Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yamahuh
What do you recommend as a routine?

OK, first off I'm 43 and haven't been in a gym regularly in over a year. I enjoy training and in the past have always been physically active, Karate, Kickboxing, Bike riding, Tennis, Gym etc
Anyway this past year is the first time, for numerous reasons, that I have been so disgustingly inactive.
I've been drinking too much beer in the evenings, vegging on the couch or replying to threads here and accumulating insulation that I don't need in southern Taiwan and I just discovered a new gym yesterday
Mostly it's machines but there are a few free weights as well.
The hours kinda suck so I'm only gonna be able to get there about 3 X per week if I'm dedicated and even then only for an hour or so start to finish.

I want to lose bodyfat and tone, I am a hard gainer and my age won't help any but I really want to lose my stomach fat and tone my gut ... and pretty much everywhere else for that matter.

I know my way around the machines pretty well so what would be a good overall routine to try and accomplish these goals?

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
I would start with cardio machines, and swim if you access to it.

Oh, and stop drinking beer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
I would start with cardio machines, and swim if you access to it.

Oh, and stop drinking beer

+1 even walking to begin with. Following that, lots of reps on pushups, squats, every ab workout you know of, lunges. The best part is you don't need the gym for this kind of stuff. Once you get your stamina back skipping rope is an ass kicker too. Supposedly, 10 minutes of skipping rope is equivalent to 30 minutes of jogging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Right, well I've every intention of doing cardio to burn off fat but I guess what I'm asking is for a routine from start to finish i.e what to do first and for how long, reps, sets etc when is cardio most effective? before or after a workout?
To get the best results in the shortest time what are the best exercises that work the most muscle groups at the same times...stuff like that

Its really hard to take an angry man seriously when hes wearing a bathrobe. - Carl Fogarty
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
I would start with cardio, to get a complete warm up, then hit the weight.

As far as reps that is your own call as I can't tell you want you need to accomplish.

You should google some weight training sites to see what wight and reps would be good for you. IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I dont inhale

if you can only go 3 times a week I would do a push pull workout

day 1 push exercises

flat or incline bench 10 sets 8 to 10 reps
tricep extensions 10 sets 8 to 10 reps
over head shoulder presses 10 sets 8-10 reps

day 2 pull exercises

lat pull down wide grip palms forward 10 sets 8-10reps
some form of narow grip row 10 sets 8-10 reps
some form of arm curl 10 sets 8-10 reps

day 3 legs

squats or leg press you guessed it 10 sets8-10 reps
leg curls 10 sets 8-10 reps
calf raises 10 sets 10-12 reps

that will hit most of your body, you should do a different exercise each week example 1 week flat barbell bench press, next week incline barbell, next week flat dumbell you could rotate through 3 or 4 diff variations for each exercise

you can do abs 3 to 4 times a week

if you are trying to loose weight i would do your cardio following weight training. you will be fresher for the weight training and you will have used up your easily accesable energy so hopefully youll tap into fat storage for the cardio

eat a good protein source shortly after working out,like a protein shake it will help recovery

cut the size of your meals in half and eat twice as often. Do not avoid carbs just processed or empty carbs.

always start out with a couple light sets ( they dont count toward the 10) to warm up the muscle and get a good blood suply to it. It is a good idea to end with a couple light easy sets to blow out some of the lactic acid buildup it will decrease how sore you are

good luck start slow and work your way into it. If you cant move the next day you arent going to make it to the gym.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 AM
phil-osepher

so it's been 20 days since the original post....what have you done? So many people talk a good game about getting started, then realize it's actually "work" and quit.

Hope that's not you!

Good luck

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
if you can only go 3 times a week I would do a push pull workout

you can do abs 3 to 4 times a week

if you are trying to loose weight i would do your cardio following weight training. you will be fresher for the weight training and you will have used up your easily accesable energy so hopefully youll tap into fat storage for the cardio

good luck start slow and work your way into it. If you cant move the next day you arent going to make it to the gym.
Awesome advice VCycle, thanks a lot. Exactly what I was looking for when I first posted. Good tip on the cardio.
A couple of questions though.

1: Will doing your push - pull workout hit the muscles often enough in one session to increase muscle mass. It seems like once a week isn't really enough but I'm far from an expert.

2: I find when I do lying ab work that my lower back gets really sore and I can't do many reps as a result. Also if I'm doing stuff like hanging leg raises my thighs get really tight. Am I using incorrect form or is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
so it's been 20 days since the original post....what have you done? So many people talk a good game about getting started, then realize it's actually "work" and quit.

Hope that's not you!

Good luck
Well I joined the gym and have been going a minimum of twice a week but really trying for 3 X. The days after the first visit were very sore I'll tell ya!!
I cut beer completely out for over two weeks, had a couple last night at a staff party for Chinese New Year but am being very conscious of keeping it reasonable and definitely NOT every night. Have been trying to increase my daily exercise from about 0 by walking up to our 9th floor apartment whenever the elevator isn't right there, skipping for 15 - 20 minutes a day, jogging or just walking more often. Quit smoking over 3 months ago and am felling really good about that too...

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Awesome advice VCycle, thanks a lot. Exactly what I was looking for when I first posted. Good tip on the cardio.

your welcome
A couple of questions though.

1: Will doing your push - pull workout hit the muscles often enough in one session to increase muscle mass. It seems like once a week isn't really enough but I'm far from an expert.

truthfully you have to find what works for you. You are correct to a point. You are not going to look like a guy in a magazine working out 3 days in a week but you are going from a baseline of no weight training so yes you will put muscle on from what you have now. Working out tends to feed itself as you get results and start to reach a sticking point then you have to decide if you want to ramp up your workout or if your happy with where you are at. To give you an idea I now work out each body part only once a week there is some overlap but for the most part each is hit once a week and ive been growing like a weed. but it is the diet

2: I find when I do lying ab work that my lower back gets really sore and I can't do many reps as a result. Also if I'm doing stuff like hanging leg raises my thighs get really tight. Am I using incorrect form or is this normal?

hard to say without seeing you. Try this go to a bench press rack. lay on it like you were going to bench press with your but close enough to the bottom so your legs can completely over hang. unrack the bar and hold it straight up like you were begining a set. lift you legs off the ground till they are pointing straight up and now lift your but off the bench pressing your heels towards the ceiling. do a few sets of 12 you will feel it. as you obliques get stronger let me know ill give you a similiar exercise for them

Well I joined the gym and have been going a minimum of twice a week but really trying for 3 X. The days after the first visit were very sore I'll tell ya!!
I cut beer completely out for over two weeks, had a couple last night at a staff party for Chinese New Year but am being very conscious of keeping it reasonable and definitely NOT every night. Have been trying to increase my daily exercise from about 0 by walking up to our 9th floor apartment whenever the elevator isn't right there, skipping for 15 - 20 minutes a day, jogging or just walking more often. Quit smoking over 3 months ago and am felling really good about that too...
good start keep it up!!!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 AM

Go moutain biking on a single speed bike.Best cardio work out u will find
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 AM
phil-osepher

good job on continuing to do what 2/3 of America can't seem to grasp!

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Which bit?
Not smoking, not drinking every day or trying to get some regular exercise?

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM

I found this site a long time ago when I started working out.

http://exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

It gives various routines based on how many days you can make it to the gym, and lists the exercises you can do. I've done both the three day and four day. I haven't done the four day in a long time since I wanted more times in the evening since I started working full time. Since then I've started working out in the mornings. But back in college, only working part-time, I had plenty of times during the day/morning to hit the gym. I would work out M-Th every week. Though, I didn't do much cardio until a couple years ago.

For a while my routine was this:

Monday: Chest/triceps
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back/shoulders/abs
Thursday: Jogging
Friday: off
Sat/Sun: Jogging

Jogging and gym were always followed by a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing the workout. Let me know if you want some recommendations in that department as well.

For a diet, just keep it simple. Eat what your mom told you to eat. Don't eat a lot of fast food, get your whole grains, and eat your vegetables. Watch your portion sizes. Eat until you're satisfied, not until you're stuffed. (unless you're bodybuilding, then eat until you're stuffed, down a protein shake, then eat some more).

If you want a beer, drink it. The most important thing for a diet (and when you exercise, you earn this right in my opinion) is indulge! It's all in moderation. Have that triple chocolate cake after a special dinner. In fact, eat someone else's desert too. They'll just whine about how fattening it was anyway. And that's annoying.

Edit: You asked about cardio before or after. This is up to you and you'll probably need to try both before you can figure out what you prefer. Cardio beforehand is good because it gets the blood flowing which is good for preventing injury. But... it can also tire you. Cardio afterward is good because you're getting cardio and you're not worn out before you hit the weights. But, you lose that before-workout warm-up. Personally, any cardio I do beforehand I try to keep minimal so I'm not tired when I start lifting. If I do any heavy cardio, I'll burn what's left in the tank after a good weight lifting session. But, I do cardio on days when I'm not weight lifting since my schedule affords me that flexibility.

2006 Ninja 250R

Last edited by Menotomy; 09-25-2011 at 08:35 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Crossfit!!! lol you will die

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Wow!

After about 30 months this old thread has been resurrected eh?
Thanks for the advice Menotomy.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Wow!

After about 30 months this old thread has been resurrected eh?
Thanks for the advice Menotomy.
Wow that long? Well, hopefully it was still useful information.

2006 Ninja 250R
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotomy View Post
Wow that long? Well, hopefully it was still useful information.
useful for someone who isn't old, fat and lazy

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat View Post
I see you really like that humping banana emoticon.

2006 Ninja 250R
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
7c Forever

LP has signed every post he's ever made on this board with that emoticon.

Infact at one point we changed the tag for it, and he just kept singing it nannas till we gave in and changed it back. Something many of us thought was pretty funny.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Abusin' the scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat View Post
Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode