Always good to try something new.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
I did free climbing when I was young about once a week. I was thin as hell. I started gaining weight not long after I stopped. I wish I had the knees/toes for it now, but arthritis is a bitch..

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

I went back today, did about an hour's worth of what I would call climbing, and the pro's would call "looking like a n00b."

I made quite a few attempts to go horizontally across the wall, each time going until my arms and fingers couldn't take it anymore. Quite an exercise. I'm going back tomorrow to do it all again

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 PM

That sounds like a great way to tone the ol' bod.
Since I'm a fat old man I would have to start very easy and work up to it slowly.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Random Sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
bad ass and lucky. Wish more gyms would carry the rock climbing wall. Those things are such a great work out
Hellbound, try Vertical Hold off of Miramar and Distribution Ave. It'll have everything you could want in a rock gym. It's an indoor "disneyland" for climbers.

Vertical Hold

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
climbing is for skinny ass people...all there is to it i hate it...i would pay to see stone it try it LOL

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
I was gonnna say somthing really whitty n funn but ill keep it ot myself! LOL!!!!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM

I've never really tried indoor rock climbing walls, I used to climb vertical rock walls (in the wild, lol) as a kid for the thrill I suppose (and it was faster than going around) I kinda like the feeling where you sorta have to shift weight around your body or you'll fall and really hurt yourself.
In short climbing is fun. and I am glad you enjoy it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

before lifting today I hit the indoor rock wall for about 45 mins.... Serious workout. I "bouldered" horizontally and then climbed vertically a few times. You'd think it was easy, but I was out of breath. It's crazy, but good times

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Trust me, I'm a Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin
Just wait until you start throwing dynos!

USMC: We put the "laughter" back in Slaughter.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I dont inhale

damn i wish someone around here had a rock wall, sounds like a blast

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM
The answer? Simple: 42

Many REI stores have walls you can climb. Not sure if you have any of them around you.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 PM

most lifetime fitness have huge walls
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM

What a wuss sport/routine. Try speed roping. Now that's a sport
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 AM
HillBilly

Send a message via AIM to KWComp Send a message via Yahoo to KWComp
Never tried it, the gym I go to has none but its usually not open when I am there. I think I might try to re-schedule my workout and give it a try though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode