Workout / Rider Fitness Quiz the experts on general workout or rider fitness based questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Elliptical

what is your opinion about this?

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...sku=SR409#tabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
all the people who pose on those lift weights. lifting weights is the best way to stay toned and burned calories. if you don't have time and in a rush and only have 15/20 min a day then something like that is good. but if you can lift, lift.

stone's turn to chime in...that's my .02. not that lena cares

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey
all the people who pose on those lift weights. lifting weights is the best way to stay toned and burned calories. if you don't have time and in a rush and only have 15/20 min a day then something like that is good. but if you can lift, lift.

stone's turn to chime in...that's my .02. not that lena cares
But you should always do some cardio when you do lifting to strenghten your heart...

Lifting is the best way to burn calories? All the trainers I spoke to said the best way to burn calories is a good session of cardio... meaning you really got to sweat... especially if you want to loose the winter tire around your waist... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
lifting burns more calories over a 24 hour period. cardio burns more over that 1 hour or 2 hours or whatever you do. that study was done maybe 2 years ago and to be honest most "experts" in the field aren't experts.

you should do cardio for your heart, yes, but if you must choose i personally think lifting is better for you...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 AM

so would the optimal workout be both???
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:56 AM

Yep... excercise should be balanced... if you keeps on lifting/building but your heart can't take it at certain point, then there is no use... but simply doing just cardio has no harm... my point is, if you do just lifting, you should also do some cardio to balance it out...

:corn
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:13 AM

Oh btw... if you're doing both... the full cardio session should always be done after the weight lifthing. I've read many articles in different health magazines and they all said the same thing. However, there is no harm to do a short 5-min warm up session before weight lifting if you like, but keep in mind that you want to preserve all your strenght for weight lifting, so the full session cardio should be done afterward.

Btw... the most important thing is still your nutrition, that's the hardest part to keep it good.

:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Cool, my husband bought me that thing last night for my office. I gotta open the box and see if I need to put it together. Neat portable gadget to use while watching speed channel or motogp.com haha

I also have a Weider Pro 4250. I like that too but hardly (like NEVER lately) use it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Lena,
Elipticals are good machines because they cut out the jolts on your joints even walking you get the constant compression decompression that over time will wear out the joints.
You really should do both, they have their benefits but if you have to choose one. Choose weights. Weight training if done right raises your heart rate just like cardio does and keeps it elevated. It also automatically mimics interval training which you should be doing while doing cardio anyways. It boosts your heart rate to near maximum then drops it down. As long as you keep moving your heart rate will stay elevated. Corey is right though that a tough weight training session will cost more calories than a hard cardio workout. Even rebuilding itself the body has to use calories.

YOu really can get away with no cardio if you watch your diet strictly and your weight training is done right (full range of motion, small rests, stretching etc) but cardio is convenient. the real key to getting in shape is finding something you like and you can fit into your life. There is no one way.

I would think the only situation where you would only do cardio is if you were an extreme long distance athlete and you were trying to drop muscle. I've read about marathon runners doing tons of cardio to make the muscles as small as possible.

For all around health variety is always good. Go run a little, lift hard, hit the elliptical when you can and just keep it interesting. boredom is a real enemy here.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 PM

Val is right cardio should be done after weight training.

Doing weights after cardio you are effectivelly minimizing the benefits of both.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

You had me at something I like, fitting it into my life and boredom. I seen this eliptical thing and thought it was perfect for me. We'll see. Thanks you guys and Stone thanks for being thorough. Much appreciated. 8) I guess I'll go get it out of the box now.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM

If you really look at both types they are really quite the same in regards to the cardiovascular system. It is more difficult to get your heart rate and keep it at a certain rate for a long period with weights, but it can be done. But you dont want to be doing this anyways. Cardio is more effective when you do interval training. Weight training is simply cardio with a lot of resistance and little rests. WHIle cardio is a lot less resistance with no rests. Both work your heart very well.
I've probably done cardio 5x this year and my resting heart rate is 60bpm. Now this isn't amazing but if you take into account I weighed 255lbs when I took this my heart is working harder than it would have to if I was 160lbs like I was when I started lifting. So I think that is a good gauge of how healthy my heart is.
I think weight training gets a bad rap because people only do the fun stuff. they do biceps and chest, they never stretch, they stay away from lifts that include large muscle groups, and most of all they are lazy. They do a set of bench press then lie to their friends about how much they did last week. YOu gotta keep the pace up to work your heart.

If you lifted hard, watched what you ate, stretched, did lifts like, lunges, dead lifts, etc I really see no need for cardio, as your heart and auxillary muscles are getting worked plenty hard.

BUT!!! some people like cardio you do get a good feeling from it and you dont get as sore. So if you want to work the heart without moaning the next morning from being sore then do cardio.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Sinister,
For you yes the optimal would be both. For most people bottom line weight isn't an issue its only how they look so the scale is irrelevant. FOr you I would do a workout with lots of hand eye, hand foot work then do a 20 minute basic circuit training followed by some cardio.. How much cardio? good question.. if you are being pretty good on your diet I'd say 20 mins is fine. If you are really trying to drop weight 45 mins to an hour won't hurt you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode