Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Protein Supplements

Does anyone else take these ? I get a whey protein mix from
http://affordablesupplements.com/
and always feel like I get an extra boost from taking it , as if I can tell when I have been vs. when I haven't been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
whey protein mix shouldn't make you feel any different unless it's spiked :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Recovery time seems to be what I notice most with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
well if it has glutamine and stuff in it that would help you for sure, but pure protein shouldn't. many supps do have other stuff in them though like vitamins, amino's, glutamine, etc

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Re: Protein Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRum
Does anyone else take these ? I get a whey protein mix from
http://affordablesupplements.com/
and always feel like I get an extra boost from taking it , as if I can tell when I have been vs. when I haven't been.
Yeah, I use a 100% Whey Protein supplement. I really don't notice that it aids in my recovery. However, I have recently started taking Anavol, a creatine supplement. Anavol helps increase lean muscle mass, energy, strength as well as maximize recovery. I also take L-Glutamine, which helps support muscle mass.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 PM

actually really good protein, corey like you have, will speed you up a little. Most of the stuff around today is crap and kind of bogs you down. But real pure hydrolyzed whey will give you a mild stimulant feeling. Sort of lights you up.

Protein will effect your recovery if you aren't getting enough.. how much is enough?? Dont ask me its so individual its hard to say. I would say 1g per pound of bodyweight is a good rule for most people. Then you add from there. 4 or more days in the gym increase by .5, steroids, another .5. Right now im getting a good number of my calories from protein and eating just about 2.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Yes for most people this is overkill, can my body possibly assimilate all this protein?? hell no but maybe if im lucky it will tear through half of it. The rest is a just a clean source of fuel that isnt' as readily turned into fat. I dont mind it but all the tuna I eat is getting to me already.

Another thing most people dont realize is the manufactureres of whey protein spew all this "fastest digesting" "rapid acting" blah blah. Too bad an adult can't digest whole proteins, you can only do that as an infant. The protein is broken down into simpler AA's then its held in a "pool" in the liver and released as needed. So even if your protein digests IMMEDIEATLY the liver has the final say on how fast it is released.

Now im not saying dont eat your post workouit meal quickly but I think its more important to have some sugar (fruits, honey, raisins, right now im eating pineapple because of the enzymes present) along with your protein.

I used to hit up a HUGE protein shake with like 200g of carbs and 100g protein. Well I got fat.. In the offseason when im not being nazi extreme with my diet I have a little protein drink right after I lift then I go straight to del taco and get a good bunch of burritos with chicken. The chicken, rice, veggies even the white flour tortillas can help you out. I just get them without any of the fatty white sauce.

Whole food is best but supplements have their place in a busy schedule.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:34 PM

What do you think about Labrada Lean Body Shakes ? Are they good for you or hype like everything else ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 PM

supaed, what are the ingredients? im sure they are ok just lke all supplements. If you have the time and dedication dont use any protein powder. IF you can get all your protein from eggs, chicken, fish, beans, etc you will be better off. BUT for most of us time and convenience is a big issue this is where protein supplements come into play.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmuffinboi
supaed, what are the ingredients? im sure they are ok just lke all supplements. If you have the time and dedication dont use any protein powder. IF you can get all your protein from eggs, chicken, fish, beans, etc you will be better off. BUT for most of us time and convenience is a big issue this is where protein supplements come into play.
This is what I use http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lab/lowcarb.html . I think my problem isn't dedication It's knowing what to eat .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 PM

Actually that looks like a pretty good RTD. They always skimp on the protien they use but this one lists milk protein isolate and whey isolate neither are bad. most have soy and casein protein concentrate which are super cheap and not as good. it isn't a bad meal replacement shake and quiet honestly is one that I would drink. If you have any more questions just ask or PM me. Glad to help.

Stone
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmuffinboi
Actually that looks like a pretty good RTD. They always skimp on the protien they use but this one lists milk protein isolate and whey isolate neither are bad. most have soy and casein protein concentrate which are super cheap and not as good. it isn't a bad meal replacement shake and quiet honestly is one that I would drink. If you have any more questions just ask or PM me. Glad to help.

Stone
Thanks man I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode